GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a BikeMP3 player for my 2008 GL1800 with built-in NAV. Thought about the Soundgate but read too much negative feedback.
I did not order the software with it. There is enough free software available to handle MP3 files.

Now I must decide how I am going to get my 2000 songs loaded on SD cards or a jump drive and arrange them. CD1, CD2, etc.

For those of you who have a lot of songs can you give me some suggestions on how to organize my files. I don't want to hear all songs sung by artist A then listen to all songs sung by artist B. I like the random playing of songs. What is the largest SD card or jump drive I can use with this device? Is it true I will need 4 SD cards to store all 2000 songs??:shrug:

·
Registered
905 Posts
The software truly seems the best way to go---the player actually cares what order you upload the songs to the card, not alpha order...because of this, the software makes the process less tedious.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I had the same feelings as you about listening to the artists sequentially. I first sorted the songs by alphabetical order in my music folder, then I split up the songs into CD1, CD2, etc. before placing copying them onto my card. It works fine for me.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Unfortunately, no MP3 player short of an IPOD will play music randomly. You will have to load each CDs music MP3's manually in whatever order you want it to play. That will be very time intensive. The software you didn't buy will select songs from your whole music file and load 99 randomly selected songs on the 6 CD's it creates for you. All this fit's on a single 4BG SD Card or thumdrive. The software was the only reason I went with the same player you have since I too want each song that comes up to be a surprise. The "other" website which will remain nameless sells the software also.
Good Luck

·
Registered
905 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with saying wingstuff...I don't think dlp sells the software anyway. Further, do you know there's a random feature on the wings audio system? I think you hit the number six on the radio controls while the cd changer is playing...this works with the soundgate, and I'm pretty sure it works with the bikemp3 too...but it will only randomize each "cd", so you need to properly disperse the tracks in each folder somehow (the software)

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Sorry no random or shuffle on the V3 don't press the ASEL to try it either

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you use a SD card larger than 4GB???

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Officially up to 8GB but some customers are using 16GB but we do not offer support if you do not that it will not hurt anything and will either work or not.

However if you work on 4 minute songs sampled at 128K then 6 folders or 9 folders (nav/non nav) with 99 songs in each that is 594/891 so on average say 4Mb each that is 2.4GB/3.6GB approx

Now some users are really using bigger files for the highest possible quality I am not sure thats really required on a bike but its all good.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My bike has the built in Nav and I ordered the associated player.

So what you are saying is I can only have 6 folders?

And that the limit is 99 songs per folder?

If I have an SD card that is 16GB, then:
1) Can I create more than 6 folders?
2) Can I add more than 99 songs per folder?

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
My bike has the built in Nav and I ordered the associated player.

So what you are saying is I can only have 6 folders?

And that the limit is 99 songs per folder?

If I have an SD card that is 16GB, then:
1) Can I create more than 6 folders?
2) Can I add more than 99 songs per folder?
Yes and no

Your bike may actually support up to 16 folders depends on the radio software,

HOWEVER if you go above 6 folders on a NAV bike you will get the NO DISC flashing on your display, I believe that when Honda/Panasonic added the navigation they needed some memory so they took out CD7-CD9 and the wrap around routine (Once you get to CD9 on a non navigation it goes to CD1 again if you go above CD6 on a navigation it never reverts to CD1 going up only down) if you can put up with NO DISC then it will work just fine just have to go to the navigation page without music information at the bottom and you don't see it.

File list is universal all bike displays only go to 99 tracks but I have customers who have more but again you could trigger the NO DISC you would need to try on your bike

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Pete, it seems that on my '06 PA (non-nav), with a 4 GB SD, I can have at least 16 folders. After showing CD9, it wraps back to 1 and on up - but back to 1 on the root. This is with the version that shipped prior to the present (V1?). I have the present shipping version, but have been so happy with the original that I've not bothered to remove the seat to swap the cables out. I have had to reset a couple times - just put the bike in neutral and coasted while I turned the switch off and on then restarted - not in traffic, mind you! Someday (maybe today while it rains) I will install the new one (V2?) so that it will stop when I switch over to the FM for a traffic report.

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
I just ordered a BikeMP3 player for my 2008 GL1800 with built-in NAV. Thought about the Soundgate but read too much negative feedback.

good move... I pulled my soundgate out and went back to mp3
While I like the shuffle off my ipod the sound quality was not as good
I arraigned my songs by size and it mixes it up a bit
Would not mind finding randomize software

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sorry no random or shuffle on the V3 don't press the ASEL to try it either
What will happen if you press the ASEL?
Can damage occur by pressing the non-functional CD features with the V3?

·
Registered
825 Posts
What software are you guys talking about. I can play 99 songs but can't make it go to folder 2 to play more music, just goes back to #1.

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
What software are you guys talking about. I can play 99 songs but can't make it go to folder 2 to play more music, just goes back to #1.
Hold the track rocker switch up instead of just bumping it; that tells the bike to change CDs, which will change directories for the player

·
Registered
7,387 Posts
ASEL will cause a lockup

What will happen if you press the ASEL?
Can damage occur by pressing the non-functional CD features with the V3?
The unit does what it advertises, there is a problem with it locking up IF you hit the autotune button on your dash while listening to the player. In that case you have to pull the fuse for the radio (not just unplug the mp3 player). The lockup is caused by the radio system looking for a response from the cd player, but since there isn't actually a cd player and the mp3 player software doesn't send the proper response, the radio hangs up. Don't press the auto button, don't have the problem. I locked up first time because I thought - gee, what will happen if I do this? In my case, I ended up with an mp3 player that played music even with the key removed. Very strange indeed.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts

Do you have songs in the root if so thats your problem

1 - 20 of 37 Posts