GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding the Goldwing in the MSF Advance Motorcycle Course tomorrow. Anything I need to know that may help or words of advice. The weather channel's calling for isolated showers, so it could be interesting...

·
Registered
157 Posts
You will have some issues with the linked braking system and their quick stops using the rear brake only. When I took it several years ago, the Goldwing riders had to skip these exercises. I don't know if they still do it this way or not. Great training, however.

·
Registered
654 Posts
We talkin ERC (Experienced Riders course), now called basic riders course 2?? If so, a lot of the exercises are very similar to the BRC with a faster pace to them. The quick stop uses both brakes so you'll be fine there. The Wing is more than capable on all ERC exercises as a matter of fact. All the basics still apply. Look where you want to go, use the friction zone and take the advice of the coaches.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Riding the Goldwing in the MSF Advance Motorcycle Course tomorrow. Anything I need to know that may help or words of advice. The weather channel's calling for isolated showers, so it could be interesting...
Excellent course -- really sharpened my skills. I took it on a Vrod which isn't as heavy as a Wing, but has Goldwing-poor low speed handling. My biggest concern was a tip over as the Rod had no protection. Never came close to a drop -- just followed the instructors' advice -- and have fun!

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Listen to the instructor. Hopefully you'll get the fellow with a red wing...I think his name is Don Riffe. At any rate, he'll want you to get you butt hanging off the saddle towards outside of the turn, while doing the tight circles and figure 8s. Good luck.

·
Registered
654 Posts
crap- I must've misunderstood the OP some how. From what I understand the ARC and the military sport bike class are very similar. Go here http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294803 to read a writeup I just posted about the sport bike class I took today. Although we didn't do any figure 8s today. get your butt off the seat in the circles, had I figured this out earlier I would have dragged less parts.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!

Look where you are going and NOT where you are at. In other words, look ahead and trust your peripheral vision.

That was the best piece of advice I picked up and have used since. :thumbup:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I thought I signed up for the MSF Advanced Rider Course, but found out once I arrived, it was Lee Park's Total Control Advanced Motorcycle Clinic. Evidently Apex Cycle Education felt the MSF advanced course wasn't, so they switched to Park's curriculum about six months ago (Simultaneous throttle / brake manipulation through the turns, delayed pivot points, 10-point cornering, etc.). It was all about cornering and shifting your weight off the bike before the turn, better end-of-turn visuals, and using counterbalance in every turn. I discovered I typically lean in the wrong direction prior to attending to today. It was a great course overall. Dave Hepburn's a fantastic instructor (also owns the business)...

Note: I've read on this forum of people going out and practicing grinding the pegs for the shear fun of it and never understood why. Today while driving a learning point home, Dave said "you need to get out and practice skills that take you out of your comfort zone! It's the only way to learn how to deal with the unexpected when it eventually comes your way!". The light came on and I immediately understood! I guess you can teach old dogs new tricks... :bow:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Well, I thought I signed up for the MSF Advanced Rider Course, but found out once I arrived, it was Lee Park's Total Control Advanced Motorcycle Clinic. Evidently Apex Cycle Education felt the MSF advanced course wasn't, so they switched to Park's curriculum about six months ago (Simultaneous throttle / brake manipulation through the turns, delayed pivot points, 10-point cornering, etc.). It was all about cornering and shifting your weight off the bike before the turn, better end-of-turn visuals, and using counterbalance in every turn. I discovered I typically lean in the wrong direction prior to attending to today. It was a great course overall. Dave Hepburn's a fantastic instructor (also owns the business)...

Note: I've read on this forum of people going out and practicing grinding the pegs for the shear fun of it and never understood why. Today while driving a learning point home, Dave said "you need to get out and practice skills that take you out of your comfort zone! It's the only way to learn how to deal with the unexpected when it eventually comes your way!". The light came on and I immediately understood! I guess you can teach old dogs new tricks... :bow:
J.D., it sounds like you had a good time and it was money well spent:thumbup:. I wish more motorcyclists would learn to ride a motorcycle.

·
Registered
229 Posts

:bow:
Can you elaborate on the leaning--your before and your after techniques?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Keep it in second gear throughout the course. That was recommended by my instructor that was a GoldWing rider himself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts