GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
I rarely ever turn the radio or DVD player on. I just enjoy the silents except for the engine and the wind. Enough noise for me on TV ect. I do wear ear plugs also to protect hearing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow, what did you use to get all the music?
I've been collecting here and there for over a decade. Ripped from CD's bought or borrowed mostly. A few through iTunes, Amazon and other similar.
Admittedly, some acquired through Napster way back when, until my conscience got in the way.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
I rarely ever turn the radio or DVD player on. I just enjoy the silents except for the engine and the wind. Enough noise for me on TV ect. I do wear ear plugs also to protect hearing.
You have a DVD player on your bike?! Well it's good you don't turn it on - it would be very dangerous watching movies while riding. 😉😆😜

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have an eclectic mix. On very long rides I like to listen to audio books. For music it’s either Sirius XM 60s on 6 or a music mix on my iPod.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I enjoy listening to music while riding. Almost always random since it's easy to skip if a song doesn't quite fit the mood. Every once in a while a song will match the riding experience so perfectly. One time, "Crossing Mars" (from the movie "The Martian") came on while I was riding up through a beautiful two lane in Mt. Rainier National Park. There was nobody in front of me, nobody behind me, it wasn't hot, it wasn't cold; I was riding a relaxed pace with the Goldwing smoothly and effortlessly leaning into the corners...it was perfect.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just turn on the "Real Oldies" station on I Heart Radio. I always use the WAZE app to advise me of cops and traffic, and it links nicely to the I Heart Radio app too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Eclectic music, mostly favoring music without lyrics. Depends on the road, and how technical the ride.
I also listen to podcasts, which I believe is not recommended due to the need for some concentration on what's being spoken. There's some validity there, as some particularly interesting episodes can be distracting.
I have XM in the car (not on the GW), and would dump it like a hot rock if not for my wife. They have VERY short playlists, and I get irritated hearing songs I've heard a million times before.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a music directory and one of them is titled GL1800. There I listen to all of my favorite songs but mostly Sounds Of the 70's (Three Dog Night, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Etc).

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wonder how many listen with the speakers rather than a headset in the helmet? I know the speakers work on my bike but I've never used them on a ride.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a friend with an amazing music library so he loads up big SD cards with random tunes to plug into my 660. The only rules are no xmas music and no rap crap. I leave it on random on the bike and in my truck
My choice, is as I refer to it is , no k-rapp. And no goat roping 😂😂

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I am gonna go rouge on this one:

I don't listen to music when I tour; I like to experience the solitude of cross country riding. I practice the kind of introspection that leads to prayer, contemplation, observing life, myself and random free thoughts.
I find music sort of interrupts that (cause I tried listening to Jazz, which is the kind of music I really like).

So for me, no music needed. Every once in a while the Garmin lady tells me how to get to where I am going; and the lady on Waze lets me know if there are 'Blue-Meanies' ahead (you would have to be old enough to have watched The Yellow Submarine to get that one).

Reactions: rchrugg

·
Registered
3 Posts
This post isn't intended to discuss or argue whether you should or should not listen to music while riding, but to ask what you listen to while riding for those that do? My music tastes vary to where I am riding. If I am on a straight highway, it's more upbeat, driving type of rock or country. If I am on rural straights, then something milder. If I am in twisties, then it'e something more energetic to get the blood flowing. I have found the following to be good candidates for the play list:
Plain White Ts - Their music is made for riding
Muse, fall out boy, especially in the twisties
Anything from Dean Martin to Beatles to queen to Dawes on the highway
I try to have a good mix and skip past the ones that don't work for me at any particular time
I have a Packtalk bold/JBL headset, which helps enjoy the music a little better.

Please no admonishments for listening while riding. I find that listening to music at a reasonable volume helps with concentration

So, any ideas about good music to ride by?
I use a IPod Classic that has 18000 songs on it. I have every kind of music you can think of except Rap Crap!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I listen to Sirius radio and the old time shows. I don’t listen to much music. I do use the speakers even with the modular helmet. My wife doesn’t like to listen to anything while we’re writing except the intercom when we have something to say to each other. I have a hands-free and I listen to the same shows over the small speakers in the helmet. There are times when that tinny sound gets to me and I either turn the system off or switch on the external speakers. I have a 2008 premium audio Goldwing and it sounds pretty good when you adjust the front and the rear speakers that you can always hear the radio when you turn your head all look forward. I enjoy the sound system on the Goldwing. I leave the volume setting to whatever it is when I have the modular helmet on and a face shield down no matter where I’m at. I’ve never had any complaints from anybody but then again everyone else is in a cage!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Old rock n roll.! Anything with a solid guitar driving the train. Im over 50 so my taste my not be worth following. I particularly like ACDC and the Stoned current. Sympathy for the Devil is a lovely tune!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I always use the 2008 GL's bike speakers, and prefer local radio channels. I like listening to DJs gossip, occasional music, weather reports, etc.. The radio just seems more engaging to me. I am not much on non stop music of any kind, and prefer bike speakers over helmet speakers. I most always use the 'MUTE' button when I pull up to a stop light, or other times when appropriate. I get it, others don't care to hear my blaring radio. And I don't care to hear their's either.

Reactions: William Anzik
41 - 60 of 61 Posts