GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking the MSF ERC on Thu this week and I'm a little concerned about idling the bike for 5-6 hrs and never going over 10mph. Have any of you taken this course? Can I expect my bike to overheat?

I'm also concerned about the trials they put you through. I heard they were designed for a much smaller bike to maneuver. Any advice you share will be greatly appreciated.

I took the MOST Plus course in '87, I assume it was the predessor to the MSF series of courses, and passed it easily. I've also taken the GA motorcycle test, waaay easy. What should I practice to get through the ERC?

Thanks in advance.
Dave

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
dbdj said:
I'm taking the MSF ERC on Thu this week and I'm a little concerned about idling the bike for 5-6 hrs and never going over 10mph. Have any of you taken this course? Can I expect my bike to overheat?
Your bike won't be running constantly. You will receive some verbal instructions, then ride a bit, stop for more instructions, ride for a bit. I didn't have a problem with overheating--even in Texas weather.

dbdj said:
I'm also concerned about the trials they put you through. I heard they were designed for a much smaller bike to maneuver. Any advice you share will be greatly appreciated.
I took the course with a bunch of Harley cruisers and all of us sailed through with no problems. Some turns may feel tight, but the Wing will handle them just fine.

Don't push your own limits further than you think YOU can handle. The bike will be fine. If you are worried about laying it down (I know I was :shock:), get some plastic wire ties and 1" heater hose. Cut and wrap the heater hose around your crash bars and hold them in place with the wire ties. Works GREAT! :D

Good luck and enjoy the day!

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
1percent is right. I took it. You should be fine.

It's a great class. Have fun!

·
Registered
999 Posts
The ERC is geat, the wing will amaze you with its manuverability (it can turn in much less room than most sport bikes) and its ability to stop on a dime while giving 8 cents change.

Regarding overheating, that should be a complete NON-ISSUE. I have never heard of a wing overheating while stopped and idling. The cooling issue is typically when running at a sustained 10-14 mph into a headwind (so the fans are having trouble ejecting air out the front or when running above 14 mph with an equivalent tailwind so the fans are off and there is no relative wind to circulate air over the radiators.

If your ERC course is anything like mine wasm these circumstances will not be present. You will be doing substantial manuvering and spend enough time stopped that there should be no issue at all.

Relax and have fun! Your confidence in your riding skills and your mount will be greatly increased.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I've been through the ERC on the GL1800 and don't recall my temp gauge at all. You should do just fine. As far as the size of the bike, the drills they put you through are challenging but I think anyone on a Wing should be able to knock them out. It was actually a pretty cool chance for me to show off what the wing could do.

As far as practice to prepare for the ERC, if necessary, you can hit any parking lot with a can of spray chalk and a tape measure and run the courses that the professional create. Here's a link to one of the typical setups. I do it at least once a month with a bunch of friends on various brands and makes of bikes. Its a fun way spend an afternoon and advance your skills at the same time.

WARNING: Link is to an extremely large PDF file (2.34 MB). If you are usinga dial-up connection, don't bother. The course layout section starts on page 57. http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/Riding_Tips.pdf

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Took the course twice in 2 years. If you use just some of the things that you learn, it will greatly improve your riding ability. I'll take it again next year.

·
Registered
922 Posts
yup mine overheated so much the frame melted....

Just joking, heat will be no problem for the bike, bring water for you though.

Use 2nd gear for everything, do not use the front brake except for the panic stop, and if you have ABS really jam on the brakes for that maneuver.

For me the hardest thing was the box, but it was no problem, you will be turning the bars lock to lock, but it handles well, be sure your tire pressure is up there (42 front and rear I used.) this will make it more responsive. Try to avoid putting your leg down in some of the tight turns, I just about busted my ankle by the passenger floor board hitting it.

It's lots of fun, we did it as a club. The rookies were right next to us ina different part of the parking lot, so they got to see a gaggle of goldwings doing tight turns ect....Pretty amusing...

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
No issue... Aircooled V-Twins are normally the ones that get "grabby" clutch and other symptoms.. You'll be fine, enjoy!!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I took the ERC in May... was nervous but I did great.... There was another couple on a wing there doing the course two up... I said if he can do this so can I... and yes... the wing WILL do the small (solid) box... Ask hubby (Punkinwing) about it

Melissa

·
Registered
484 Posts
First off let me say the ERC class has saved my butt many times in both motorcycle and car driving. Lots of the braking and swerving items you can apply to 4 wheel vehicle. The class is pretty inexpensive and well worth it. I took it on a GL1500 and the bike did not overheat. However, the starter motor didn't want to work once the bike got hot. The teacher warned us that some bikes will start to screw up and if they do, just bail out of the particular manuver at that time and ride laps around the outside perimiter of the parking lot at about 20-30mph to let bike cool down or just park your bike. In our class there was no pass or fail. You simply completed the class or you didn't. If you showed up for all the hours and did all the manuvers, you completed the class. You already have your motorcycle license so don't sweat it. The ERC class is to make you a better driver and does not affect your drivers licsense like the basic class. You should report that you took the class to your insurance and ask them to give you a discount on your premium. Many companies will cut you slack for completing the ERC.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
:D I took the ERC on my 05 GW. Piece of cake. Never knew the bike would turn and stop like it did. We did it during the heat of the summer, temp was just above 90, no sweat on the overheat. We did the same thing about running laps to cool down. If things started to boil, pull out of the group and run a lap, but no one had to do it. It was a kick and well worth the time and cash. I try to do it each year or so. Great training to emphasize practice with such a large machine. Ride safe...... :D

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
i took the class in July

very good class

Honda paid for it

·
Registered
35 Posts
As to the over heating I have no idea.

As to dropping the Wing in the course,If I had my chioce I would drop it in the course learning, than out on the road and thinking what should I do.

I did the ERC on the 1500 and the guys on the 1800s did so much better in the box,but I really learned alot and helped me later.

I don't care what you ride,JUST TAKE THE COURSE and enjoy.

Mike(good luck and be safe)Whiz-Kid

·
Registered
463 Posts
ERC

The bike will be fine. I took the ERC in July of 2004, solo. Went back in 2006 with a passenger and we both learned a lot. It is my goal to do the ERC at least every two years. Never hurts to refresh the old memory. Best 5 hours I have ever spent in the saddle. What I learned has made my riding a lot more fun and the ability of the wing never ceases to amaze me. Have fun!!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Took the ERC earlier this year, there will be no problem with the wing. I took it with about 6 other GL1800's (including the instructor), a couple of GL1500 and a 'BUSA. The guy on the 'BUSA was plain dumb. First, he showed up having just taken his front brakes apart and they weren't working. Then he wouldn't listen to the instructor about when to start and stop. Finally after messing up in some of the weaves because of the brakes, he left.

One of the GL1500's alternator died and the battery finally gave out. The instructor actually let the guy finish on his bike. All in all, the best was the box, first with the normal box and then an inside line making the box even smaller. Remember to actually move your butt in the opposite direction to the lean of the bike (counter to high speed turns).

Great class, the wing is a great bike to do it on. No problems.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies. You certainly helped my confidence in the bike...now, if I can just get comfortable turning this thing lock to lock I'll be okay. I'm now really looking forward to the course.

I saw in some of the posts where some of you paid for the course. I'm stationed at Robins AFB and they apparently pick up the tab because it's not costing me a cent...a good thing in my book.

Again, thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Dave,

I took the ERC in May of this year. The whole week had been in the 70 - 75 degree area. The day of the course 92! on the temp gauge! Not one problem with the bike but I drank a gallon of water LOL.

Listen to the instructors - they will give you excellent tips on doing each phase of the course.

The box is manageable on the wing - you will be SURPRISED just how "lite" the wing will handle.

The slow creep - you will be amazed at how the wing will balance for 8 or 9 seconds just inching along.

AND second gear is the charm. Just keep the bike in second gear all the time. You don't have to worry about shifting.

Here in PA the motorcycle endorsement charge on our license pays for the course.

·
Registered
552 Posts
cycledude said:
i took the class in July

very good class

Honda paid for it
Yep... HRCA has it's benefits. Let's see, for $45 a year you can take a MSF course and get back $75. Plus if you are on vacation or something and your bike is in the shop for a few days, they reimburse your travel expenses up to $500. Plus they will tow you to the nearest Honda dealer of your choice.

The GWRRA program totally sucks in comparison to the HRCA. With the advent of the internet and the various motorcycle boards, even the Gold Book has lost it's value.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
No overheating issues with mine either.

I took the instructors course and we had to use their bikes, 250's. Maybe I'm jsut used to my Wing, but some of the items were HARDER using the smaller bike! The box is one example; easy on the Wing, tough on the little bike.

The only place the little bike had the advantage was the S curve. You cannot even walk a Wing through it so you must move your rear end off the seat on the opposite side.

My experiences,
David M.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts