GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On December 28, my wife and I were riding my '06 Goldwing from Houston to San Antonio on I-10 near Columbus. I had a blow out on the back tire and was unable to control the bike. We were going about 70 mph and am not sure how fast we were going when the bike finally fell. I am guessing around 50 mph.

We both got up after skidding for about 50 yards on the left side and made sure each other was okay. Some folks in cars stopped and helped pick the bike up and move it to the side of the highway. My leg was bruised a little bit and my wifes shoulder was bruised a little.

The part where this becomes my fault is that I tried plugging the tire about 15 miles before the accident. I was pretty sure the tire would hold up until we got to San Antonio where I could buy another tire. As I continued down the highway after plugging the tire, I could tell the back tire was a little spoungy feeling. I should not have continued. That is a lesson I learned regarding this incident. Next time I get a flat, I won't bother plugging it. I will just go ahead and get the bike towed.

I thought even though the tire was a little low on air, I could still make it the rest of the 100 miles, but now know better. I've heard of other riders being able to control the goldwing with a blow-out and man handle it to the side of the road. I have to give them cudos, as I can tell you from experience, it is an incredably violant behavior on the bike when the tire blows. I've heard a front tire blow out is worse.

The forces of the bike falling were much more than I expected. The initial fall was to the right and the bike immediately jumped back up and slammed to the left side. As we were skidding down the highway, I thought to myself that this wasn't so bad. I didn't feel any pain and we were wearing all of our leather, boots, and helmets. We didn't get any road rash. My leg from my knee to my ankle was bruised pretty badly and didn't really have any trouble with it the first week. The second week got worse and I went to the doctor to make sure nothing was broke and no blood clots.

The weight of the bike, plus me and my wife's weight when the bike slammed down was quite a bit as it turns out to my left leg. The first week I was able to walk with a limp, but the second week I had to use crutches as the pain got worse. This being the third week since the incident, I am getting around okay with a cane.

My purpose for posting this is that hopefully someone will learn from my accident. This is my first post and I usually read here 2 or 3 times a week and really enjoy all the posts. I'm not very good at posting so don't normally do this. Hopefully, again, someone will gain something from my experience, as I am always looking for ways to be safe and get a lot from the posts where people discuss their accidents.

I'm not sure what I am going to do about my bike yet. I've already taken it to a couple of places that told me it will cost around $14k to repair. I paid the bike off last year and to save $$$ only had liability insurance. My wife was wondering how long it would take me to start looking for a replacement and pretty much did that as soon as we got back from our trip to San Antonio.

If anyone has suggestions on what to do with my bike, I would appreciate it. I think only the front fender is the only piece of plastic that didn't get cracked. I thought I would just go ahead and try to get pieces here and there and gather it all up for less $$$ and take it to someone to repair. It seems like it will be cheaper for me to gather salvage parts than to get OEM and see if I can get someone to put it back together.

I'm pretty sure the frame is okay, but have not been able to start the motor as the handle bar broke and some of the wiring isn't connected to complete the starting relay circuit.

Be safe out there. Take it from me... Never ride on a low tire.

·
Registered
60 Posts
tough case

We all do things that we should not do, sometimes we pay the price for that moment of stupidity. The fact that you are able to post this and that your wife is ok is great, I hope that you are able to put your bike back together or able to find another one that you like. I like you do not post here much. but read the board several times a day.
The great thing is there are a lot of good people here that may be able to help you out with some of the stuff you need. also pinwall cycle in ohio has lots of parts too.
the first thing is to get all healed up and start on your way with the bike repairs. if you need something just pm me. maybe i can help. steve/6-pak

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I appreciate your sharing your experience and am glad to hear you and your wife are OK.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
WOW!! Glad that you are ok. I have a rope kit and a compressor for emergency use, but I'm sure that it will be an emergency before I use it. Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum! Keep us updated

I would post the parts you need and see how many of them forum members might be able to help you with. Lots of trike shops might get you started

·
Registered
821 Posts
Thanks for the post, I am glad you had your safety gear on and wasn't hurt any worse than you were. I wish the best for you on repairing your bike and getting back on the road.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for your post, sorry to hear of your accident, but great to hear you both are OK, and because of your choice to wear protective clothing, you both will enjoy the opportunity to ride again! Randy

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
glad you escaped from a potentially fatal incident with relatively little injury. My take-away from your explanation was the fact that you plugged the tire, rode knowing it was low on pressure ... and then were going 70 mph. Low pressure and speed do NOT play well together.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
GW2,
GREAT post & very good account of your wreck. Really glad you're both O.K..
Where was the plug installed? Center of tread or sidewall?
What to do with the motorcycle?
If the motor, trans & frame are O.K., I'd try to rebuild it with salvage parts, or even chop it.
I'm pretty sure Fred H or Bugsquasher could figure out something to do with it.
happy trails,
the hobo

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Glad you're ok. I've never had a flat and I always wonder how I'd handle one at high speed. I guess I won't know until it happens.

Hope things work out for you. Larry

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i plugged one,it lasted a while,i was young and a girl wanted to go fast,so we did,like 120mph

well we rolled into town,30mph and the bike felt funny,yup rear was flat!i was 19 at the time

i will plug to get to repair shop"closest one!" but thats it!!!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Glad you survived, glad you posted, assume it will cause many of us to pause. I am only saying this as a statement of fact, not to endorse or chide...but I put a run flat car tire on mine yesterday with this type of wipeout in my mind. Not saying you should/should have/someone should (sheesh, feel like a lawyer).

I have a plug kit on the bike and would use it if I needed to get somewhere but I guess I had previously thought I would limp the bike to a repair spot or dealer etc. I am NOT making any judgement of your decision making but would assume the above post is accurate that a plug/damaged tire and speed to not mix.

Most if not all of us have had a moment where we did something dumb, had back luck, mishaps and so on. The bottom line with each occurence is that we learn from it (and by posting, help others learn) and survive with our health/life in order. The machine can be fixed or replaced...we can't be nor can our co-riders.

VERY glad you're okay, very glad you posted and joined us all...and very glad my mishaps have been relatively minor (if boneheaded). Best to you on your quest. I have some trim pieces, original exhaust tips laying around that I would give you for shipping if you want 'em just to get the spirit of helping started.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
First of all I am sure glad you and your wife are ok. We went down in June from hitting a deer. Yep it starts to smart the next day.
I plugged a rear tire in New Mexico on I-40. Aired up tire. After I plugged the tire we didn't exceed 50 mph. Lasted less than 5 miles. Ended up on a tow. New tire installed in Santa Rosa. The Silver Moon Garage was able to take my tire off the rim after I removed the wheel, and got a new tire delivered from Albuquerque the same day and had us back on the road by 7pm that day. Sometimes it works out.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I hope that I remember your post if I ever have occassion to fix a flat on the road.

I'm sure that it is painful to admit to the mistakes. I'm am glad that the two of you survived and hope that you can put the cane away soon!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Also very glad to hear you are going to be fine.
I suspect it wasn't the plug but the low preasure coupled with high speed that got you in trouble. I have several thousand miles on a plugged rear tire on the Valk with no problems but I went slow for the first several hundred and monitered the preasure to be sure the plug was properly seated before I had a lot of confidence it the repair.

Good luck getting up and running soon.;)

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
1st off, I'm glad that you and the Mrs. are ok! Thanks for the post, having liability insurance is a bummer! I think i'll keep full coverage till I get another one , myself! There are many salvage places that may be interested in buying your wing or selling you the parts! I use to have some links, but not now. Someone will post some, i'm sure! Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
306 Posts
YOWZA!

70mph on a newly plugged tire that felt low on air/spongy and ridiing two up??? :shock:

The Big-Guy upstairs was with you two that day!!

Glad you are OK...

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Thank you very much for posting! Glad to hear you are both fine...what an excellent lesson for the rest of us to learn from you...I've not yet had a flat at speed, but will listen to your lesson, and call for a tow if needed! Thanks again! Heal well and fast!

1 - 20 of 126 Posts