GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been aware of the mute switch but always use the volume down switch. I just started using the mute switch and it is great. Wondered if most use the mute switch or if you have been running the volume down and up with volume switch rather than the mute button.

Space if pretty limited on the handlebar switch cluster areas - many of us are disappointed with size or location of the horn button. Got me thinking about the cruise on/off switch on the right side. Does anyone use that switch and if so, why? I leave my cruise control switch on all the time and wonder why they bother putting them on vehicles as the brakes and shifting gears are very effective for disengaging the cruise control. I must be overlooking something.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
Mute button can be your friend.

It can also be an enemy....

Press and release the source/mute button to chance the source for the audio system.
Press and hold the source/mute button to 'mute' the audio system.

Operate volume control to unmute.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My button says source but has a speaker with a line thru it. I have been using volume switch and there is a delay when pressing it such that the mute works pretty well by comparison.

I had a car that did not have a cruise control on/off button. I like that you can leave the on/off switch activated but wonder what the useful purpose is. As space is limited, it seems they could do away with the switch and free up space for a larger easier to find horn button. I practice finding the button regularly but when it is needed, it can be hard to find when getting cut off by other drivers.

·
Registered
374 Posts
When I listen and use the Mute switch while listening to Pandora, I get to use it once, then never returns.
When I list to the music from my phone, I can mute and un-mute all day without an issues, what is nice is it picks up the music where you stopped it from

·
Registered
335 Posts
My 05 has a MUTE switch on the bottom right corner of the handlebar cluster. I use it every once in a while. It is labeled MUTE with small pic to show pushed in or out.

Reactions: Bayrec

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
To mute the volume: Press and hold the Source switch button on the left handlebar; page 72 of manual. Press and hold the Audio button on the center console to toggle the audio On/Off. (could not find in the manual)

Attachments

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
2018+ have no mute button. There is a way to do it as noted above, or you can just use the volume button

·
Registered
794 Posts
2018+ have no mute button. There is a way to do it as noted above, or you can just use the volume button
Long pressing the source button is what used to be the Mute button (on the 01-17).

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Once a long time ago, there was a huge fear of litigation concerning cruise control not having an explicit "off" switch because the general public was deemed to be to stupid to figure out how to stop it from holding the speed by other normal means. So, we end up with on/off switches in addition to set, decelerate, and accelerate. Some vehicles drive me nuts with them always turning off cruise causing me to slow down after I tried to set my speed after it was turned off on me. I am SOOOOOO glad that Honda did not do that madness on the 2018+. I think my cruise has been on since I got my 2018 in the beginning of 2019, and it has been on on my 2010 since I got it in Dec. 2011 I almost could say it has been on in my Trailblazer since Oct. 2001 except the dealer's that have had it for recalls and other repair work have always been turning it off on me.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I use the source button to mute, unless I’m in Apple CarPlay on either the music app or with the dashboard. In that case, I‘ll usually have the play/pause button highlighted on that so that I can use the select button to pause it instantly.

I don’t think it’s ideal that there’s a delay in using the source button method. If I’m listening to music as I ride and I want to stop it suddenly, it’ll usually be because something is happening on the road that I want to focus my attention on. And I usually want to focus my attention on it immediately, not in 2 seconds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts