GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wandering around on another forum earlier today and noted Paul Herold called it quits back in October of 2017. I don't think I saw anything posted here about it. Here's a bit of press about it:

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/...photographer-group-rock-store-photos-disbands

I'm truly aware of the various motorcycle circles out there. Our small circle of riders may or may not intersect with a wider circle of general motorcycle enthusiasts. After all, don't really want to be out there with a road full of squids that close together - I get it. There are dozens of YouTube videos that capture this behavior for all to laugh and point at.

This also was the thread that I learned that back in 2016, a length of this same road was marked with no parking signs, simply to limit hazards stopped on the side of the road to watch (and record) traffic, and for those who were going to engage in squidly, and probably illegal, behavior.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...ve-no-stopping-signs-on-the-snake-107696.html

My last pass thru there was 2-up back in November of 2016. It was the same weekend that a huge disorganized pack of cyclists was on the road at the same time. It was Boys and Girls Club charity event featuring Peter Sagan. They paid $350 each to ride public streets. There was quite the support set up at the lookout area at the top of the hill, which is probably why I missed seeing any of these signs on my last visit.

If you're not from the area, and taken the few minutes to cruise Mulholland and have a photo taken, apparently they're still available from his web page. I'm posting this to state I have two images that I didn't buy from Paul from that ride. I think I'll do that later this week.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
"a huge disorganized pack of cyclists"
:surprise:
That kind of describes every weekend between the Rock Store and the top of The Snake on Mulholland Drive. LOL

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I was riding that in February and last October, and quite a few times over the years before. I didn’t realize there was a photographer like on the Dragon. I didn’t see anyone. Of course I usually was riding it early in the morning with very little traffic.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weekends.

Weedays are normally pretty quiet up there.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've known Paul for a number of years as the Malibu Alps is in my back yard, and I have lunch most Friday's at the Rock Store (come on down and say Hi when you're in the area - look for either my Wing or my Moto Guzzi Norge). In addition to the things mentioned in the article, Paul's lease was up on the place he was renting and he decided to not renew and live somewhere else for a while.

The no parking thing also played a part. Paul could no longer park his truck on the corner. He parked down the hill, loaded all his gear into a bicycle trailer and rode up to the corner. Incidentally, the week after the city put in the no parking signs, someone lost it coming out of the corner and ran into one of the signs. Anyone who has spent time up there could have predicted that happening.

The rational behind the no parking signs was to, hopefully (so thought the home owners as they were the ones pushing for it), reduce traffic up and down the hill. Hasn't worked. There is still just as much traffic as before the signs and with Paul taking photos.

Jon (Highwayphotos.net) is still taking photos further down Mulholland, closer to Malibu State Park. Not as much concern at his corner for people over riding the highway.

Be safe out there.

jdg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts