GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post isn't intended to discuss or argue whether you should or should not listen to music while riding, but to ask what you listen to while riding for those that do? My music tastes vary to where I am riding. If I am on a straight highway, it's more upbeat, driving type of rock or country. If I am on rural straights, then something milder. If I am in twisties, then it'e something more energetic to get the blood flowing. I have found the following to be good candidates for the play list:
Plain White Ts - Their music is made for riding
Muse, fall out boy, especially in the twisties
Anything from Dean Martin to Beatles to queen to Dawes on the highway
I try to have a good mix and skip past the ones that don't work for me at any particular time
I have a Packtalk bold/JBL headset, which helps enjoy the music a little better.

Please no admonishments for listening while riding. I find that listening to music at a reasonable volume helps with concentration

So, any ideas about good music to ride by?

·
SuperModerator
3,518 Posts
I put my player (songs are loaded onto an SD card in my Zumo 595) on "random", and I never know what will come out next. It could be anything from gospel music to ZZ Top, or Disco to Solid Gold Country. If I don't feel like music then I just have a long conversation with some of the other voices in my head.

Glen

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Like Glen I also have all my music play randomly while riding. On occasion I want to play a particular album but I play randomly most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Yup.....same here. Put my 8000+ songs on random and let them fly.
With Siri, I can ask for a specific song or group at anytime I'm in the mood, but mostly play random.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Varied music for me also, mostly 50's 60's & 70's. BT my phones music library through a adapter to the aux input. Listen and ride.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have a wide variety, new and older, on my mp3 player set to shuffle at all times, but I find that songs like this help me with flowing through the twisties. .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heL2by7zwW0

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have a friend with an amazing music library so he loads up big SD cards with random tunes to plug into my 660. The only rules are no xmas music and no rap crap. I leave it on random on the bike and in my truck

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
Maybe you should look thru this for some ideas. Suspect a majority of what people are going to post in this thread have already been posted before...

Some quick math, as a point of reference only:

Twelve songs per hour times 24 hours times 30 days...a bit over 8000 songs. Most extremely eclectic radio stations have a regular playlist of a LOT less than 8000 songs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This post isn't intended to discuss or argue whether you should or should not listen to music while riding, but to ask what you listen to while riding for those that do? My music tastes vary to where I am riding. If I am on a straight highway, it's more upbeat, driving type of rock or country. If I am on rural straights, then something milder. If I am in twisties, then it'e something more energetic to get the blood flowing. I have found the following to be good candidates for the play list:
I try to have a good mix and skip past the ones that don't work for me at any particular time
I have a Packtalk bold/JBL headset, which helps enjoy the music a little better.

Please no admonishments for listening while riding. I find that listening to music at a reasonable volume helps with concentration

I have Sirius Xm and an MP3 player along with the standard radio on my bike. I love the Blues #1, then classic rock. I will listen to Giants baseball if it is on the radio. I enjoy some jazz and classical too.
I do not turn the volume up so loud that I cannot hear around myself, but listening to music is a must for me.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Rarely if ever listen to music, but if I do, I have thousands of songs on the phone and in Google Play Music / YouTube Music / Amazon Prime Music, usually on shuffle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
+1 for music! Hair Metal kid here, 89-90's hair metal, rap, hip hop, country ( the newer rock style. lol not really country) Or the Christian radio station and listen to a sermon. Between the radio, USB port, headset and phone, somethings playing while I ride!

·
Registered
509 Posts
I guess I must be considered old school. OH WELL. I can almost always find 70's rock, real country, gospel or praise music thru the FM audio. My bride of 50+ years made me give up my flip phone for a smarter than I am phone about 6 months ago. Did I say I was old school?

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
My list is mostly 80s rock. I don't put ALL of my music on my SD cards (I have a MP3 Player in the trunk hooked up to the CD interface and a card in my Zumo 590). So I don't have thousands of songs - that way I don't have to hit the skip all the time. I like more upbeat stuff while I ride so I've gone through my entire collection, meticulously picking songs I think will be good on the road. Every spring I add a few songs and remove a few songs. I have a few hundred on my list. I might hear the same song a couple of times but that's ok - they are all on the card because I like them and want to hear them. I have a few country songs, a couple disco songs and even a few polkas! Lots of Christian rock too (Newsboys, Third Day...). There are a few slower songs but they have to be good - I don't want to fall asleep while riding. :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Being 61, my music is somewhat conservative...NOT!

Linkin park, Disturbed, System of Down, Ozzy, Judas Priest and Korn.

Yes, I am a life long rocker. That being said, my music sometimes vary, depending on my mood.

Some times I long for home, Hawaii. Living in N.C, it's tough missing home so, occasionally I play Hawaiian music...NO, NOT tiny bubbles😡 that's NOT Hawaiian and NEVER had been Hawaiian music.

But, I do listen to pop, reggae and jazz and R&B as well. Yes, my music are diverse. Comes from living in Hawaii where we live in diverse culture.

VERY rarely I listen to country music. When I do, it's Willie and Alabama.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Twelve songs per hour times 24 hours times 30 days...a bit over 8000 songs. Most extremely eclectic radio stations have a regular playlist of a LOT less than 8000 songs.
I think that it's pretty safe to say that if I listed every single song I like, it wouldn't come near that many songs. And then weeding them down to a playlist for the bike... 😵

Every so often Sirius/XM has a free period to sample satellite radio and I hear the same stuff repeated several times. By the time the free period is over, I'm sick of it already. It's more repetitive than my limited play lists.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Like others, my interest is all over the charts from country to old rock, new rock, top 40, etc.
My phone has a few thousand songs I play with shuffle turned on. But I also have Pandora and Google music (which is transitioning to YouTube Music) which lets me set "Stations" based on a group or artist that I like. The play list is then automatically built around that group or artist. So I downloaded the Android Auto App to my phone, hit the tunes part of the App and away we go. Get tired of a type of music, hit the App and switch "Stations" and roll on. Right now my favorite station is based on Luke Combs, When It Rains It Pours. That song makes me smile and the miles just seem to fly by.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts

The Highway channel on XM. I leave it there most of the time. Sometimes i tune to local channels if i am staying there for a few days. I can hear my outside speakers fine at 70 miles an hour ith a shoie helmet on. I have the option for the inside speakers if its a windy day. I do like ZZ TOP and classic rock and also classic country.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts