GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,177 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Capt Bob: That is a lot of miles and looked like you had a lot of tread left when i glanced under your bike.

I thought i was doing great when i was going to get about 16k or so on my first one. I don't ever run 30psi because of curves here is probably why i get less mileage.

I wanted a fresh tire for going to Glockjock so first one was taken off at 14500miles.

I have a few thousand miles left on a Pirelli SC yet but i don't like it near as much.

I still have another P1- V rated in the basement also. They are cheaper than the W.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
135 Posts
No, that’s the P7

This one below!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So...the second image shows the discounted P1 I just purchased. Don't let the "out of stock" designation dissuade you. It said that when I ordered as well. I simply added it to my cart and clicked through to payment. At the final check out it said it would take a of extra days to ship as it had to be accessed from a different warehouse. Crazy thing is I already received a confirmation email that the tire is on it's way!

:yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
135 Posts
My report on the P7 from a few years ago:

LINKY
Thanks for the link, that's some good info.
Found this particularly interesting. Hadn't heard this logic before. Makes sense to me.

Regarding the 'inside' and 'outside' mounting, here is what I understand. The outside is usually the harder wearing side. Since left turns are the longer turns in the US, it makes sense to put the harder wearing surface on the side that will be leaning into curves the most, so it is a way to balance the wear evenly side-to-side. That is the thinking I use.

·
Registered
879 Posts
That was an excellent price on the W rated. Neither one is that cheap right now.

PIRELLI P1 Have any of you guys used BOTH the "V" rated and the "W" rated?
Could you tell a difference?

The W being a higher speed rating is supposed to have a stiffer sidewall. The tread is a little wider also 5.9 vs 6.1.
Section width 7.8 vs 7.9.
Both supposedly weigh 21#,same load, same treadwear.

I have been running the V myself but thought the W might handle the Unigo trailer better with less air than the V.
Just hoping it would handle the Unigo trailer better period.
I normally run 33-34psi solo or with wife and need 36-37 with Unigo,wife, etc.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Normally when tire rack does the discount the tires are 2 or 3 year old. But I wear them out quick enough that it don't matter. I just wish the tread was thicker over on the edges. For anyone that just runs highways I have great tires I take off, edges worn heavy but still 3/4 tread on flat of tire.

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
Normally when tire rack does the discount the tires are 2 or 3 year old. But I wear them out quick enough that it don't matter. I just wish the tread was thicker over on the edges. For anyone that just runs highways I have great tires I take off, edges worn heavy but still 3/4 tread on flat of tire.
How do you manage that here in central IL???:wink2:
As someone once told me, at a DRI, it is so flat you can see Chicago and St. Louis from here.
:wink2:

·
Registered
879 Posts
oops EDIT @AGAUWING : How many miles do you have on the P1 by now? Do you like the darkside?
That was a ridiculous price for a W rated.
Cheapest i paid for a V was $102.

The W now is $163 everywhere(even tirerack)
The V now is $127.99 shipped at directbuytire.

I bought a couple of the W's at discounttiredirect for $125.75 each shipped. I sent them the $127.99 price to beat even though it was a V and not W and they didn't notice.

With the nasty weather here now, i don't know how long it will be until i can compare the V and W.
The rain is never ending it seems and yard is a mess to get the Wing through.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts