GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me if the road to Mt. Washinton NH is paved all the way to the top? Thanks. I need to know now, cause I'm leaving for there tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Yes, the road to the top of Mt. washington is paved up to the parking lot, immediately below the observation area.
Be prepared to take the tourist van shuttle, if the winds are too strong and they ban motorcycles. I took the shuttle in late Sept. The winds were 70 MPH at the top. Air temp was 70 at the bottom and 28F at the top! They have the record for the highest recorded winds of 230 MPH.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I believe that there is still a section of gravel road, but most of it is paved.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the quick response. 28 degrees.....sheeeeesh. I'll be sure to take my down jacket.

·
Registered
472 Posts
There are sections that are packed gravel/dirt but they are easy to navigate.

You'll have a great trip, we took the wing up a month or two ago and had a great time.

Once they get ice at the top the shut down the road - may happen any time. Last year we missed it by less than 24 hrs. they shut it down the morning we showed up. They told us they don't do this on any particular date, just depends on the weather at the summit and once they shut down the road it's closed for the season. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Rode it a couple of weeks ago. The section that was dirt and gravel was well packed and no problem. Be careful near the bottom when you firs start up. The pavement is in pretty bad shape in some places.

·
Registered
185 Posts
mt wash

Last time I rode it was in 1973, I was on a Kawasaki 750 triple, 2 stroke chain saw, did a wheelie from the base to the summit, road was ok, wife was really pissed.. Cloudy most times.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, wife is packing Wing as I type this.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The road is 1/3 gravel......did it last summer.....weather at the top is way different than weather at the bottom......They'll tell you at the bottom if you shouldn't go up........joy

·
Registered
403 Posts
I rode it in 2004 on our way back from Newfoundland. Be careful of the cage drivers coming back down. Some of them are scared to be on the narrow road and hug the middle. That is an issue because of the washouts on the right side. Definitely worth the trip though! Incredible views!

·
Co-Sponsor
444 Posts
Well you should be going by our store on the way stop in and say Hello... We are off exit 87 on 395 in Ct... Heck will give you a deal on brake pads after coming down MT. Washington :) If you stop to eat in Gorham there is an Oriental restaurant there get the Kush-Kush for an appitizer they are great.. Name of the place is Yokohama-

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you take the bike, keep this in mind: I once spoke to a man in Keene, N.H., who said he had done the trip to the top but due to a sudden weather change the road was closed and his V.W. stayed till the next spring. Don't know if it's true, but I halfway believe it. The changes can be quick and brutal.

·
Registered
285 Posts
One-third gravel!? Boy, it must have deteriorated a lot since the last time I rode up it. Could swear the gravel was only a few hundred yards near the summit -- for a relatively small fraction of the total distance, maybe a tenth at most.

And once in the late '80s when Bob Carpenter (then the Editor of RoadRider, the magazine that morphed into today's Motorcycle Consumer News) hoped to lead us up in early June, it was open the day before, closed the morning we hoped to do it, but opened again the next day. So I don't think it's necessarily accurate to say that once they close it it's closed for the season.

Things change, of course, so I could be wrong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts