GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever ride this place? The "SNAKE".......looking at several Youtubes on sportbikes out running police cars.....looks alittle dangerous but also like a bucket list ride.

·
Banned
350 Posts
Since I live a few miles away...ridden it probably a hundred times. Its fun but its not the Dragon. Rock Store is a fun hang out on weekends.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Anyone ever ride this place? The "SNAKE".......looking at several Youtubes on sportbikes out running police cars.....looks alittle dangerous but also like a bucket list ride.
the turns can sneak up on you, which is why you find a lot of high-side and low-side accidents on youtube there, as well as those who just don't make the turns. I don't think I would put it as a bucket list item, but it's a fun stretch of road. I think Angeles Crest is much closer to making a bucket-list.

Here's a picture of me going through(two-up)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/capfacsurf/5704227491/in/set-72157626561098297/
We weren't in a hurry, but it took a lot of lean to get through the turn.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe not to ride just to watch the crazies....cars and bikes

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Maybe not to ride just to watch the crazies....cars and bikes
I've thought about that as well. I just enjoy riding too much to just sit there and watch(unless I'm tired of riding).

It's a fun ride, just don't get into the habit of "It's a 25mph turn, I can take it at 45mph". This is a recipe for disaster on this road. Learn the road riding at a 'safe' speed, then kick it up a notch once you know what the road is like. Look at the road, and don't show off for the cameras.

·
Registered
9,199 Posts
Yep - fun ride.

Got close to, but not a chance to get to the Dragon - maybe next time.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Lockwood Valley Road is another good section off of Hwy 33. Hwy 178 out of Bakersfield to Lake Isabella will give the Snake and the Dragon a run for their money.

The road up to the Observatory in San Jose is another great road that has the same "if it's 10 mph" then it's "10 mph" turn even on a motorcycle.

Deer Lodge was always a good place to eat and watch the Butt Pirates on sunday afternoon. BBQ, live music, and a couple cold ones.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Lockwood Valley Road is another good section off of Hwy 33. Hwy 178 out of Bakersfield to Lake Isabella will give the Snake and the Dragon a run for their money.

The road up to the Observatory in San Jose is another great road that has the same "if it's 10 mph" then it's "10 mph" turn even on a motorcycle.

Deer Lodge was always a good place to eat and watch the Butt Pirates on sunday afternoon. BBQ, live music, and a couple cold ones.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant
Some good road suggestions ^^. The BBQ at the Deer Lodge is pretty darned good. Not the best I've had, but good food.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I used to get out to CA on business fairly often and had friends with extra bikes so I got a chance to do a good share of riding out there. I did get Mulholland and Ortega Highway as well as the Rock Store checked off my bucket list. So much real nice riding out there that it almost makes up for the urban traffic.... or not...:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,199 Posts
<...> So much real nice riding out there that it almost makes up for the urban traffic.... or not...:thumbup:
That's all part of the fun, my friend... :doorag:

There's plenty of Cal that can be ridden without traffic:

See? Not a car in sight. :lol:

Chat up the locals...a couple of good suggestions earlier in this thread.

Here's another...find Jalama Road...that was a fun little diversion.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Still living nearby, I've been riding Mulholland since I was 16. Which means I've crossed over the 'Snake' portion hundreds of times.

It is not near as dangerous as those Youtube videos display. If you ride your own ride with a sane frame of mind & speed, you'll be fine. There are only a handful of turns that are really tight.

My avatar photo was taken there on Mulholland by Rockstorephotos.com. The photographer is in two locations during the day. In the early AM he positions himself at a lower elevation, below the 'Snake'. By mid-day he moves up to the 'Snake' at the most active turns, which can be seen here
http://www.youtube.com/user/rnickeymouse?blend=8&ob=5#p/u/40/6em1G-Gxhpo

Sunday mornings and throughout the day are the busiest. During the week you would have it to yourself. Even Saturdays are not too bad.

If you just wanted to go there to get amused by all the idiots, go on a Sunday. The safest place to park is on top of the 'Snake'. There is a long parking lot, shade trees to stand under, and a really good view of the action. If you park down lower, at the busy turns where all the action is, you'll be parking in the dirt. But this area is not safe. If you scroll through the videos of the link above, you'll see how a few riders and cars driving recklessly end up in that very dirt hitting people and parked cars.

There are many great roads in those mountains. So spending the day trying them all would be a "bucket list" day. But just the 'Snake' alone is not.

Have fun. PM me when you'll be down in the area and I'll show you the best ones.

George

·
Registered
9,199 Posts
<...>Sunday mornings and throughout the day are the busiest. During the week you would have it to yourself. Even Saturdays are not too bad.
Yep...'bout this time last year, on a Saturday morning...completely forgot that they were there when I got caught:

·
Love The DCT
11,795 Posts

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant
That's Hwy 130, also known as Mt. Hamilton Road that goes to the Mt Hamilton Observatory in San Jose. Definitely a fun ride on a motorcycle. :doorag:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts