GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

Registered
I also really enjoy music while riding. I am also finding that I enjoy it more playing through the speakers than through the headsets. If I get into a populated area, I turn it way down or switch to the headsets. I do get tired of trying to keep good stations and they seem to fade out or get static. That's a pain. I have tried Pandora from my phone and plug it into the aux cable but that also sometimes shuts off. I am thinking about a small MP3 player and plug it in to the Aux cable. My problem is knowing how and where to find music to download because I would like a nice assortment.

Registered
I listen to Pandora almost exclusively , normally tuned to Mark Knopfler station, that gets me a nice blend of 80's rock, some country and some blues. I have also recently started listening to Pandora's Tony Joe White station, that gets n\me a fair amount of Stevie Ray Vaughn and others like him. I also have a playlist loaded on my iPhone so if Pandora winks out on me I can usually get the phone switched over to the playlist.

Registered
I also really enjoy music while riding. I am also finding that I enjoy it more playing through the speakers than through the headsets. If I get into a populated area, I turn it way down or switch to the headsets. I do get tired of trying to keep good stations and they seem to fade out or get static. That's a pain. I have tried Pandora from my phone and plug it into the aux cable but that also sometimes shuts off. I am thinking about a small MP3 player and plug it in to the Aux cable. My problem is knowing how and where to find music to download because I would like a nice assortment.
I'm assuming you have 2001-2010 GoldWing. I'd recommend looking in to something like this - then you can use the CD controls on the left cluster to skip songs or backup: J&M Digital Music Player K-Version for USB/Aux/Bluetooth庐 on 2001-2010 GL-1800 CD Input

Do you have a CD collection? You can "rip" those CDs on to your PCs with music software and them copy them to your player. I've done that. For music I don't have, I usually buy and download MP3s from Amazon.

Registered
I'm assuming you have 2001-2010 GoldWing. I'd recommend looking in to something like this - then you can use the CD controls on the left cluster to skip songs or backup: J&M Digital Music Player K-Version for USB/Aux/Bluetooth庐 on 2001-2010 GL-1800 CD Input

Do you have a CD collection? You can "rip" those CDs on to your PCs with music software and them copy them to your player. I've done that. For music I don't have, I usually buy and download MP3s from Amazon.
Thanks William, yes, I have a 2006.

Registered
I too like a lot of different types of music and almost always have it playing while riding. Just remember this: NEVER EVER listen to Freebird while riding the Dragon!!! Bad things can happen...
I get it! Starts slow, roughly the same length of song as road length, then it speeds up and the next thing you know your speeding, dragging parts and all kinds of unsafe stuff. Thanks for the safety warning. (y)

Reactions: Motor Guy

Registered
FWIW, I'm 57 years old, wife is 54. We like music ranging form the 50s to the 90s (nothing inspiring about 21st century music to me, a great of which is just redone music done worse the second time around).

Yes we like the surprise of what the next song will be. I still remember having casette tapes where of course you know what is next...boring!

I thought I had more but I just looked at my music files and realized we only have just over 3,000 (guess I should have "borrowed" more from Napster back in the day). We use a very simple MP3 connected to the 3.5 accessory cord in the pocket. Can't skip songs but of course if we didn't like a give song we would not have it on the MP3 player anyway.

Also I said MP3 but a great deal of our stuff is actually .wma (better format from a sound prerspective, although with larger file sizes).

Registered
I have close to 9000 songs. Set to random as I ride. I never ride the goldwing without music. I mostly like 70s music, but have stuff from 1950 up.

Registered
XM for me. I select the type of music I鈥檓 in the mood for. Classic rock, classic rewind, blend, jazz, blues and country.

I like the convenience commercial free platform. I listen to music everyday and use XM or DirectTV in my house and shop as well.

I鈥榲e never listened to the AM/FM radio on my bikes. Don鈥檛 even know if it works.

Premium Member
Sirius/XM set to Hair Nation. For those of you who have seen me, you'll see this as a bit of an oxymoron. ;)

Reactions: tamathumper

Registered
I usually listen to the radio, but if I can't find anything that I like, I switch over to my phone storage.
You guys got me wondering, so I checked and have over 50 gig of music and over 6500 songs.
If I need a change, I've got 650 gig and just over 100,000 songs on my computer that I can swap out with.

Registered
Tell us more.......
Long time ago they offered lifetime on your xm. i bought 2 one for my truck and one for my bike. I believe you were able to transfer them up to 3 times free and started charging after that to swap out. Now i hear there is some litigation going on, hope it doesn't involve me.

Registered
I usually listen to the radio, but if I can't find anything that I like, I switch over to my phone storage.
You guys got me wondering, so I checked and have over 50 gig of music and over 6500 songs.
If I need a change, I've got 650 gig and just over 100,000 songs on my computer that I can swap out with.
Wow, what did you use to get all the music?

Registered
mine is free
My 2005 yellow bike came with a Garmin GPS that had a "lifetime" subscription to XM but, when I went to update, it cancelled itself until I verified subscription.

Being that it came with the bike, I had no subscription information for it.

When contacted, XM told me that so called "lifetime" subscription only apply to original OWNER of the bike, NOT the bike or the GPS that the subscription was applied to?

Bunch of B.S I told them. They insisted that's what the subscription policy is and refused to honor that subscription I had and working UNTIL I tried to update...otherwise, they never would've known and I'd kept the XM subscription for a "lifetime" of that GPS.

I have XM on my 2016 Tundra and on my 2007 GPS unit but, I REFUSE to listen to then bozos.

They lost MY business for a LIFETIME.

Registered
I'm a 60's and 70's type of guy, I have my flash drive loaded with music from that era.

Registered
I am a formally trained Royal Conservatory concert pianist, converted and toured with rock bands in the 70s 80s. After years and years of plying music I know dislike it and heve no albums, never listen to music in my cars. Have a fatastic stereo system at home that has not been turned on in 20 years and no music on the bikes for 40 years. But I paid speakers etc on my new bike so tried that and other than in the garage the sound is terrible. Bought a Cardo and the sound is better so I found about 100 tunes I liked of all venues and on longer trips play them.

My choice is based on my riding speed. If I am just dawdling along with lots of time I will listen to Classic. But if I find I am running late or have a need for speed on goes Ram Jam's Black Betty, followed by ELOs Long Black Road, and as I get closer to home: Thin Lizzy: Boys are Back in Town.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts