GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... I should have had the camera when I started this project, but I didn't. Luckily I didn't have an audio recorder, though, as the soundtrack to this install would have definitely been rated R for adult language! :oops:

I ordered, and received, a Honda CB, CB antenna, and white turn signal lenses. So, last night starting about 5 pm, I installed them. What an ordeal!

The lenses were first as they were the easiest. A few screws removed here, and few more removed there, and I had my lenses and bulbs changed out. I like it! I don't quite understand why the rear turn signals were white with amber bulbs but the front ones are amber with white bulbs, but now everything seems to fit together better. On to the next step...

I decided to tackle the CB antenna next as it was the next easiest task. I put tape on the outside of the trunk to help avoid splintered and cracked paint, and drilled away. It wasn't as painful as I thought, although that first drill hole was a bit unnerving! :shock: I got the holes drilled, and installed the antenna base. I ran the wire through the pre-drilled hole and secured it in the space below the seat. I added the whip, but haven't tuned it just yet (need to find an adapter from the Honda CB antenna plug to a standard antenna plug). So, on to the last step...

The CB. I don't even know where to begin. All I can say is I have never taken more stuff off a bike in one sitting as I did last night! I didn't remove the trunk as I searched the internet and found that I could drill the hole for the wires without removal of the trunk. I did, however, remove the top shelter, and that's where my troubles began.

The one tip I missed when scouring the internet was marking the screws so that I would know which one came from which hole. It wasn't until after I removed all of the screws that I realized they were different sizes! Argh!

Nevertheless, I got everything installed, and put back together, and everything seems to be working now. I have added a few pics of the end result... enjoy.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Very nice! Job well done!

I'm curious -- I didn't know people still used CB radios. What will you use your's for? Are there a lot of others out there to talk to, or is it for riding with buddies that also have CB's?

I wish there something I could buy to use the CB controls. I probably won't get a CB, but it would be nice to have those controls be useful for something...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got it to be able to talk to one riding buddy in particular, although as my riding buddy circle expands when I start to meet other GL riders, I figure I will eventually run into others that have a CB. My buddy still rides an FJR (working on him to go ahead and convert to the GL), but I suppose it could come in handy on the interstate at times as well. I sure wish the CB didn't cost so much!

It would be nice if someone (or Honda specifically) would make a drop-in GPRS/Family Radio module to replace the CB but still use the CB controls. I'm actually surprised no one has as of yet (or I haven't found it). CB is still used on the interstate, of course, but more and more bike comm kits target GPRS/FRS as the radio of choice.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Lenses

Where did you get your clear lens covers? I have an 08 Titanium also and that looks much better than the orange covers.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Nice work man, and great color!

I think I'm going to do the clear lenses as well - it'll flow better with the tails. I like how yours look.

:congrats:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I agree that it helps compliment the overall look of the bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts