GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For any of you who are fans of Mustang seats....but held back because they did not have OEM controlling the adjustment for heat....now they obviously figured it out and it controls heat via Honda OEM controls! I just placed my order about a two week turn around. The drivers/passenger seat now comes with the backrest as standard, not as an accessory. I have tech department checking if you have to purchase the Mustang passenger backrest because the information they provide is that you have to have both the driver and passenger backrest wired for the system to work. They didn't specify if the Honda OEM passenger backrest would work. I prefer the OEM backrest after not liking the look of the Mustang passenger backrest. I should get an answer tomorrow. Nice not seeing the toggle switch on the side of the driver seat. I have no affiliation with Mustang seats, I just love their product as I had one on my 2012 GL1832, interestingly I was able to get my Utopia backrest to fit that Mustang seat. Hopefully, I can do it with this one as well. Ride Safe and my miles and smiles should be reflected on my new Mustang seat because the OEM could not even with the Wingsoft makeover it did not do anything for my posterior blues.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Larger gals will have difficulty boarding with Mustang's passenger backrest. Looks comfortable once seated but that is pretty narrow between passenger armrests and driver backrest. Perhaps rider and backrest both can slide/tilt forward enough. Anyone notice side panel paint damage from passenger pants? Both of my side panels have wear marks in strange place - I don't believe they are from boots on both sides.

·
Registered
177 Posts
For any of you who are fans of Mustang seats....but held back because they did not have OEM controlling the adjustment for heat....now they obviously figured it out and it controls heat via Honda OEM controls! I just placed my order about a two week turn around. The drivers/passenger seat now comes with the backrest as standard, not as an accessory. I have tech department checking if you have to purchase the Mustang passenger backrest because the information they provide is that you have to have both the driver and passenger backrest wired for the system to work. They didn't specify if the Honda OEM passenger backrest would work. I prefer the OEM backrest after not liking the look of the Mustang passenger backrest. I should get an answer tomorrow. Nice not seeing the toggle switch on the side of the driver seat. I have no affiliation with Mustang seats, I just love their product as I had one on my 2012 GL1832, interestingly I was able to get my Utopia backrest to fit that Mustang seat. Hopefully, I can do it with this one as well. Ride Safe and my miles and smiles should be reflected on my new Mustang seat because the OEM could not even with the Wingsoft makeover it did not do anything for my posterior blues.
I ordered mine yesterday. I talked to Neal at Mustang and he stated that they believe that the new seat will work with the OEM passenger backrest. He also stated that if I get the seat and it does not work they will allow me to return the seat with no shipping charge and a full refund. I also spoke to him about the seat pan as the large protrusion on the left side of the drivers seating area on the OEM seat sticks down between the frame rails right where I want to mount my accessory fuse block. Neal stated that the Mustang seat pan does not have the part sticking out. I really like the looks of the seat and believe it will compliment the bike very well. I have been using the mustang seats on my Harleys for 20 years and really like them.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yupp, agree....

Hopefully you won't have to add that also. More than 60-70% of folks I see on 'Wings are riding single anyway. My luggage on the back seat doesn't require heat!:wink2:
Well, looks like the Mustang tech staff not sure if the OEM passenger seat will work with the Mustang driver/passenger heated seat. They said the previous generation GW would not operate together. The problem is to get heat to both seat and backrest they have to work in common (which Mustang combo will do). They obviously have never tested to see if the OEM passenger backrest will be compatible with their Mustang Driver/passenger heated seat.

Being the 18-19 have can-bus I don't know if I want to take the chance of setting a fault and or other headaches by being a guinea pig to see if it works.

Any thoughts on my concern-anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting....

I ordered mine yesterday. I talked to Neal at Mustang and he stated that they believe that the new seat will work with the OEM passenger backrest. He also stated that if I get the seat and it does not work they will allow me to return the seat with no shipping charge and a full refund. I also spoke to him about the seat pan as the large protrusion on the left side of the drivers seating area on the OEM seat sticks down between the frame rails right where I want to mount my accessory fuse block. Neal stated that the Mustang seat pan does not have the part sticking out. I really like the looks of the seat and believe it will compliment the bike very well. I have been using the mustang seats on my Harleys for 20 years and really like them.
@ziptie I was told they are on backorder 4-8 weeks, have the option of checking with some of their distributors who may have some in stock. Are you concerned with cab-bus issues provided the OEM passenger backrest and the Mustang driver/passenger seat are you not compatible? I certainly do not want faults/code issues as a result.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Saw this, seems contradictory

Note: Not compatible on Gold Wing models with Idle Shut-Off. Heating element is not compatible with OEM on-bike controls and is instead powered by seat-mounted toggle switches. Wiring circuit requires both seat and passenger backrest to be installed together.

Heating element is controlled via seat-mounted toggle switches
Includes plug-&-play load connector for the OEM connection
Mustang’s patented controlled-density foam provides even weight distribution, eliminating pressure points for rider and passenger
Passenger area features extra padding and is wider than stock for increased comfort
Includes matching fully adjustable driver backrest
Matching Passenger Backrest with Heat sold separately (P/N 79921)

Seat itself looks nice but the armrests are not for me. $1500 is a lot of coin for an off the shelf setup but I guess you have to pay to play.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@virginiawing I noted the following in the bulleted list below the description;

Note: Not compatible on Gold Wing models with Idle Shut-Off. Wiring circuit requires both seat and passenger backrest to be installed together.

Heating element is controlled via bike's onboard controls

Mustang’s patented controlled-density foam provides even weight distribution, eliminating pressure points for rider and passenger

Passenger area features extra padding and is wider than stock for increased comfort

Includes matching fully adjustable driver backrest

Matching Passenger Backrest with Heat sold separately (P/N 79951)

·
Registered
177 Posts
@ziptie I was told they are on backorder 4-8 weeks, have the option of checking with some of their distributors who may have some in stock. Are you concerned with cab-bus issues provided the OEM passenger backrest and the Mustang driver/passenger seat are you not compatible? I certainly do not want faults/code issues as a result.
I don't really want to go to the distributers as they might only have the first generation seat that is not compatible with the oem heat controls and definitely will not work with the stock passenger backrest They did not say anything about 4-6 weeks when I talked to them on the phone yesterday. They did say it could take 2 weeks. As for the can bus and codes, I am not concerned as Neal stated that this will be a risk free trial in that if the heat does not work with the OEM passenger backrest I can return the seat and they will pay shipping. As for any codes that might happen, They can be erased.
The tech guy at Mustang (Neal) seemed pretty knowledgeable about the seat and even pulled up some drawings of the stock seat and the mustang seat to compare them and answer a couple of questions I had. They did not know for sure if the heat and the OEM passenger back rest will work together but someone has to try it :smile2:

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
My Mustang seat was delivered today, installed and tested. There was a possibility based on feedback from Mustang as to whether the OEM passenger backrest would function without issues (obviously they had not tested it with the OEM backrest).

It took only about 25 minutes to remove the Wingsoft/OEM seat and install the Mustang seat and test the function for both it and the OEM passenger backrest. The Mustang warmed up no issues, next to the OEM passenger backrest. It worked like it was meant to be! Now I don't have to pay out more $$$ for the Mustang passenger backrest. (The Mustang seat seams blended well with the OEM passenger seat.) Pics will be posted later. Mesh inserts on each fore area of the driver's seat were a nice touch and also mesh on the passenger trim.

The build quality and workmanship was class one, which I felt would be the case with Mustang based on my previous purchase of one. The vinyl was quality and the rivets were solid. The fiberglass base was a work of art and provided a perfect fit with several rubber feet around to provide a solid base that rested on the frame. They are high enough so as no worries of pinching the wiring on the Mustang seat. The steel coated "L" and the bolt holes matched up perfectly! Mustang provided shorter chrome 5mm hex Pan head discarding the OEM seat bolts. Nice and solid on the GW! no flimsy weak points as I sat and rocked the seat by hand and posterior.

I was not able to take a ride as the Florida liquid sunshine was making its presence known. But it sure felt nice and comfy just like my 2012 Mustang seat felt. Those with a pillion will surely love the thicker passenger seating are too! The helmet lock was seated and no issues. Passenger access to the handgrips was not a problem. Also, the passenger backrest is no longer an add on accessory the seat comes with it.

The Wingsoft mod was a fill-in until I found me another seat and served its purpose well. I still have not decided if I will modify the Mustang backrest to use my Utopia. The Mustang backrest really looks great and felt really good on my back. I think a road test of several hundred miles should give me a good idea if it stays put or gets the boot.

I'll post another write-up pro & con after I get some cold weather to see if the OEM heat has any issues, as it was 98 feel like here in Florida and really could not get a true assessment of heat output. Also, the seat sits me lower maybe an inch and slightly back as 2012 did, Mustang also advised me that would be the case.

Reactions: Drgsin

·
Registered
49 Posts
Any updates on the seat, Kenichi?

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@BeerFriendly @TravelingMan I am very happy with the Mustang seat, made several rides and no issues with pressure points (hot spots) as I was with the OEM and Wingsoft mod. No issues with the heated seat and canbus as it incorporates without any conflicts to date. If you are having any doubts I feel they are unwarranted at this point. Pull the trigger and enjoy the Mustang heated seat with OEM controls. I had one on the 2012 GL1832 and was just waiting until Mustang worked through the issue with the use of heat with OEM controls. It appears they have done so. They have dropped the price as well! The backrest works very well, I had replaced the 2012 Mustang with a Utopia, this time I'm enjoying the Mustang backrest. Again, I have no affiliation with Mustang seats. Happy customer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Mustang warmed up no issues, next to the OEM passenger backrest.
Just to make sure I am understanding correctly, the Mustang seat and the OEM backrest both heated correctly? While preparing to pull the trigger, I read their description that reads, "Wiring circuit requires both seat and passenger backrest to be installed together." Just want to be certain.

Also guessing the driver backrest is fully removable as well?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yes & Yes

@BeerFriendly
Just to make sure I am understanding correctly, the Mustang seat and the OEM backrest both heated correctly? Yes, the Honda Passenger OEM Backrest works with the Mustang rider & pillion seat. Both the Mustang rider & pillion seat wire into the already OEM plug as the Honda seat plugs into which completes the circuit with the Honda passenger backrest.While preparing to pull the trigger, I read their description that reads, "Wiring circuit requires both seat and passenger backrest to be installed together." Just want to be certain.

Also guessing the driver backrest is fully removable as well? Yes, the rider backrest is fully removable, as Mustangs has the slip height and lowering indents as usual.

Thanks.
You are welcome, hopes that helps.

Reactions: BeerFriendly
1 - 17 of 17 Posts