GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My adventure checking the coolant level today has been "a wake-up call".

I've always performed the simple, routine maintenance myself (i.e. spark plugs, fluid changes and brake pads). It may be time for me to put away the wrenches.

On the front of the coolant reservoir tank, there is a "high" and "low" mark. On my 2009 Goldwing, I remember that I would put the bike on the center stand, look underneath at the reservoir tank and check the level. I even had taken a magic marker to mark the high and low mark, so it would be easy to see. I tried that today on my 2016 and could not see how that would be possible to do. I looked on the right side, then looked on the left. Dang! Don't see how that's possible. Now I'm starting to think that I imagined the whole thing.

Okay. I will just check it according to the manual. Started the engine to warm it up while I removed the side cover. First problem that I see is that I have installed passenger footboard risers. These will have to come off before I can remove the side panel. (Some of you already see the problem.) After removing the passenger footboard, I suddenly realize that I'm removing the wrong panel. This panel covers the battery.

To wrap this up, I finally removed the correct side panel and checked coolant level. It was low and I added coolant.

I've always done simple routine maintenance because I was afraid that through carelessness or incompetence, the Honda tech was not to be trusted. I still feel that way, but perhaps he should be trusted more than ME.

·
Registered
470 Posts
We all have "senior" moments from time to time. Last time I checked the oil on my 2018 I removed the fill plug instead of the dip stick and panicked for a few seconds thinking that the dipstick portion had fallen off into the engine. After a few seconds I realized I was on the wrong side of the bike.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Take your time and think slowly, do not get in a hurry and I am sure you will do a better job than the "kid working summer job" at Honda shop will do. Only two people I know of that I would let work on my bike other than myself is Fred H. and Goldwing Greg.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I added 1/2 inch spacers to the passenger footrest risers. One can also just stack washers to do this. By spacing the risers outwards, the side covers can be removed easily without messing with the foot rests.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
851 Posts
Geez I thought that kind of crap only happened to me. I think everyone on the board could write a book on FUBR’s. :eek:4:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts