GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post on this forum. I’ve been lurking on here for about two years and can honestly say that I have learned a lot about my wing from everyone here. I need some help… the display on my ’06 with Nav sometimes goes crazy. I’ll be riding along and then the display will go blank and starts trying to go back on by going thru the ceremony as if it’s starting up again. Today on a 200 mile ride it went off about 20 minutes into the ride and kept flickering trying to come back on. It finally came back on about 10 miles from home. The weather was nice today kind of hot, around 87 when I got back home. As you can imagine, it’s very frustrating and am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what was done to fix it. Is the only solution to take it to the Honda dealer or is there something I can do to fix it? Thanks for taking the time to read this… any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
240 Posts
This is my first post on this forum. I’ve been lurking on here for about two years and can honestly say that I have learned a lot about my wing from everyone here. I need some help… the display on my ’06 with Nav sometimes goes crazy. I’ll be riding along and then the display will go blank and starts trying to go back on by going thru the ceremony as if it’s starting up again. Today on a 200 mile ride it went off about 20 minutes into the ride and kept flickering trying to come back on. It finally came back on about 10 miles from home. The weather was nice today kind of hot, around 87 when I got back home. As you can imagine, it’s very frustrating and am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what was done to fix it. Is the only solution to take it to the Honda dealer or is there something I can do to fix it? Thanks for taking the time to read this… any help will be greatly appreciated.
The display is connected via a connector just in front of the ignition switch, this may not be plugged in okay or a pin pushed back.

·
Registered
346 Posts
check your Voltage...when my voltage gets under 11,the navi screen don't work...

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm going to update my '07 Nav system..... I've read the "cheats and alternatives" on this board and feel that I think that I'll just update with the Garmin disk..... Did you ask your local dealer about it??? Mine doesn't know much about Wings and relies on my research on the internet to give them advise..... But if I have a problem (even with them not being too GoldWing savvy),,, they do their best to help me,,,, and I have to say that "Williamson Honda" in Mill Hall, PA will do their best to fix my problem,,, and won't charge me until it's fixed (not trial and error fix it people who charge you for each "fix" that they do). Try to work with your local dealer to see if they can help and please keep us posted (because we may encounter the same problems).... Al :yes::yes::yes:

·
Vendor
21,876 Posts
If the ceremony screen is presenting itself after it goes off, that tells me that the Nav board in the trunk is rebooting. This would indicate to me that the problem is not in the display, but in the power to the Nav board.

There is a two pin connector in a rubber boot under the seat that provides power to the Nav unit in the trunk. I would probably check that first, and I would also check to make sure the fuses are all pushed in tightly. It sounds like you have a bad connection for power going to the Nav board. The board itself also has a connector on it in the trunk.

In my 2009 manaul the connector I am refering to is C27 and is shown on photo 80 in the back of the ETM. It gets power from fuse 31 and the accessory relay (which tells the Nav board to boot when the ignition is turned on).

·
Registered
8 Posts
mar-7, my 06 navi started acting up last summer. It ended up that the card that plugs in the slot for the navi system(located in trunk behind the little door) started backing its self out of its slot. I pushed it back in,recalibrated it and its worked fine since. Good luck...

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm going to update my '07 Nav system..... I've read the "cheats and alternatives" on this board and feel that I think that I'll just update with the Garmin disk..... Did you ask your local dealer about it??? Mine doesn't know much about Wings and relies on my research on the internet to give them advise..... But if I have a problem (even with them not being too GoldWing savvy),,, they do their best to help me,,,, and I have to say that "Williamson Honda" in Mill Hall, PA will do their best to fix my problem,,, and won't charge me until it's fixed (not trial and error fix it people who charge you for each "fix" that they do). Try to work with your local dealer to see if they can help and please keep us posted (because we may encounter the same problems).... Al :yes::yes::yes:

You have to purchase the update directly from Garmin on their website. I believe the last update was the sring 2008 and even then the maps were a little old. I suspect another update will be out this year, but that's just a guess. Here is a link to the update. It costs $199.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=10750

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Fred , the big plug behind the display board if it was loose would it do a full reboot??
remove panel arond key stick your hand up there , it's a big plug in the middle of dispaly has a rubber cover boot over it.

·
Vendor
21,876 Posts
I don't know if that would cause a reboot. System power doesn't come from the meter panel, all it gets is video info sent from the nav board in the trunk, and it passes button commands back and forth.

The suggestions about a loose memory card in the trunk is also a good possibility. I would probably check that FIRST, since it is the easiest thing to check.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts