GL1800Riders Forums banner

My accident. Follow-up (Long)

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  iwing 
#1 ·
It has been a month since my accident and I have healed nicely. The eye has a little puffiness and the cuts are closed and healing. I have 'crawling' sensations from the scars that reminds me of it often. The leg has returned to normal size and the abrasions are gone. I still have a hard spot on the upper area of the calf under the skin and the area is numb. It is hard to tell, but I think the feeling is coming back ever so slowly. The shin and ankle are still sore to the touch and ache after walking or standing for a while.

Here is a link to My Accident.

USAA has been great so far as for the bike. It was totalled and Honda finance and myself have been paid. The medical claims rep called me Monday morning following the accident and was very helpful explaining all my benefits that are available. The medical bills are just coming in, so we will see how those are handled.

USAA also allowed me to get my add-on accessories off of my bike. This past Monday, Jim (Wingit) and I took off to Charlotte, NC in the cage with our tools and the OEM windshield. We stopped by DDKing's for a visit and were treated to pizza for lunch. He appears to be recovering nicely, but still has a ways to go. He can get around with his walker good and is starting to gain some weight back. All good signs of recovery. We hope Steve Aylor is recovering as well as we have been. Eventhough I hurt like an $OB after the accident, my injuries paled in comparison to theirs. It was good to see Dan upbeat and mobile. I know we will see him on the road before long.
Dan and Jim

Me and Dan

We arrived in Charlotte that evening and had a great steak at Omaha Steakhouse in the Embassy Suites. I burned some Hilton points for the room there and we had a great cooked to order breakfast the next morning, also. No Cheap and Stinky for us!!

After breakfast, we headed to the auction yard and went to work on the bike. It took us 4 hours to strip the bike, recover the goodies, and put the bike back together. The hardest removal was the trailer hitch, as neither of us had any experience with it. I had it installed at WOTS '05 by Bushtec. Alabama Ironbutt gave us some pointers from his experience with an install. It was definately at least a 3-handed job and I sure was glad Jim was there. My bike wasn't alone as there were more than 25 other bikes in the shed and a few out in the open. There was another 04 wing in the shed that appeared to have landed on it's top. I believe my bike had about the worst overall damage compared to the rest of the bikes in there. The current market value for the accessories I recovered totaled to $2707.09, not counting taxes (if applicable), and shipping. Well worth the trip.

Here is a link to the final pics of the bike. The boot pics show the difference of my right boot after the impact and drag along the wall.
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/dicepilot/Strip trip/

Thanks to all for your calls, thoughts, and prayers. They helped alot. Wingit (Jim), Robeth (Bob), and GL1800GSXR1000 (Wayne) took great care of me and my bike after the accident. I forgot to mention that my wife and boys drove to Hendersonville to bring me home after the accident. Ruined their weekend, so I owe them big time. After all, they could have left me up there! Jim was a HUGE help taking time away from his family and business to go with me to recover the add-ons. Alabama Ironbutt wanted to go also, but he has his priorities straight taking care of his wife right now. I am blessed to have met such great people on this board. Many of which live close by, but likely that I would never have crossed paths with them if not for the board.

Now on to chapter 2!!!

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70300

Link to original post.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67874&highlight=

See less See more
#3 ·
It was good to visit with the two of you. Thanks for fixing the VCR. Thanks to you two, I got to record a TV movie that had music in it in which my son was playing the bass. Lousy movie, but fun to hear his music.

You two sure made pigs of yourselves eating all that pizza. :lol: I only had half of one left and it's still in the freezer. Maybe someday I'll get my appetite back. :wink:

It's always good to see wingers. Thanks for stopping by.

#4 ·
Dice
Glad to hear you're on the heal and have got another pretty Wing lined up.
Sounds like you got a great riding buddy there in Wingit. But as many of us know, "You meet the nicest people on Wings.
You and your Alabama buddies and Me and my Georgia riding buddies need to hook up some weekend for some riding.

Trialsman

#5 ·
George,
Glad to hear you are doing better, hopefully you have been cleared back to normal air status. Sounds like you had the right people around when things did go wrong. Hope to see you in the spring.

#6 ·
Glad to hear you're on the mend!

I was interested to see you were insured with USAA. I've been a member for 30 years.

You must have had your bike insured there for a while because in late '03 they stopped insuring newly purchased M/C's. As far as I know they did not "non-renew" any off of existing policies, but if you had one, sold it and didn't replace it. Then bought another after a lapse, you were transferred to the "General Agency" where they give you a quote with Progressive...

I know this is true because I used to work for USAA in the "General Agency".

Just a "Heads up" that when you call them to add your new scoot, they will be transferring you to the "GA".

BTW, after the GA gives you the Progressive quote (they will also do Foremost if you ask), go to progressive.com and see if that is less $'s. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not...

Good luck,

Lance

#7 ·
Lance, I've been with USAA since 1990 and have been very pleased with them. I bought my bike in September '04 and it went on my USAA policy. I believe the change occured soon after that date. The bike was noted to be removed from my policy by them the day after the accident, so my replacement bike is going to be through the GA with Progressive. I did not check with Progressive this time, but I did shop around last year out of curiousity. Last year, Progressive wanted ~$900/yr and I was paying $750/yr with USAA. The GA quote for my next bike is for $669/yr.

I also have my Home and Life policies with USAA. Always happy to see a SSA check in the mail box!

#10 ·
George, I've been thinking about you lately and was wondering how you were doing. Thanks for letting us know, and I'm glad you're on the mend and up and running. Take care.

Bash.

#11 ·
Georgie,

I just looked at the photos of the bike and think you made a big mistake by not recovering the bike for salvage.......for just a couple hundred bucks you could have her looking like new......NOT!!

Glad you were able to get all your stuff off the bike.

Behave yourself.

Bob E.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.