GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 wing
what do you feel is the best to get i-pod or i read about bikemp3
i believe i have a aux jack in my left compartment for a hook up.
this bike is new to me but i am taking a trip soon and trying to get
hooked up with music.
can i just hook it up to the jack then use the aux button to play

another question do any of you use a cup holder for you.
if so what kind can you turn me on to that you like.
i tried to search but did not find much.

thanks

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
An i-pod will plug directly to the aux plug in the left dash pocket, then push the aux button for sound. Just make sure the volume of your i-pod is turned all the way up. The BikeMP3 plugs into the cd harness, and mounts in the CB area of the trunk. With BikeMP3, you can use your handlebar controls to select music using the up and down feature for the cd player.

I have a butler cup for hydration purposes. In my opinion it's the best one out there. They're not cheap, but worth every penny for me. You can find them at http://www.glassact.com/

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
HANDS down Bikemp3 and I have 4 ipods. Butler cups also for driver. Whatever the SO wants. She currently is using a stainless cup holder and a stainless cup.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bikemp3 player

is this a easy hook-up in the trunk?
it sounds like it is ready to hook up already!
where is a good place to buy one?
thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
The Bike MP3 player is quite easy to install... the biggest issue is drilling a hole for the wiring and even that isn't really necessary depending on how you run the supplied cable. If you can take off the seat and plug the cable harness into an easy to locate plug, you're in business. The unit works well and the sound quality is quite good.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have an 01 so no Nav, so I just load my music up on my garmin that way when I am using it for directions it overrides the music and all is good.

·
Registered
19,382 Posts
Given the choices you offered--Bike MP3

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I would go for the Bike MP3 over just sticking it in the glove compartment. You are very limited on changing tracks/songs in the glove box (pain in arse and very unsafe while moving), where as with bikemp3, you can at least use the handlebar controls to change out tracks/songs to your mood at the time.

On cup, I use the butler cup..:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
If using your Ipod, with either the MP3 or Aux connection, I highly recommend the Ijet remote control for the Ipod. Can be found on Amazon or Wingstuff (DLP does not carry) for around $35. Will allow track changes and volume control only but sure beats "hunting" in the pocket to change a track.
Attach anywhere and limited controls are at your fingers.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Don't the 2010 come with an XM receiver? Most of the time I ride I listen to XM through my Garmin. If I'm in a bad area like the bottom of a canyon with trees I listen to the MP3 through the garmin

·
Banned
939 Posts
You can "sort of, kind of" find a good way to hook up the iPod and control it.

The options listed above all work and there are others.

However, get ready to be disappointed with the actual ability to make
your iPod do what it does now when it is in the palm of your hand.

No one has cracked this. Lots of better than nothing, but no true solutions in my opinion.

The '12 is it for integration sounds like.

I think it is on Honda and Apple both to have not come to proprietary terms with this in the past and is something that is just irksome to me.

Anyway, do the research on integration out there, and ponder if you are not just better creating monster playlists and just plugging in to the auxilary jack and rolling.

Hey Honda and Apple you build some very nice stuff but FU for not getting it together on this before the '12. And ps you corporate monsters let go of the nickel and dime proprietory BS on this, serve your customers, and if you can not let the small afterrmarket guys have at it and fix this problem for us once and for all.

Rant over...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey, acid--
The bikemp3 needs to plug in under the seat (seat has to come off). It's then mounted in the trunk. Gives the capability of using the Wing's audio controls to change songs, etc. It's gotten good reviews on this board.

Any mp3 player can be used in the left pocket. If you use the accessory plug you'll need a device which plugs into it and provides a usb port--at least that will allow you to use the ipod or mp3 player without draining its battery. There's an audio plug in the left pocket box for running the sound. As others have said you can't control it like you can the bikemp3, but it works. I use my mp3 players at times--but I also have a cd player.
OB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts