GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 60 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Glad to hear you and the wife are okay. What an experience! This is something that most of us would take for granted about plugging a tire. I haven't had to do so yet but need be I will be careful and get a new asap.

What make and model tire was it? How many miles were on the tire? What initially caused the flat?

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Really glad your get off didn't severely injure you or the wife. Sorry about your bike thats really too bad. I have plugged many a rear tire and used the same tire until wearout with no problem. The real moral of the story here is to stay tuned in to your bike. The seat of your pants always signals bike problems, do not ignore these signal and your instincts. I've had flat tires (not blowouts)at high speeds and felt the distinct mushy handling & wallowing then pulled over and took care of it. Listen to your bike and your gut, it'll save your arse. Not preaching at anyone, just reminding.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey Good - glad to hear you and the wife are OK - could have been much worse. Many thanks for the cautionary note. As one Spring-ite to another, please be safe and good luck with putting it back together or replacing it.

·
Smoky
1,191 Posts
good_w2,
Sorry to hear of your accident. Glad you and the wife are going to be okay. Sorry that your bike got damaged.
I think what you did wrong was to not air the tire up completely and run 70 mph. It is not a good idea to run a new or used tire low on air on our heavy bikes or any other as far as that goes. The heat build up in the tire when run low will destroy even a new tire. New rear tires on these bikes have been know to blow out and delaminate even with closet attention to tire pressure.
IMHO one of the most important things we need to watch on these heavy bikes is the tire pressure.
Good luck.

·
Registered
477 Posts
glad you escaped from a potentially fatal incident with relatively little injury. My take-away from your explanation was the fact that you plugged the tire, rode knowing it was low on pressure ... and then were going 70 mph. Low pressure and speed do NOT play well together.
+1 I agree. You plugged the tire but rode like it was a new tire. Riding two up (extra weight) at 70 MPH on a recently plugged tire with low pressure is asking for trouble. Plus your ignored the spongy feeling of the back tire and decided to ride on 100 miles. You took a lot of unnecessary risks. However, I'm glad you and your wife are fine. Thanks for sharing your post. It reminds us all of how quickly things can go bad and the value of wearing protective gear.

·
Registered
18,685 Posts
good_w2,
Sorry to hear of your accident. Glad you and the wife are going to be okay. Sorry that your bike got damaged.
I think what you did wrong was to not air the tire up completely and run 70 mph. It is not a good idea to run a new or used tire low on air on our heavy bikes or any other as far as that goes. The heat build up in the tire when run low will destroy even a new tire. have been know to blow out and delaminate even with closet attention to tire pressure.New rear tires on these bikes
IMHO one of the most important things we need to watch on these heavy bikes is the tire pressure.
Good luck.
I know of no new rear tires that have had blow outs.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Pics of my bike (if I get this correct). Probably not the best quality as I took them with my cell phone.

My apologies for this being my first post. Obviously some are suspicious and skepticle (sp?). Sorry for that. I think that may be the reason I don't usually participate in posting messages. I don't take criticism well. Trust me, this isn't about CT.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,685 Posts
I appologize for questioning you there

14K to repair where did you get your estimate? That looks about like mine did and it was $7200

·
Registered
524 Posts
Quite a story with, thanks to a highher power, a happy ending. Just think of the alternative. One or both of you could have been mowed down by a semi.

Don't beat yourself up too badly as you and the rest of us learned a clear lesson. I have not experienced a flat or a plugging but if I have no alternative but to plug I will now use alternative roads and drive at a snails pace til I can get to a dealer or have it towed if there is not a tire warehouse close by.

This Sunday might be a good time to give thanks to the One and only. I know I would. :>)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your predicament. I'm glad though that you and the wife weren't injured worse in your accident on the Wing. ATGATT really does work, even when everything else fails.

I'd check around, that bike doesn't have 14,000 dollars worth of damage. I'd say less than 10K.

Alternatively there is enough risidual value left in that bike for a good down payment on another Wing. You can sell it for salvage and get another one..... You will be paying payments again, but there is a way out of that situation. Those bikes in that condition will still bring 3-4K and you may decide to go that way.

Accidents can happen anytime, anywhere. Good Luck to you both! Ride Safely!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Flat Tire

Glad that you and the wife are still with us.

Question, after you plugged the tire, did you use an air compressor to air the tire back up?

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
775 Posts
Glad you and the wife are doing OK.

I know what you mean about hurting more the next day. I waited four days after my crash before going for a check up. 3 Broken ribs, broken bones in my left hand and right foot. But still thanked the big guy that was all that was wrong with me........ripped the chin bar completely off of my Nolan flip face, but not a scratch on my head.......not even a sore neck.

Bikes can be replaced........

·
Registered
116 Posts
Pics of my bike (if I get this correct). Probably not the best quality as I took them with my cell phone.
I get a lump in my throat when I see pictures of a Wing like that. Really glad to hear you're both okay, and hope you're back up and running soon.

The pictures of the broken Wing are countered quite nicely by the offers of replacement parts from forum members. It restores my faith in human nature when I see things like that. I'm proud to be part of such a bloody nice group of people!:p

·
Smoky
1,191 Posts
I know of no new rear tires that have had blow outs. More DARKSIDED BS scare tactics
lean,
Nowhere in my post did I say a word about a CT or the Darkside. You are the one that is bringing it up. I do not care what tire you or anyone else runs on any vehicle that they might own.
I just said that if you run a tire (any type vehicle) low on air it would destroy the tire because of heat build up and the sidewalls being wrinkled.
I'm sorry. When I said new rear tires, I didn't mean a tire with just a few miles on it. But to make you happy lean, I take it back. There has never been a report of a motorcycle tire blowing out or delaminating. It is just something that I made up! My bad!
I do know a person that belongs to a Chapter in Columbus, Ohio of our Star Touring and Riding club that had a Metzeler ME 880 lose a chunk of rubber the size of his fist with only 5,500 miles on it. He has a 2006 Yamaha Venture and had his wife on back.

lean,
Please. If you have a problem with this post I made, please PM me.
Thank you,
Frosty

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
The main thing is you and your wife survived in excellent style. Using a tire repair to return to civilization, or with the intent to use that tire until it hit the wear bars is a personal decision. Your mistake was not that you chose to use a plug to return to civilization; like Orange Crush said, your mistakes were to NOT fully inflate the tire and to drive at an excessive rate on not only a freshly inserted plug, but also on an already under inflated tire. The heat build-up is incredible and no air supported tire would long endure it. It would be interesting to examine the remains of the tire to inspect the condition of the plug - I would be surpirsed if the plug failed (if its a sticky-rope), even though it could not have been vulcanized yet. It is not pleasant to poke along at 25 or 30 mph, stopping every few miles to let it cool; but that is about all the pace you can handle if a tire fails suddenly.

Like you, I carry no collision insurance on my own vehicles. If I wreck them, I pay; or do without, so I feel for ya. Good luck on getting your parts at a decent rate.
Thanks for sharing your adventure and keep posting!

prs

·
Registered
202 Posts
My purpose for posting this is that hopefully someone will learn from my accident. This is my first post and I usually read here 2 or 3 times a week and really enjoy all the posts. I'm not very good at posting so don't normally do this. Hopefully, again, someone will gain something from my experience, as I am always looking for ways to be safe and get a lot from the posts where people discuss their accidents.
Thanks for taking the time to post. But, I must disagree with your statement about not being very good at posting. Your story was very well explained and written. Your careful writing and effort posting this WILL make a difference to someone one day - very likely saving them from a similar situation. I don't care if this is your first post. This very well could be the most valuable post you ever make.

My hat is off to you sir for your very caring contribution to this board.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Down

First glad you are OK, bike can be repaired.
So far I have not had a flat to content with but I do carry a plug kit and a air compressor if needed. I also use the Smarttire, it monitors air pressure and temperature.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I can't believe the end result of such an accident at that speed!! Ya'll are incredibly fortunate, apparently been living right. I wish I could help out with some parts but don't have any. I have run many miles on plugged tires without any problems. I think this type of accident speaks volumes for the Smartire system I have on my Wing. It not only warns you of low pressure but also of high temperatures. I can't help but feel it is the most valuable accessory I have on the Wing for both safety and peace of mind.
I always hesitate to read posts such as this because they tend to cause a lump in my throat, it could always be me. So very glad that the two of you came out virtually unhurt and will ride again. Good luck on your rebuild and keep living like you have been, it seems to be working!!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
First and most important, I am very glad to hear you and your wife are ok. The bike can always be replaced, but neither of you can be.

Second, welcome to the board - no more lurking for you now that you've 'come out of the closet' ;)

Finally, what a GREAT first post!!! :popcorn:

Again, I am very glad the two of you are ok!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I appologize for questioning you there

14K to repair where did you get your estimate? That looks about like mine did and it was $7200
...Mine had a LOT less damage for nearly $8k...this is a mess.

After seeing these pictures I am even MORE glad no one was seriously, seriously hurt.

41 - 60 of 126 Posts