GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to venture forth on changing the air filter on my 05 wing with Motor Trike conversion. I've been looking at the You Tube instructions and reading what I can about the procedure and remain somewhat intimidated. I'm concerned about all the electrical connectors. Do they come apart easily? Any tricks or things to avoid for a first timer would be appreciated.....Thanks...Alan

·
Registered
44 Posts
The most trouble I had was getting the connector to the meter panel apart. It was the bikes first air filter change and due to lack of easy access and 30 minutes of wasted time I finally got a pair of needle nosed pliers to the release tab and connector and it came apart easily. I bought a long pair of needle nose pliers for the next change some time next spring. Hope this info helps the rest of it was slow but next time it won't be a problem.

Chip

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
When I was younger I tried to tackle every chore that was presented - auto/truck maintenance and repair, home maintenance and repair, rv maintenance and repair, etc. Now that I'm older and don't see quite as well in poor light conditions, tend to be a little more forgetful, and have lost the skills I once possessed due to lack of practice, I was thoroughly intimidated by the thought of tearing off all the top covers to access the air filter on a new GW I am not familiar with.

When the GW tech at the local dealer was doing the job he invited me back for a minute or two to view the stripped down bike. I looked over the multitude of wiring harnesses and connections he had disconnected and the large array of parts he had set aside on every horizontal surface he had available and knew I had made the right decision.

I admire those of you who are capable of performing all your own maintenance but admit that I am not. I have found it cheaper in the long run to pay the man who knows how to do jobs like that rather than take the chance of damaging something expensive or even myself.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Having Fred's video really helped a lot. I tackled mine about 2 weeks ago. It takes a while to undo everything, and did the smart thing by taking photos with my android phone, to help recall the failing memory. Pretty much everything went back ok the first time. Just wish there was an easier way to do it, but there is not.:coffee1:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Get Fred's videos....... piece of cake. The meter panel has the trickest connector. The rest are squeeze and pull (radio plugs) then the antenna just pull. Now you have to dig to find the air box. Lots of screws to keep track of!!!!!!!

Here you go........http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200993........ Hope this helps. Good luck.

Lee

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm about to venture forth on changing the air filter on my 05 wing with Motor Trike conversion. I've been looking at the You Tube instructions and reading what I can about the procedure and remain somewhat intimidated. I'm concerned about all the electrical connectors. Do they come apart easily? Any tricks or things to avoid for a first timer would be appreciated.....Thanks...Alan
Invest in Fred's videos- one change of air filter and they pay for themselves!

Only issue I had after procastinating all winter was that on my 09 they had changed the latching style of some connectors compared to the connectors on the older bike Fred used for example.

Cant beat the feeling of satisfaction of doing the job yourself, set aside a afternoon and take your time and it will be a piece of cake.

Tim:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
The most trouble I had was getting the connector to the meter panel apart. It was the bikes first air filter change and due to lack of easy access and 30 minutes of wasted time I finally got a pair of needle nosed pliers to the release tab and connector and it came apart easily. I bought a long pair of needle nose pliers for the next change some time next spring. Hope this info helps the rest of it was slow but next time it won't be a problem.

Chip
Ditto the meter panel connection is a bear!

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Fred's DVDs will make it fool proof.

A couple of small reminders:

*Use small containers for the various fasteners. Label them as you go. I numbered some of them (with a felt marker, right on the head of the fastener) so that I wouldn't have to remember which one went where.

*Take your time! It's not a race and you'll get to know what's 'under the hood'. Most of the electrical connections are easy -- except for the one that several have mentioned. Fred's 'entertainment video' is really helpful.

*Don't forget to plug everything back as you reassemble -- and don't forget that cable release on the right-hand pocket!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
what they all said. I use two card tables. one on each side of the bike. I lay out all the parts on each table as i go. One thing I recommend, after getting the plastic off is clean as you go. use compressed air and shop vac to clean stuff up as you dig down to the filter. I use shop vack on filter before I remove it. Anything you can do to keep from dropping dirt or bugs into the intake. while you got all that apart flush your radiators from the outside and get the bugs out of them too.

·
Registered
528 Posts
It's easier than it looks. There are some large panels, when removed it looks like the whole bike was torn apart. Get yourself a nice radio and play some good music and dig into it. Expect to spend a few hours on it the first time, don't rush yourself on the re assembly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts