GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a set of Mufflers from a 2012 fit onto my 2006? I am tired of the "Torque Monsters" and picked up a set from a 2012. The parts fiche shows different Part numbers for the gaskets for the two years.

18392-MAM-000 for 2006

18392-MCA-S40 for 2012

Which ones should use if the Mufflers will fit.

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Any Idea why the different part numbers?

·
Chard Member
12,961 Posts
Don't have a clue. They just do it. Sometimes it's a manufacturer change.

In about '04 they added a heat shield to the right muffler. That's the only diff I know about. I've flip flopped a bunch of mufflers since my first '01. lol

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
I have a set of stock mufflers off of a 2013 F6B minus the tips. I do have tips off of my 08 that I took off when I put turndowns on that will fit. Let me know if your interested. I have been told its the same exhaust but you might want to double check that.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Manufacturers will often change part numbers for a variety of reasons that may or may not have anything to do with physical interchangeability. Sometimes it is done so that a change in material or the supplier of the part can be tracked in their inventory or if/when the part shows up in the warranty system it's failure rate (or lack there-of) can be tracked and cost recovery assigned to the supplier of the part. Other times the part number is changed to signify a change in the design of the part. A good and recent example of where this didn't happen . . . and the result of not changing the part number caused all sorts of problems for the manufacturer . . . can be seen in General Motors recent fiasco with their Ignition Switch, where it was redesigned, but the part number was not changed. The result of which caused all manner of confusion and lack of action from the engineering portions of the company. A seemingly small thing with absolutely terrible results.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Manufacturers will often change part numbers for a variety of reasons that may or may not have anything to do with physical interchangeability. Sometimes it is done so that a change in material or the supplier of the part can be tracked in their inventory or if/when the part shows up in the warranty system it's failure rate (or lack there-of) can be tracked and cost recovery assigned to the supplier of the part. Other times the part number is changed to signify a change in the design of the part. A good and recent example of where this didn't happen . . . and the result of not changing the part number caused all sorts of problems for the manufacturer . . . can be seen in General Motors recent fiasco with their Ignition Switch, where it was redesigned, but the part number was not changed. The result of which caused all manner of confusion and lack of action from the engineering portions of the company. A seemingly small thing with absolutely terrible results.
Yeah. I get all that. Without ordering both how does a shade tree mechanic know which is which when they don't post the specs ??

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Yeah. I get all that. Without ordering both how does a shade tree mechanic know which is which when they don't post the specs ??
Use the OEM Parts Book.

When a replacement Part Number is released, the old Part Number will be superseded with the new one. This is SOP. Many times additional information regarding VIN Breaks are also included.

BTW, I don't know of any OEM that will publish their engineering release documents, what you refer to as the "specs", that would be industrial/business suicide, like publishing the formula for Coca-cola. These folks aren't in this for any altruistic values, they're in it to make money for their stock holders. From an OEM perspective the "specs" ARE the Parts Books.

If you don't have access to a current OEM Parts book, or it's electronic equivalent . . . then, the hard truth is . . . you are pretty much on your own.

Before you ask . . . no OEM can control what the Aftermarket does. There is no one, and nothing to prevent the sale of an inferior part, and more than there is any way to prevent the sale of superior parts. The saying that covers this aspect of our free enterprise system is, "caveat emptor"!

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
Do the part numbers you are quoting include the tip?

Tips were changed from a 3 - hole design to a 1 - hole design. I'm not sure the year but I'd guess it was when the taillights and audio systme were changed. Someone will correct me but I think '06'

Our '03 has the old design and the '08 had the new (but it's been changed to downturns).

Tips are interchangeable between years.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do the part numbers you are quoting include the tip?

Tips were changed from a 3 - hole design to a 1 - hole design. I'm not sure the year but I'd guess it was when the taillights and audio systme were changed. Someone will correct me but I think '06'

Our '03 has the old design and the '08 had the new (but it's been changed to downturns).

Tips are interchangeable between years.

18392-MAM-000 for 2006

18392-MCA-S40 for 2012

These are for the gaskets. Ordered the 2006 part# and the Mufflers are now on the bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts