GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all, took a break from work(Healthcare)today and pulled the GW out of storage. Felt good to ride and clear my mind. Yup live in Canada so we are just getting at it.
My mute button on the handlebar seems to not want to stay pressed in. Looking for any ideas to rectify.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Buttons get dirty over time, a good cleaning may help. CRC 2-26 Electrical cleaner and lubricant works very well. Spray it in around the button while working the button in and out generally makes everything happy again. Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Yep ! What M/Rider suggested above.......... (y)

Ronnie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is the CRC 2-26 the same as CRC QD electronic cleaner? I used that on a sticking hazard switch/button. Says its safe on all plastics.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
+2 good advise do them all while you are at it won’t hurt... I cleared a friends switch by pushing in button spraying letting it sit for a good 10 minutes then reflushing...

·
Registered
3 Posts
My hazard switch stuck in, so I got in the left side, took the switch housing out that contain it. Sprayed electronic cleaner in at it. Worked, but still was little sticky. So I actually took the switch out and disassembled it. Honda puts a little grease on the contacts and it had become hard. Cleaned it out with alcohol and cotton swab, used a little di-electric grease on contacts and reassembled. Be dang careful if you do this. There is a very small spring inside there you do not want to loose.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Is the CRC 2-26 the same as CRC QD electronic cleaner? I used that on a sticking hazard switch/button. Says its safe on all plastics.
I believe it's similar. The 2-26 is a cleaner and a lube, and like the QD cleaner, is plastic safe. I might add, in some cases the switches are so gummed up, you may need to separate the switch housing halves and flush everything from the back side. Good luck and drive safe.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Try the spray (a lot of it) before disassembling.

If you do disassemble, I read somewhere (Fred?) to do it inside a plastic bag so you might keep the spring that goes shooting off to join all those 10mm sockets somewhere.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks everyone the electrical contact spray worked like a charm. All is working. Thanks for the tips. I’m a nurse not a mechanic so simple tips help me out.
Big_Bird thats funny stuff.
Thanks again all. Stay healthy, stay positive, stay connected but from a distance.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Thanks everyone the electrical contact spray worked like a charm. All is working. Thanks for the tips. I’m a nurse not a mechanic so simple tips help me out.
Big_Bird thats funny stuff.
Thanks again all. Stay healthy, stay positive, stay connected but from a distance.
And, THANKS for what you do!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts