GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to ride to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska next year and might plan a stop in Colorado to do Mt. Evans and Pikes Peak. August is the time frame we're looking at. What do you guys think? Should we plan it on the way north or on the way back?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Check weather/radar for possible oncoming storms. Hit them as early in the day as possible, avoid traffic and afternoon storms that are common in Colorado in the summer.
I've been up both...in June/July/August/Sept/Oct and had perfect weather to hail, cloud bursts, and snow...
They are both worth the time out of your way to see.

Pic on the "W's" on the way down Pikes.

Shot @ the top as a quick snow/fog storm blew through....It was ~65' at the base, but was 21' at the top with 30 mph winds! (early June)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
We've been up Mt Evans just after Memorial Day which was the first day it opened to the top. It was 30degs on the bike thermometer with winds blowing at 60mph. Made for an interesting ride up and down. There was ice in the parking area on top and all over the observation area.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If you are planning to go all the way to the top of Mt. Evans, I recommend going on the way up to Alaska. The top 5 miles of road closes the Monday after Labor Day. You can still ride up to Echo Lake until they close due to weather in early October.

·
Registered
896 Posts
If you are planning to go all the way to the top of Mt. Evans, I recommend going on the way up to Alaska. The top 5 miles of road closes the Monday after Labor Day. You can still ride up to Echo Lake until they close due to weather in early October.
Agreed. The closer to Sept the closer to hitting bad weather on top.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Mt. Evens Pikes Peak

I've ridden up Mt. Evens twice., Both times in July, totally different rides. The first time blue shies no problems. The second time there was sleet, rain, snow mixed and a double rain bow at the top. Beautiful. Also rode up Pikes Peak in July. No problems.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Check weather/radar for possible oncoming storms. Hit them as early in the day as possible, avoid traffic and afternoon storms that are common in Colorado in the summer.
I've been up both...in June/July/August/Sept/Oct and had perfect weather to hail, cloud bursts, and snow...
They are both worth the time out of your way to see.

Pic on the "W's" on the way down Pikes.

Shot @ the top as a quick snow/fog storm blew through....It was ~65' at the base, but was 21' at the top with 30 mph winds! (early June)

come on man, you trailered that Rune up to the top. Look how clean that sucker is:yes1:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
come on man, you trailered that Rune up to the top. Look how clean that sucker is:yes1:
nope.... I don't believe they allow trailers on the highway even.

Picture at the lake on the way down...you can see the peak is still in the clouds:

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
We live 11 miles from the summit, 2 blocks from the Mt Evans Wilderness on the south side and have ridden it many times.

I think that Ol Zeb's Mtn is tame compared to Mt. Evans as the road to the peak of Evans drops down to a lane and a half near the top.

You should be comfortable with 180 degree switchbacks with 12-16% grades going up and NO guardrails.

As other have said, early mornings are better do to the afternoon storms that roll in.

Good luck with you quest and enjoy the trip, it sounds awesome!

·
Registered
707 Posts
My last visit to the top of Mt. Evan was with PODO, Pingjockey, and Rickster. Beautiful ride up and warm sunshine at the top, great photo opportunity. On the way down, we hit a hail storm and snow, all out one big cloud. Wouldn't trade that ride for anything! When Cheri and headed toward Pikes Peak, she suggested (!!!!) the Cog-train. Beautiful mountains,but the best memories are of the friends you ride with. Have a great time on your trip!

·
Registered
430 Posts
My last visit to the top of Mt. Evan was with PODO, Pingjockey, and Rickster. Beautiful ride up and warm sunshine at the top, great photo opportunity. On the way down, we hit a hail storm and snow, all out one big cloud. Wouldn't trade that ride for anything! When Cheri and headed toward Pikes Peak, she suggested (!!!!) the Cog-train. Beautiful mountains,but the best memories are of the friends you ride with. Have a great time on your trip!
Been living and riding in CO since '82. Been up Mt Evans twice, once as first checkpoint on Ironbutt ride at sunrise. Came around a corner and there were sheep on side of the road. Too early for much traffic, but the first time I went up there with the wife, I had to share the narrow road with idiot flatlanders in Ford Expeditions and the like, who thought it was a great idea to go down the center of the road, leaving me little room. Wasn't bad going up, but coming down I had the drop off side with no guard rails :eek:4: so if OP goes up there, just be careful and don't look down :lol: Never been up Pikes Peak so guess I should do that. I believe it's now paved, at least most of the way.

2,732 Posts
Mount Evans

Here are pics of some of the sheep at the top of Mt. Evans. Cute little buggers, they are....................

motorcycle4.jpg

motorcycle5.jpg

Here is the road up to the top................be careful, be very very careful!!!

Millon Dollar Highway then.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts