GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the signals on the back of my 2016 are amber but what will get the most attention for the mirror signal lights, red or amber?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I had amber on my GL1500. I liked them but in all honesty they are only minimally visible from more than 20 feet behind the bike.

I had amber ones on my wish list for the new GL1800. I found a discounted price on some sequential red ones and picked them up. They aren't much brighter than the others. The red though is not really dark, more blood orange. In bright sunshine from 20 feet back, they do not contrast or stand out as markedly different than the other turn signals.

So you know, I also have the replacement spoiler light from Electrical Connection; solid LEDs, not the sequential that the SCMG light has. And I have the Sentinel sequential lights from Add-On that attach to the back of the rear speaker housings, I love the idea of these but am disappointed in the execution.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
When I see the mirror signal indictors on both cars and bikes, I have this perspective.
For me the mirror signals should match the color of the rear signal lights. If they don't, for me at least, it looks like someone threw an accessory on and never checked the light color. Amber tail light signals with Red mirror signals, or the reverse, just look home made add on to me. Matching just looks more correct. But then again I have friends who want that contrast. So that's just my opinion!:shrug:

Corventure

·
Registered
782 Posts
When I see the mirror signal indictors on both cars and bikes, I have this perspective.
For me the mirror signals should match the color of the rear signal lights. If they don't, for me at least, it looks like someone threw an accessory on and never checked the light color. Amber tail light signals with Red mirror signals, or the reverse, just look home made add on to me. Matching just looks more correct. But then again I have friends who want that contrast. So that's just my opinion!:shrug:

Corventure
Actually, ME TOO! But I'm also a tightwad so I thought I'd try the red to save $50. :grin2:

As of this moment, I'm good with my choice although if someone wants to trade their amber for my red I'd be happy with that also.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know what you guys mean by the mixture of red and amber rear signal lights. I see them on car and trucks from the dealership lot's and I will say, they stand out and get your attention. They also look like aftermarket add-on's.

I also read with the Muth signal lights I would loose part of the mirror landscape.

On my GL1500 I had the rear signal lights the stuck on the back of the mirror and sat between the mirror and the housing. I think I'm going back to them if I can find them. they worked good and I didn't loose any of the mirror.

Reactions: wehrme

·
Registered
112 Posts
In some states red bulbs in the front are not compliant. PA is one of those states....

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I've got the red ones on a new-to-me used bike. About 2000 miles riding. I like them.

Not something I would have gone out of my way to add.

I do NOT notice any interruption of the field of view like @Winger Dan states is a concern.

I get the moral purity of turn = amber. I wish I hadn't read this thread as I hadn't thought of my deficiencies in this area beforehand. Oh well. I have so many other ones to dwell on I will get past this.

As far as their visibility to others, I think it may be splitting hairs between the two colors and even between having them and not having them. But IDK. I do find them nice to remind me I've got my signals on (or not).

·
Registered
498 Posts
Mine are red and I like them. I never thought about them being orange/amber. Hmmm .....

They do not take up any mirror viewing real estate. As mentioned above, they are a nice reminder that they are on.

As far as not using red in the front. I believe that refers to aiming front wards.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I know what you guys mean by the mixture of red and amber rear signal lights. I see them on car and trucks from the dealership lot's and I will say, they stand out and get your attention. They also look like aftermarket add-on's.

I also read with the Muth signal lights I would loose part of the mirror landscape.

On my GL1500 I had the rear signal lights the stuck on the back of the mirror and sat between the mirror and the housing. I think I'm going back to them if I can find them. they worked good and I didn't loose any of the mirror.
===================================================================================

These are the ones I opted for. Just like you described.
Oh... I also have the Multi-Vex mirror glass that eliminates any blind spots. Multi-Vex is no longer around, but there are other brands available.
I see them on Wingstuff.

Corventure Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've got the red ones on a new-to-me used bike. About 2000 miles riding. I like them.

Not something I would have gone out of my way to add.

I do NOT notice any interruption of the field of view like @Winger Dan states is a concern.

LOL, I don't think I implied that was a concern only that I read there is less mirror landscape. Okay, now that that is behind us lets see how we can help others. Dan

I get the moral purity of turn = amber. I wish I hadn't read this thread as I hadn't thought of my deficiencies in this area beforehand. Oh well. I have so many other ones to dwell on I will get past this.

As far as their visibility to others, I think it may be splitting hairs between the two colors and even between having them and not having them. But IDK. I do find them nice to remind me I've got my signals on (or not).
I agree 100%
If they fit I will be adding the amber stick on type. I like the built in chevron style but I'm used to the stick on type. No BS, both styles are nice and service a purpose. Dan
Yellow Bird please see above for other reply's to your questions or concerns.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
^ Dan, it sounds like you have a plan. Happy sticking on.

Your comment (confounded into the quote) -- I meant "concern" as in a matter of interest/discussion. I did not intend to imply you were losing any sleep. Pesky English. All good here.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
I have had Muths on my bike for years and they are great, especially in the dark. They are pointed slightly outward which makes cars in your blind spots fully aware of your turning intentions. Back when I bought mine, they only made them in red, but the red has an orange tint, so they look redder than my amber turn signals but not quite as red as my tail lights. Most people don’t even know there’s LEDs are in the mirrors until they’re turned on. They are a little pricey, but they are well made and seem to last.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NP Big Bird :)
I appreciate all the help, tips and pointers.
The funny this is, my 2016 is new with about 700 miles and I feel like an artist with a clean
canvas to paint on. Um...what do I need for my bike? LOL

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have had Muths on my bike for years and they are great, especially in the dark. They are pointed slightly outward which makes cars in your blind spots fully aware of your turning intentions. Back when I bought mine, they only made them in red, but the red has an orange tint, so they look redder than my amber turn signals but not quite as red as my tail lights. Most people don’t even know there’s LEDs are in the mirrors until they’re turned on. They are a little pricey, but they are well made and seem to last.
Thanks techdude2000, I'm still on the fence with these mirror signals. I do remember from my earlier wing that I always wanted to push the mirror out to the side just a bit and couldn't.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm kind of a tight wad also, I really couldn't see paying the price the Muth wanted for their turn signals, so I built my own. The nice thing about the GL1800 mirrors is that they are translucent, so mounting a turn signal behind the mirror is pretty easy as long as you are careful. If I recall, my total cost for both turn signals was around 10.00.

Here's a couple of pictures, one with turn signals on and the other with turn signals off.

Attachments

Reactions: 98valk

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Nice work Terry.:thumbup:
Labor of love and self satisfaction.
Now do you get requests from others, like I do when I make things on my own.. "Can you make me a set for $10 too"!:surprise:

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
498 Posts
Nice work Terry.:thumbup:
Labor of love and self satisfaction.
Now do you get requests from others, like I do when I make things on my own.. "Can you make me a set for $10 too"!:surprise:

Corventure Dave
Short answer, YES !

I"ve posted my write up on how to do this on other forums, but I always get "can you build me a set", my answer, yes I can but not for 10.00.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I went with amber. As much as possible on my 2017 from front to side to rear and sequential flashes amber for turn/hazard and red for stop/slow. There is not really a wrong choice. Red might be more visible in the day. Enjoy whatever you choose.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts