GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from a ride today, about 100 miles. Got off my trike and opened the garage door and drove it in. I was horrified to see a small puddle of coolant where it was parked, along with a trail were I drove it into my garage. Once I shut it off and crawled under, all I could find was some coolant around the end of what I assume is an overflow tube. The bike gauge was at normal range and the fan kicked on only briefly during the 10 seconds it took me to open my garage, get back on and drive it in. I am STUMPED! I had not added any coolant prior to this ride, or any other this season. I started the bike back up, and let it idle until the fan kicked on and watched underneath and NOTHING is dripping. A later check of the cooland level looks to be fine. I keep a serious eye on my gauges on every ride and the temp gauge has always been in the mid range. On another forum someone had mentioned to another poster with a similiar problem that there could have been air in the system and that it needed to "burp". I have never had this happen before so it's rather unnerving. Any help or advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Do you have a belly pan on the bike ??? The over flowtube goes down to a tank... Without a belly pan this tank is subject to getting damaged and leaking... Also the hose has been known to become disconnected from the tank and then it just leaks out on the ground and also sucks air back into the radiator as the bike cools down... If you don't already have a manual, then it would be a good idea to get one as it will show you how the systems work...Even if you don't do the work yourself, it's good to know what's involved so that you will know if you are being ripped of and a repair shop...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts