GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our great friend and rider of many years, Thurman Elliott (age 86 now) or better known as Mr. "T" to many, sold his Champion Trike recently. His Black Cherry Surprise was published in Feb. 2005 Wing World. It was a surprise when he bought it too, however Thurman continues to surprise us all!! After saying he was done, recently he said he was having withdrawals...to quote him...."BAD"!! So, he purchased another trike today, so now we have our tailgunner back! AND so glad!!

I only hope when I make it to 86 (????) I feel and look as young as Mr. "T". One of the greatest statements ever said about MR. "T"; Riders that have never ridden with him will ask, "How about the old man"? Answer: Don't worry about the old man, he will still be going down the road tonight long after your asleep at the motel!!!!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
We have an ex-Marine that's going on 86, and still rides his 2 wheeler a lot. And, he can keep up with any of us. Very good rider. He lost his wife of about 60 yrs; a yr. ago, and that really took the wind out of his sails. But, he's been riding with us some lately. Still a very good rider.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have an ex-Marine that's going on 86, and still rides his 2 wheeler a lot. And, he can keep up with any of us. Very good rider. He lost his wife of about 60 yrs; a yr. ago, and that really took the wind out of his sails. But, he's been riding with us some lately. Still a very good rider.

Sorry to hear of your friends loss!! The riding is probably good therapy for him?

Mr. "T" and Ms. Violet (81) have been married now 65 years and she still rides with him, or did until he sold his other trike in July. Hopefully that won't change now.

"It didn't she rode again on today's ride Oct 1st".

·
Registered
653 Posts
Stovepipe, I sure would love to meet them. I really admire people that stick together thru thick and thin. Tell them hi for myself, and Carter P. (the marine) :thumbup:

BTW, they were married in 48, so that's what, 62 or 63 years. She was a whistle punk on a logging hi-lead yarder just north of us, way back when they used tube and dry cell type communications, circa 1949. A beautiful woman, but got dimentia really bad. So far, he doesn't seem to age. Kinda like Dick Clark.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
A smiling Mr T in a picture waving at us on his trike would be nice! I think its amazing how healthy some folks can stay in the old age.

I once went to lunch at the "last ride of the year" at the Stagecoach in Stockton Al. The award given to the oldest rider was to an 82 year old man from several states away.....and they dont give awards to trikes.

This is a fun event that will have riders from 2000 miles away just to eat lunch and head back. They have anywhere between 200 to 600 riders there depending on when DEC 30 hits and the weather.

http://www.thelastrideoftheyear.com/

Ive oftened wondered at what age I would quit riding if I had a choice in the matter. Its a little scary thinking about the Mrs in on the back and having an issue during a ride, but that could happen to any of us at any age.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
That's great about Mr T. I have a friend who's 89 and misses riding. No he's not "too old". He's in better shape than most 50 yr old people. His daughter made him quit because she "thinks" he's too old. Every time I see him he says how he misses riding and first rode back in 1939 and all his stories of the road, riding from Denver to Chicago in January in 10 degree temps. I said "didn't your hands freeze"? No, my hands never get cold he says. Guy's made out of steel, but daughter who hasn't even ridden a tricycle knows better than he does about his abilitys. :wrong: Bitch tells him what he can or can't do?

·
Registered
653 Posts
A very handsome man, especially at 86. I'll try to get a shot of Carter tomorrow, and post it Sunday.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
wow... at age 86 he looks better than "a friend" of mine that is much younger ... yep a friend, that is my story

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A very handsome man, especially at 86. I'll try to get a shot of Carter tomorrow, and post it Sunday.
He says that it's the Cherokee Indian in him that keeps him young. I say it's that hard work, clean family farm living and his great woman behind him. Whatever it may be, we hope God sees it fit for him to enjoy many more years with that family and his friends!

We have about a 250 miler planned for later this morning, so last night I asked if he was going and he said; "you bet what time we leaving"?

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Mr. "T"s pic when he was 85 (taken in 2010) with his "Black Cherry Surprise" Trike.

A story on Thurman was published in February 2005 Wing World about him and the surprise when he bought the trike in the picture at his age then of nearly 79 (in 2005).

My hat is off to him. :bow: Maybe you could get him to join this forum and give us a few words of wisdom about life and living.:p

:thumbup:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My hat is off to him. :bow: Maybe you could get him to join this forum and give us a few words of wisdom about life and living.:p

:thumbup:
Gramps

That's one thing he or Ms Violet doesn't do is computers. While he was Chaplain for our Fire Department, they had an email set-up but since he retired that position they don't even own a computer anymore. You know that could be wonderful and I look forward to that day too!!!! No computer, cell phone or radio, then if someone wanted me they would have to knock on my door, that's if my outside dogs knew them first.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mr. T with Ms Violet riding 2 up joined us today for near 200 miles of our trip. I guess that answered our question; yes she is still going to ride.

I told him about the posting and what you guys have said and he said to say hello from him and to thank you all. So, Greatings from Mr. T and a Big Thank You too!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Congrats to the "older" guys still riding. I'm only 69, and the way I feel, I won't even live that long.

A few years ago I met a gentleman still riding a 1500, and learned later he was 87.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts