GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to add the Muth Signal Mirrors with the brake module. Putting the mirrors on is no problem but wondered if anyone can tell me be the best place to locate the brake module for ease of wiring on a 2006 GL1800. Did you run into any problems with the wiring and would you have done anything any different

Thanks

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
RW,
I have an '05 but the '06 may have different turn signals. Muth mirrors are plug and play. They add a "y" cable to the original turn signals and their mirrors plug into one end of it. If the '06 mirrors and wiring is the same as the '05 it is about a 30 minute job. You don't have to remove the mirror housing at all. Just pop out the original mirror glass and peel back the boot.

Oops. I see that you are looking at hitting the brake as well. I was not aware they made that now. Oh well take my comments for the turn signal portion. I can't answer about the other.

Hope this helps.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
RW,
I just went to their site and saw the brake module. Unfortunately they don't suggest where to hit the brake source. I also did notice that they are sending the crimp type connectors. Many have had problems with them after a while. I would suggest soldering or using a different type system to connect and splice into the wiring.
Here are Muth's directions for those interested:
http://www.kwmuth.com/techsupport/pdfs/21000590.pdf

By the way, if it were me I would look under the seat for the brake line to tap into.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
I installed the Muth Mirrors about a year ago. They are great. I decided not to add the brake module. My thinking was that people on either side would only be able to see one mirror. So the mirror lighting up with the brake light could be confusing since it would look like a turn signal. From behind people would be able to see the brake lights. JMHO FWIW

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replys.......what I am really looking for it the best location to tap the brake source and turn signals and where to locate the brake module on the bike.......ex underseat, right fairing, left fairing...

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
The Muths will be plug and play at the mirrors. If you need brake only for a modulator, under the seat, big grey plug just in front of the trunk. Green wire with red stripe is the brake light feed to the back of the bike.

·
Registered
43 Posts
06 & 07 wiring harness .......

Are different from prior 1800's. Some of the differences are minor & can be easily dealt with by using wiring adapters which will still make some installs plug & play. JMHO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts