GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I copied the last six tires on the list which are shown as the most popular. I then scratched the Kumho as I ride in some very cold weather. I went to two tire stores and gave them the list. The only two still available are the Conti Pro Contact SSR 195/55/16 and the Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 the price on both are within 3 or 4 of $200.00 I do want a run flat, so which one of the two has the roundest shoulders?
Thanks, Dennis

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, just so I don't have to go back through all the post to find out, what will that tire do to the speedometer error? And, I guess you're telling me that it has a rounder profile than the 195/55 ? Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This seemed like a simple project when I started out with my list this morning. I just called some of the same tire stores I went to and they tell me that the 175/60/16 Dunlop ROF is not available. So, where did you get it? I think these guys at the tire store are not interested in getting me one special (to them) tire.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I copied the last six tires on the list which are shown as the most popular. I then scratched the Kumho as I ride in some very cold weather. I went to two tire stores and gave them the list. The only two still available are the Conti Pro Contact SSR 195/55/16 and the Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 the price on both are within 3 or 4 of $200.00 I do want a run flat, so which one of the two has the roundest shoulders?
Thanks, Dennis

So what your saying is: #1 the Kuhmo does not work in cold weather!

#2 Your saying tire companies quit making every 195/55-16 tire except the two you listed!

I don't find anything anywhere that says #1 or #2 is correct. Might I ask where you got this info?

Thanks
Chuck...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what your saying is: #1 the Kuhmo does not work in cold weather!

#2 Your saying tire companies quit making every 195/55-16 tire except the two you listed!

I don't find anything anywhere that says #1 or #2 is correct. Might I ask where you got this info?

Thanks
Chuck...
From reading the information on the Kumho tire, it does state that it is a summer tire and not to be used in snow, ice, or freezing weather. The fact that it is number one choice did surprise me but, that is what the information says. It is not something I made up.

No, I did not say that the tire companies quit anything. I did give the information that I was given by the tire companies that I contacted. I did check on the tires I mention as being the most popular on the list and was told that only two were still available. I then went through the same thing asking about the Dunlop 175/60/16 and was told that it is not available either.

I realize that they were available somewhere at sometime, or the people on here would not have them on their bikes. BUT, they are not available in Amarillo Texas.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
From reading the information on the Kumho tire, it does state that it is a summer tire and not to be used in snow, ice, or freezing weather. The fact that it is number one choice did surprise me but, that is what the information says. It is not something I made up.

No, I did not say that the tire companies quit anything. I did give the information that I was given by the tire companies that I contacted. I did check on the tires I mention as being the most popular on the list and was told that only two were still available. I then went through the same thing asking about the Dunlop 175/60/16 and was told that it is not available either.

I realize that they were available somewhere at sometime, or the people on here would not have them on their bikes. BUT, they are not available in Amarillo Texas.
My Discount Tire here says Kuhmo has not quit making them.

Also I have rode in 10 degree weather here in the mountains and
they stick like glue. Which after reading your post surprises me..

Thanks for clearing up your post..

·
Registered
470 Posts
Kinkywinks,
I bought the Conti-Pro Contack 195-55/16 last year and paid $137.00 including taxes. Either the prices have gone up dramitically or someone is trying to make a huge profit. JMHO Semper-fi:flg:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kinkywinks,
I bought the Conti-Pro Contack 195-55/16 last year and paid $137.00 including taxes. Either the prices have gone up dramitically or someone is trying to make a huge profit. JMHO Semper-fi:flg:
I got that price from Discount Tires in Amarillo Texas. They didn't act like they wanted to talk to me after I told them I only needed "One To Go"

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I contacted Trialsman and he gave me the phone number of the Discount Tire store in Woodstock Ga. I talked to them and then had the guy at Discount Tire in Amarillo Texas call them. We finally got the part number for the tire and they entered it into their computer in Amarillo. My Dunlop 175/60/16 Run Flat is on the way. Total cost with tax and shipping, $194.85 Thanks "Everone" for helping me get it figured out.

·
Registered
419 Posts
OK, I contacted Trialsman and he gave me the phone number of the Discount Tire store in Woodstock Ga. I talked to them and then had the guy at Discount Tire in Amarillo Texas call them. We finally got the part number for the tire and they entered it into their computer in Amarillo. My Dunlop 175/60/16 Run Flat is on the way. Total cost with tax and shipping, $194.85 Thanks "Everone" for helping me get it figured out.
If you still have the part #, could you post it for the rest of us?

thanks...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't have the number so I called the store. He told me that any Discount Tire store, (or maybe any Goodyear/Dunlop store) can get the number by calling Goodyear. On my invoice it says 175/60HR16 82H Dunlop SP Winter Sport RF And in the process I found out that Goodyear makes Dunlop tires.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got my wheel from e-bay, a lot nicer than mine, got my 175/60/16 Dunlop from Discount Tire. They would not put it on the wheel, said it was against company policy. Might have been local policy as they have been real turds from the start. Took it to a small flat shop and he put it on for $3.00 but had no way to balance it. Took it to the Honda shop, he looked at it a bit and said I could pick it up in about two hours as most of the guys were gone to lunch. What a project, but, I'm almost there.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
My Discount Tire does mount them for 15 bucks. Glad you got it all straightened away.

Let us know what you think of it after you've logged a couple hundred miles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update

I got the tire on and tested. I can't feel any difference between it and the stock MC tire except in a strong cross wind, and that may be imagined.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts