GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of the board members here have logged tens of thousands of miles across this beautiful country. I was just catching up on the posts and read about the Cherahala Skyway. My question to you riders is, if you were to recommend a place to see or a road to ride from all your vast touring, what would your must see location be. I have only gotten into serious riding this past season and have a list that will probably take me at least 10 years to see if not more. I know for some of you it will be hard to have only one or two, but think about it and let me know what is on top of your list. Thanks everyone. Gene

·
Registered
55 Posts
US 1 in California. All the way to the Northern border...

Steve and the RED DVLL :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Utah

Ahhhh, so many. I don't think I could live with just one.

--Million Dollar Highway between Ouray and Durango, CO

--Trail Ridge Road across Rocky Mountain National Park, CO

--Southern UT, including UT-24 from Hanksville via Capitol Reef NP to Torrey, then UT-12 from Torrey to Escalante-GrandStaircase and Bryce Canyon. Then on over to Zion National Park, then back to North Rim of the Grand Canyon, over to Page, then through Kaenta and Monument Valley to Mexican Hat, then up to Natural Bridges Nat Mon and Hite to Hanksville. Just one fantastic loop, especially in the Fall when the days are not so hot and you have clear blue skies. Just awesome. And, if you have time, throw in a ride up to Moab, with Arches NP, Canyonlands NP, and Dead Horse Point State Park.

--Going-to-the Sun Road in Glacier National Park

--Someone said Pikes Peak. I look out my window every day (like right now) and look right at the Peak as I am only about 10 miles from the top as the crow (or Eagle) flies. I have been there many times, but have never ridden my bike up. I have ridden to the top of Mt. Evans (west of Denver), which is actually higher than Pikes Peak and is paved all the way to the top. About 14,250 feet. Pretty magnificent.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
must see

Gene, It seems that most responses so far have covered the western part of this country.

Being from the East, I would suggest the Blue Ridge Parkway from Cherokee, NC to Waynesboro, VA and then the Skyline Drive to Front Royal, VA. They have much higher and newer mountains out west but the mountains in the east feature trees with leaves and grass.

Naturally there are a number of exciting roads/trips off to either side of the Parkway but I will save them for another post.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Favorite destinations

See my previous post on Favorite destinations.
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... ght=#22136
My most current trip was the "Dragon, Cheralaha Skyway and Blue Ridge Parkway and West Virginia on the way home last July. Had an absolutly great trip. 16 days on the road with maybe a total accumulation of 2 days rain, about 4500 miles, a lot of relatively newer pavement, very little road construction and not a lot of traffic congestion. Almost a perfect trip. The picture below was one of our stops on the way home. Hawks Nest State Park is in about the center of WV. It overlooks the New River Gorge.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Cheesehead

From one Cheeesehead to another, the previous posts are all great and I've ridden most of them so no arguments from me. If you you like alot of twistys then TN, NC, VW, is the place you ought be. If the more majestic scenery is your deal, then the Rockies and the west is a can't miss. If you're just looking for weekend scoots stay right here in the land of cheese. The western half of Wisconsin is wonderful, from the Kickapoo Valley to the Great River Road along the Mississippi River and north to Wisconsin lake country.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
As part of a trip, out the north side of Yellowstone Park and over Bear Tooth Pass. I think its about 11000 feet and some unbelievable views. Many Beautiful ways to get there

·
Registered
136 Posts
Haines Alaska,
Haines to the border, it's only about 41 miles. The scenery is just incredible. Anytime of year save when the snow’s blowing!
Fireweed, glaciers…. It’s got it all.

·
Registered
626 Posts
For the pure joy of riding it's got to be the Blue Ridge Parkway, 450 miles of the best motorcycle riding in the country. Yes there are many places that have more spectacular scenery and are worth doing. But the BRP has some very nice mountain veiws and many many miles of GREAT roads for THE PURE JOY of RIDING :D

·
Registered
368 Posts
Fox in GA said:
For the pure joy of riding it's got to be the Blue Ridge Parkway, 450 miles of the best motorcycle riding in the country. Yes there are many places that have more spectacular scenery and are worth doing. But the BRP has some very nice mountain veiws and many many miles of GREAT roads for THE PURE JOY of RIDING :D
Also lots of nice side roads.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Northern Calif - Southern Oregon

Everyone has his own bag. Here is a web site that is SUPERB
if you are in the central west coast of the US.

http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm

I have been over nearly all of these, and I would only be able
to narrow the search down to the best half. And that only for
this area, leaving WA, ID, MT, CO, BC, AL, UT....aw, whats the
use? Too many roads, not enough time......

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Colorado!

or maybe Utah

it's so hard to chose
:roll:

·
Registered
446 Posts
MUST SEE!

There are too many to ride in one season, . . . . .out here in the great western states. :D Sorry you east coasters, but you just don't have the "elevation" changes, the cool clean crisp "mountain" air, the cold clear water rushing down the round river rocks and boulders, and the un-compromising scenery of the high mountain peaks snow covered and wide open colorful valleys. All of these benefits without TRAFFIC!!! That means you can go FAST! :D

Then of course there is the Pacific Coast Hightway from California to the exit of Washington state. What magnificent sights and curves.

Don't forget the beautiful sights and highways in Alberta, Canada around Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper.

And the other favorites that have been mentioned: Yellowstone, Glacier, Monument Valley, Zion Canyon and the Canyon Lands, Colorado (you could easily spend 3 weeks touring all the high mountain passes there alone), BearTooths Pass, and don't forget the 77 miles of twisties along the Locsa River in the interior of Idaho from Lolo, Montana to Lewiston, Id., Highway 20 from Idaho border going west to Sedro Wooley, . . .you cross 3 beautiful mountain passes on this 350 mile trip, and the Sedona highway, from Prescott to Flagstaff, Arizona via the ghost town of Jerome.

WOW! We really have the great rides out here in the West. I had better get started, . . . . . . AGAIN!!! :clap2: :clap2: :1st: :clap2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts