GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess it was my turn to take a spill during the North Carolina shindig. This was my third trip to Asheville for WOTS and second for Hal's BBQ. This year's trip was more for the BBQ, socializing, and riding. Myself, Wingit, and jbatp92 left Birmingham Friday morning and met up with Robeth east of Rome, GA.
Scenic overlook in GA. 3 wings and jb's beautiful '07 UC

We rolled into the Red Roof Inn around 1700, checked in, and headed for the BBQ.

Hedo in pose and CJ cleaning, as usual.

More representatives from Alabama

After the BBQ, we returned to the RRI parking lot and enjoyed meeting, talking, and telling lies.

On Saturday morning, Robeth, Wingit, and GL1800CBR1000 (now to be called Wayne), and I went for a ride through Bat Cave, Chimney Rock, and on to the BRP. The roads were wet most of the morning, but the sun had come out and started drying the surface. At the bottom of a hill, there was a bridge that crossed the lower end of Lake Tahoma. The road turned to the right prior to a straight run across the bridge. As I set up for the turn onto the bridge, I lost traction on the front, and then the rear tire. It was a strange feeling, like the handlebars were not connected to the front wheel, I could move them with no response. The bike swept out going down on the right side, pinning my right leg to the road as we slid. I was in full denial, there was no way I had dropped my bike! Then I saw the bridge side wall coming in fast. I have had incidents in life before that seemed to move in slow-motion, but this was not one of them. The wall impact was hard, fast, and loud. My right foot took a direct, flat-footed impact on the wall and something on the bike hit me on the left eye brow area, shattering the left lense in my sunglasses. The bike came back down on my leg and we continued sliding on the bridge for another 2-3 car lengths. I tried kicking the bike off of my leg during the slide, but that didn't work so well. As the slide slowed, the tires caught and the bike appears to have high-sided to a stop on it's left side, off of my leg. I did a quick assessment and found everything in working order, except for my left eye. Wayne, who is a paramedic, and Robeth, who is a dentist, evaluated me as I watched for their reaction to my eye. I could tell it wasn't good from their looks. Wingit kept me reassured that my eye looked bad, but that it could have been much worse.I was transported to Mission Hospital and was well taken care of there. Wingit, Wayne, and Robeth took care of the accident site and bike removal before coming to check on me at the hospital. I was not cited for any violations by the Trooper investigating the accident. Back at the hospital, a CT of the head showed no fractures to facial bones, and X-rays of leg and ankle were negative. The left eye brow and eyelid were lacerated by my glasses and requires 3 internal stitches and approximately 35 external. Robeth arranged transportation back to the RRI through a friend of his son.

The eye is swollen shut and I have double vision due to the sweeling when I try to open it. The vision should improve as the swelling goes down. The lower right leg has minor scrapes/rash in 3 spots and is swollen from the abuse of the bike bouncing on it. My right foot is bruised and swollen from the impact with the wall. Other than that, I am great. :D

The bike has a broken front wheel, forks bent back, and oil dumped either from the filter or the block, or both. Should know about the bike later this week.

I was wearing an Arai full-face helmet, but I had the shield open for airflow. If the shield had been down, the eye injuries probably would be much less severe or prevented. My Joe Rocket mesh jacket has scrubs on the right elbow and shoulder pads. Padding on the jacket was right where it needed to be. Pants were First Gear Hypertex mesh and they were scrubbed through in spots from the slide with the bike pressing down on the leg. I had planned on wearing blue jeans under my riding pants, but saw how warm it was going to be and opted for very thin Columbia Fly-Fishing pants that dry quickly in case of rain. The jeans would have made for a great second layer and I doubt I would have any abrasions with the jeans. Foot wear was Wolverine Steel Toed boots that were scraped bad but not through over the right ankle bone. Gloves never touched the ground. I am thankful I had on great riding gear.

Sorry the story is so long. Please ride careful and wear protective clothing. I know I will learn to ride with my faceshield closed from now on. I was fortunate to be riding with some great guys who really took care of me when I needed it. And in a Forrest Gump kinda way, I'm sorry a had a wreck on your ride! :oops: I can't thank Jim, Bob, and Wayne enough for all that they did for me. They are another example of the wonderful people you meet on this board. Thank you for all the calls, e-mails, and PM's. I appreciate all the well wishes and prayers. I am going to be OK, and I hope our other members who have had accidents recently get well soon, also.

Here is a link to my photobucket album with pics Jim took with my camera and his. I did not post any of my lacerations, but if you want to see my beautiful mug, let me know! :wink:

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/dicepilot/wots06/?start=0

·
Registered
868 Posts
I know I've told you this on the phone, but again, if I can do anything let me know. The bike can be repaired, Glad to hear you're OK.

Terry

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Glad you didn't get hurt worse than you did. Bike doesn't look too bad.

W

·
0 Posts
dicepilot,

You are one lucky dude.
Those stone bridges do not move much when you down and sliding into them.

Take care of yourself and heal up to ride again.

Thanks for sharing, and we can all learn from this.

·
Registered
147 Posts
George, I'm glad to hear that you're alright. It certainly could have been much worse had you not been wearing your protective gear. It's great you had friends to help you out so well. Hind sight is 20/20 and we always evaluate what we could have done better to prevent things that happened. Bottom line is that you'll recover in time and live to ride another day. The bike can always be fixed.

How did you suppose you lost traction? Can you give us a little more detail about the area in which this happened?

Again, I'm glad your alright and pray for your fast recovery.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I'm glad you're ok, George...such as it is. I'm sorry you had to join the club. We don't really want new members. I'd offer to come over and cut your grass, but you know how it is.

Prayers for a quick return of your vision will be offered and thanksgiving that you are still with us.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
We crossed the same bridge probably within hours or maybe even minutes of your ride. Its a sobering and scary thought that a moment of pleasure can go wrong so fast. Hope you're mend is quick and full. Save the eye patch for entertaining our Captain Morgan enthusiasts at a future gathering.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Glad that you're ok.... rest up and heal.... Hopefully the you bike will be in full working order again soon....

oh and ya had out do me with the eye huh... ARRRGHHHHHH (ok bad pirate imitation....)

Feel better!

Melissa

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
Man, you caused quite a scene. :wink: It sounds like you're going to be okay and I'm happy for you. Stuff can happy in a split second.

Since when did Wayne go to a CBR and not a GSXR? LOL...

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
George, glad to hear the injuries are not life threating. It happens to the best of us sooner or later. You have our best, hoping for a quick recovery and repair or replace of the Wing. Hopefully we will see you again next year at Cats-Cade.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the comments. I'm a slow typist, so here is a little more info/thoughts.

It has been suggested that throttle reduction may have contributed to weight shift forward and a slick surface allowing the front to break loose. Or, cause even causing the rear to decel resulting in a skid and loss of traction.

I do believe if I had been on an airbag equipped bike, it would have provided a barrier between me and whatever hit my eye.

Who knows. Things happen, we learn and move on.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Red said:
Since when did Wayne go to a CBR and not a GSXR? LOL...
Whatever it was, i think he is changing it soon! lol He found out what a mouthful his handle is at the BBQ.

By the way, I believe today is his birthday!!

Happy B'day, Wayne!

·
Registered
405 Posts
George,

Heal quickly. Glad you are up and about. Sounds like Bob and crew took good care of you. I expect that from the group you were riding with.

Steve

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Sorry about your mishap. Best wishes for a quick recovery.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Thanks for the information. Glad to hear it wasn't any worse, and that you had great guys riding with you.

Now, how about the girl in your aviator...don't tell me she got scratched up too, poor little darling.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
George,

You seem in good spirits and your attitude is fine. Like I told you on the phone this morning, we are here to help in any way that we can.

Get better, get flying, make money. You have a wedding in April!...LOL

Bulldog & Meesh

·
Registered
164 Posts
George
Sorry to hear about this. Good luck in your recovery. The bike can be replaced or fixed.

I was hoping to meet you at Wingstock this weekend. I'll bring some Captain Morgan Rum if you drive your car over and wear your patch.

Rick

·
Registered
922 Posts
I try to learn from others,that being said glad your ok.

Question 1? How old are the E-3's, that front looks like mine....Worn.

Question 2. Do you think that ABS may have prevented this from happening?

Thanks for the post, I too will now ride with the visor down all the time.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Damn... sorry to hear about this George. Guess this means I won't be hearing you on the frequency, riding the BOUNO anytime soon.

Glad to hear you're ok... and especially gald to hear the eye damage was only with the skin, and not worse. I'm sure that passing a flight physical again was weighing heavy on your mind while you were lying there & didn't know.

I don't mean to hijack the thread... but I do have one quesiton for you, and it's one I've been thinking about all summer reading the posts of those who have went down due to the bike losing traction:

What tires were your running?

In the picture, the tread pattern looks like E3's.

Might be interesting to begin a new thread on that to see if there's a trend.

Again... just thinking out loud, and glad that you're ok.

Tom

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I am so glad that:

1. You had the group with you that you did.
2. The wall on the bridge was not just a guard rail.
3. You had all your gear on.

On the bright side, at least you have part of what you need for a Halloween costume. Heal up quick!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts