GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried on and off for quite a while to find the source of the vibration that I experience with my MUTH Mirrors. I really like them for the added visibility, but they vibrate at the least little bump; almost to where the wind itself will affect them!

I looked to see if there wasn't something in my dash that is cracked, I have tried both the stock windshield and the Tulsa. I don't really notice any above ordinary vibration with the OEM mirrors, although they are not rock-solid, but I chalk that up to the mirror hanging out as they are. Maybe a mount with out the swivel (break-away) would improve that.

I have checked the screws that mount the mirror to the bike and everything I can think of. I thought I was being too picky, but the difference between stock these mirror is night and day!! Just tapping on the handlebars causes a "jarring" or blurred look through the mirrors! It is like they are mounted on rubber bands!!!

Is there any way to tighten the mirror up? As in getting it adjusted, pulling it out without disturbing the setting and locking it down?

Any comments that might help me out would be appreciated. I cannot believe everyone who has these mirrors experiences this!

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Did you get the top two little tabs or ears into the slots or in front of the slots. The easy way to tell is to push on the bottom of the mirror like your going to adjust it down, but not. Just apply enough pressure to feel if it is moving in the housing. If it moves, it isn't in the tabs or not in both tabs.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Vibration

Catfish when I first got the MUTH mirrors I thought the same thing. I new I couldn't feel anything different in the bike but the mirrors seemed to have more in them. I have come to the conclusion that it is because the MUTH just magnify everything more and just looks like it is vibrating. After a few hundred miles I got used to them and hardly notice it now.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KJ5IX said:
Did you get the top two little tabs or ears into the slots or in front of the slots. The easy way to tell is to push on the bottom of the mirror like your going to adjust it down, but not. Just apply enough pressure to feel if it is moving in the housing. If it moves, it isn't in the tabs or not in both tabs.
Yeah, I did pull the mirror down (as if adjusting it to look down) and without having the screw in, the tabs are in both slots but there is movement fore and aft. I put the screw in and tightened the heck out of it and that play seems to have gone away. As I said before, you can simply drop your hand on the handlebars without necessarily hammering down and get the mirror to vibrate. Seems awfully sensitive to me!! :shock:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Vibration

Geee, I figured there would be more responce as there seems to be so many riders with these mirrors.

Maybe I'll have to wait for Muth's responce; perhaps I have a bad set of mirrors?

BUMP

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Santa brought me a set for Christmas...installation was easy...yes I do notice some "vibration" but nothing really more than the OEM mirrors and not enough to be a bother.

I did notice that the Muth's are easier to adjust than the OEM, tht is they can more easily be moved while mounted.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Vibration

Thanks to all for thier posts. If anyone else has words of wisdom, please let me know. I will post any reply I get from MUTH.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mirrors

I've had mine on for a year now and I've never noticed any vibration at all. Installed by dealer so don't know if he did anything different.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Catfish,
Try placing some tape on the tabs until they fit snug, then install the mounting screws.
I've noticed, when installing the Mirror Air Deflector with those mirrors the fit is not very good, sort of sloppy!
Have a Safe New Years
Allen
Tulsa Enterprises

·
Registered
698 Posts
The black plastic part inside the mirror can get some slack in it. Take it appart and see if you can move the mirror a little bit vs the black plastic. If so use some glue or something to remove the slack.

·
Registered
149 Posts
warning, windy post.

I've read about this problem in the past.

I put a set of Muths on my wing this summer, and the tab into the slot, at the top on mine, was a tight fit. I had to use a small screw driver to reach up thru the screw hole in the bottom to kind of pry the bottom of the mirrors into position to install the screws. Mine vibrate no more than the OEM mirrors did. (which is very little).

This, and Allen's, (Tusla's), post, makes me think either all the OEM mounts, and/or, all the Muth mirrors, are not made exactly the same. I vote to try Allen's suggestion to make the top fit real snug.

I am reminded of a drive system we got in where I work. The motors, gear boxes, and drive wheels, came as an assembly from Japan. As the drive wheels started wearing out, the company bought a bunch of replacement wheels from an American vendor. When we tried to use them, some fit on the gear box shafts, some did not. All were, supposedly, within spec. Come to find out, when Japan spec-ed out the inside diameter of the wheels, they called it "within 1 mil". To them, that meant, 1 mil total, anywhere from + 1/2 mil, to - 1/2 mil. (The largest had to be within 1 mil difference from the smallest). To the American vender, "within 1 mil", meant + or - 1 mil. (The largest could be in reality, 2 mils different from the smallest).

True or not, that's what we were told.

My point is, if Muth and Honda have the same lack-of-communication, some mirrors are indeed going to fit sloppy. While others, (like mine), are not.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tulsa said:
Catfish,
Try placing some tape on the tabs until they fit snug, then install the mounting screws.
I've noticed, when installing the Mirror Air Deflector with those mirrors the fit is not very good, sort of sloppy!
Have a Safe New Years
Allen
Tulsa Enterprises
Thanks Allen,

I will give that a try! I guess I only noticed a little play on one tab on one side. Thought that tightening down the screw was enough to get rid of the play. Aparently not!!

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Have you taken them off and compared them next to each other? Put the old one back on ans see the difference again. I have had mine on for so long I cant remember if they vibrate more or less.

Honda does not give out the specs to aftermarket companies. They must buy the part they want to make and go from there. Honda will only divulge such info if another company is making a product for Honda to sale.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts