GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I headed to SW Virginia for three days in late September. Looking for the "Must see or do things" Drop a line back with your favorite roads, restaurants, stops, or places to visit. Good motels restaurants or just whatever.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

·
Registered
154 Posts
SW Virginia

Try U.S. 58 from Hillsville to Meadows of Dan. At Meadows of Dan jump on the Blue Ridge Parkway North. Stop at Morrisette Winery for lunch and to visit the winery. Good wine by the way. Continue on the BRP to Roanoke. Take 220 into Roanoke. Can't remember the connector may be 419 to 221 south. All interesting rides if you are in the area. The food at Morrisette Winery is excellent but a little pricey.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Burkes Garden, (picturesque valley) rte. 623 (one road in/out), off rte. 61, S/W of I 77, S/E of Bluefield (near W. VA border).

Breaks Interstate Park, rte. 80 at KY/VA border (scenic, deep, river gorge) N/W of Marion, VA @ I 81.

Any of the Skyline Dr/Blue Ridge Pkwy, even as far down as Asheville, NC and back (Mt. Mitchel, drive to summit - highest E. mtn. point).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recommend Breaks Interstate Park and roads anywhere in that area (VA-80), va-16, and others. The park is right near the corner of VA, KY, and WV. If you stay at the park, ask for a room in the old lodge. Backs up to a gorge - excellent views. the roads around there are excellent, but you have to be careful for heavy equipment moving in and around the mines.

Uncle Spags

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Re: SW Virginia

Captain Dan said:
Try U.S. 58 from Hillsville to Meadows of Dan. At Meadows of Dan jump on the Blue Ridge Parkway North. Stop at Morrisette Winery for lunch and to visit the winery. Good wine by the way. Continue on the BRP to Roanoke. Take 220 into Roanoke. Can't remember the connector may be 419 to 221 south. All interesting rides if you are in the area. The food at Morrisette Winery is excellent but a little pricey.
Please don't drink and ride. The correct BAC for motorcycling is zero!

Now if you can adjust your schedule to visit the winery for dinner, after the bike is parked for the day, enjoy...

G

·
Our favorite place is Floyd, VA. Here is a Google map: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=floyd,%2B ... 6001&hl=en

Tuggles Gap Restaurant and Motel (where VA Rt 8 crosses the Parkway) is a really nice (VERY unpretentious!) motorcycle friendly restaurant and humble but clean motel. REAL good food.

Floyd is a joy to visit. They have free bluegrass music at the country store most every Friday night. Here is Floyds website: http://www.floydvirginia.com/

·
Registered
179 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts