GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought new,broke in like I allways break in bikes,oil change at 600-1000 miles with mobile one,noticed I use a bit of oil,did not think nothing of it till yesterday a friend did a video and I saw when I was hard on the gas to pass some bikes a bit of smoke out of the left pipe"as sitting on the bike",,,i still have a lot of warrenty so.......any ideas?

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, but I don't think it's any problem. But I've been wrong plenty of times before.....

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, but I don't think it's any problem. But I've been wrong plenty of times before.....
Burning oil or a puff of smoke is not necessarily a problem. Only when it is excessive, or actually, only if you run out of oil. You didn't mention how many miles you have on the bike.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I would monitor the usage more closely at this point. It's going to have to be an awful lot before Honda would tear down your motor.

You didn't mention if it was blue smoke or not. A little puff of blackish smoke when you get on it is not outside the norm.

I agree with above a simple plug check would tell a lot especially the left bank versus the right bank if you suspect something may be going on left side versus right side.

Compression and leak down are pretty easy and non invasive too.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hondas flat 6 cyl engine most always smoked a little after the bike was on the side stand for awhile. Could be that there might of had some traces of oil in the left bank that would be why you got a little smoke from the left side. You never said if it cleared up after it smoked or not but it doesn't sound like you have much of a problem if any at all.

·
Vendor
17,416 Posts
Rick .... Your Wing has been burning oil for a while. TripleC reported that to me a 1.5 years ago or whenever it was you guys were running the Gap. If someone is able to follow close enough while you're riding harder and faster, from what I was told, a puff of smoke out of each pipe on each shift.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Had the same problem on my 03. Turned out the valve guides, valve seals and valve stems were worn on the left side. Removed the head, put in new guides, seals, and valves, no more problems. Did not remove the engine from the frame, just worked around everything and took the head off. Contacted the area rep about the issue and the response was "we will keep it at a dealer for about 90 days and tell you we can't find anything wrong. So I made the repairs myself out of my pocket.

Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Sounds like guides and/or seals a little on the loose side. At upper RPM's the valve covers probably fill up with oil, then when you let off the throttle the vacuum sucks a little back in around the exhaust guides. Probably ought to let Schroaders know, but unless it gets to a quart every 1000 miles I doubt Honda would do anything. Do you run synthetic?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like guides and/or seals a little on the loose side. At upper RPM's the valve covers probably fill up with oil, then when you let off the throttle the vacuum sucks a little back in around the exhaust guides. Probably ought to let Schroaders know, but unless it gets to a quart every 1000 miles I doubt Honda would do anything. Do you run synthetic?
yeah mobile one,bike has 13,600 miles,,started using oil last year,not a real lot at this point,,no smoke at idle,,runs great

when I get home I will change oil to something else and pull the plugs,not real worried at this point

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
When I raced cars, my race motors would use a dab of synthetic, it is thinner. I still ran it because it made 7-10 HP consistently on the dyno on a 700 HP engine. Of course you never worry about oil consumption on a race motor. I never even ran a dipstick, it was either full or on the racetrack.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Changed to synthetic before the rings had a chance to properly seat.
don't think so because for the first year it was fine.but hey ive been wrong before,lol

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Possibly I guess, but most race engines get a run-in of about 30 minutes then on to synthetic till death do they part ;=)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Piston rings don't take thousands of miles to seat. If you switch to synthetic at 600, 1,000, or whatever your piston rings have long since seated.

Many performance vehicles have had Mobil1 as a factory fill (Porsche, Corvette, etc.).

Now, some metal parts on the bike will continue to wear in (even with synthetic) which is why you will still find metal particles on a drain plug magnet. Gears, final drives, bearings, guides, etc. The whole system is wearing a little bit during its whole life. If you do an oil analysis every motor will have some small quantities of all of the metals (both ferrous and non-ferrous) used in the moving parts.

Can't say for sure what is going on with the bike from my desk far away but until you can measure the consumption in quarts per X,XXX miles it may not be an issue. EVERY engine uses some oil. Now, whether you can repeatably and accurately measure the amount is questionable because in most cases it is very little.

I agree with above until it burns a lot of oil or is smoking badly and fouling plugs there may not be a problem.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I doubt that since many motorcycles and automobiles come from the factory with synthetic oil. I along with thousands of othere have changed to synthetic at the first oil change anyway with no problems. It is not that slippery.

Actually in the overall scope of things, 13,000 miles is not a huge number. It very possibly is not totally broken in yet.

YW, like others have mentioned, I would at least get it on the record with your dealer... then go riding... a lot!

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 46 Posts