GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving up the world famous Moki dugway today. Stopped at top and bike was puking coolant. The riders following me said I left a trail for a ways. I was not watching the gauge so I don't know how high the reading got. It was just a notch above center when the riders following me pointed out my leak. You would think honda would just face the fact and fix the obvious problem. At least I don't have wobbles. The Moki dugway is 3 miles long. I was running in second gear. This has been the only flaw I have had in 8500 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
The Waterwetter fixed my overheat problems!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,246 Posts
Mike Anderson said:
.... Stopped at top and bike was puking coolant. The riders following me said I left a trail for a ways. I was not watching the gauge so I don't know how high the reading got. ....
Coolant is slippery. It's a good thing it didn't upset your bike by causing the rear wheel to lose traction.

Your profile isn't complete, <edited>... but, at one time in the past the temperature gauge was accurate, but Honda changed that because they didn't want you to know when the bike was getting too hot. :roll:

Anyway, be sure to top off the coolant and make sure the system is properly burped. Then, perhaps, it won't overheat again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,305 Posts
Mike Anderson said:
I was running in second gear.
This could have been your problem. Most times it helps to get in the highest gear possible when in parade mode. The GL1800 will run well in 5th gear at 1200-1400 RPM depending on the grade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,751 Posts
For you people that have not rode up the moki dugway it is a dirt road that goes up a cliff. The road just switches back and forth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,515 Posts
If your gauge was just a little above center, I'd say you're leaking, Not overheating. You're not gonna puke coolant where you said your gauge was.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,751 Posts
mr.b said:
If your gauge was just a little above center, I'd say you're leaking, Not overheating. You're not gonna puke coolant where you said y

our gauge was.
My 06 the fans will run til you hit 20 MPH. 20MPH would be apretty fast for that road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Wanderer said:
Mike Anderson said:
I was running in second gear.
This could have been your problem. Most times it helps to get in the highest gear possible when in parade mode. The GL1800 will run well in 5th gear at 1200-1400 RPM depending on the grade.
Yeah man... you were in the wrong gear. You're suppose to be in at least 5th gear when in parade mode. Just short shift the bike when climbing a hill and it will take care of you. :yes1:
 

·
Gold Member
Joined
·
1,425 Posts
wimpyhonda said:
For you people that have not rode up the moki dugway it is a dirt road that goes up a cliff. The road just switches back and forth.
Geez.....I wonder what's wrong with this picture???

With treatment like that your Goldwing has alot more to worry about than just over heating.

Bradford
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,663 Posts
look for a hole in your overflow bottle
you might have kicked up a rock on that dirt road
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
If you did put a hole in coolant bottle,that tells me that you need to add belly pan to bottom of beast
 

·
Legend in His Own Mind
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
overheat

I doubt that it really overheated, You probably have some other related coolant tank or overflow problem. I live in southeast Texas and it's really hot and humid here like Florida. I've had my '06 in Houston stop and go traffic several times and it's never gotten hot. Also I really put my bike thru it's paces from crawling along stop and go to very aggressive hill country riding with no overheating problems ever, at all. T. :hun1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
Re: overheat

tvbveb said:
I doubt that it really overheated, You probably have some other related coolant tank or overflow problem. I live in southeast Texas and it's really hot and humid here like Florida. I've had my '06 in Houston stop and go traffic several times and it's never gotten hot. Also I really put my bike thru it's paces from crawling along stop and go to very aggressive hill country riding with no overheating problems ever, at all. T. :hun1:
I was in stop and go traffic and I didn't overheat. (93 degrees.) I think it was because I was stopped and going very slow that allowed it to stay cool. When my speed picked up to "slow and go" mostly 10 to 20 MPH, I started to overheat. The needle went up to 3/4 of the gauge. Then traffic opened up and it went right back down to the middle of the gauge where it belongs.l

Damn those Honda engineers that came up with that "wonderful idea". If I could choose to reverse the fans, I would.

I have wondered what would happen if I installed a switch so I could turn the fans off when my speed got up to 15 to 20 MPH.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
mr.b said:
If your gauge was just a little above center, I'd say you're leaking, Not overheating. You're not gonna puke coolant where you said your gauge was.
The fix for the overheating issue on the 02 models was for a Honda tech to install a resistor wire on the temp gauge. This "fix" stopped the gauge from going to redline but did nothing to make the engine run cooler under slow speed conditions. I am assuming that the 06 models have the resistor built into the wiring harness or the gauge itself. Therefore, the bike could have overheated and puked even-though the gauge reports an operating temp that is only slightly above normal.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
22,225 Posts
I think I would tend to agree with the hole in the coolant bottle theory. Traveling a bumpy gravel road is a good way to knock a hole in a coolant reservoir.

My money would be on that as the cause of the coolant leak, and not due to an overheat. Fill up your reservoir and see if it doesn't all drain out again on the floor.

JB weld does a pretty good job of fixing busted coolant tanks, but you need to remove and dry the tank before applying it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,090 Posts
Another possibility is that the coolent recovery tank was over filled. The more more demanding slow prolonged ride was enough to expand teh coolent in the radiator more than his typical riding and result in the excess coolent being forced out with enough pizzaz to sort of immitate puking. But with an actual boil-over the coolent steam/puking is a violent affair -- its not a drip or a squirt, its a full blown erruption.

I broke one of the fittings off of my recovery tank and was able to get a neat fix by using a soldering gun to metl the parts back together and then re-inforced that joint by melting a scrap of clear poly ethelene wityh propane and letting the molten plastic run onto the cleaned, roughfened, and flame heated surface of the repair area -- Its very likely stronger than original now.

prs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
"The fix for the overheating issue on the 02 models was for a Honda tech to install a resistor wire on the temp gauge."

Does anyone know where is this resistor be on an 03?
Can it be jumped to give a true reading or is it in the ECM?
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top