GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's plenty of accidents writtin here while on our Goldwings on Mr. Hal's web-site, and for the most part,
I'm glad to hear most of you lived to write about and share them here so we all can learn from your mishaps.
I truely enjoy your sharing them here and knowing they make us better riders even though your the one's suffering the pain and dollar lost to your Goldwings.

Being rather new to riding, (going on 5 years), there was only one time were I could of joined the unfortunate,
and there isn't a riding day goes by that I'll always remember.

I was at a country two lane intersection stopped at a stop sign.
There was a approching pickup truck on my right with his left directional blinking to turn in front of me.
There's was plenty of time for me to cross, figuring he'll slow down to make his turn even though he didn't have to stop, so let out the clucth.
My 1800 stalled so I restarted, and moved forward as the pickup cruised straight through the intersection with his directional stuck on.
Always wondered were I'd be today if I pulled out, so I never trust someone's signals

Anyhow..............Are there any "Close Calls" that everytime you mount your Goldwing for a ride, that you'll never forget?

Cheers!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
Are there any "Close Calls" that everytime you mount your Goldwing for a ride, that you'll never forget?
I try to keep an extra close eye on cages displaying out-of-state plates as I'm coming up to pass them - especially in town. Half the time they've no idea where they're really going and can make unexpected (i.e. stupid) moves at the last second. Best to get by these folks quickly.

Good subject.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I had a cager in the left lane , blinker active for a left turn, they decided not to turn and proceded in my lane. About a 1 inch clearnce as I pass by! OOPS!

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I just hope that all riders that insist on going for rides in the icy weather are extra careful. It so easy to find some ice on these roads. It scares me even to hear about you guys getting out in this stuff just for a pleasure ride.

You'all stay home until it warms up enough to melt all of this ice.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Jchefboyardee said:
I had a cager in the left lane , blinker active for a left turn, they decided not to turn and proceded in my lane. About a 1 inch clearnce as I pass by! OOPS!
Hate to break the news to you but if the car was still in the lane, it was not "YOURS". Heck, even if they move out of the lane you would be wise not to think of it as "YOUR LANE"! :)

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
I was recently riding with four guys. I was riding drag. We we were riding in staggered formation going from a country farm road to a busy highway. Yes we usually accellerate to 75-80 as fast as the bike as capable getting of getting on the road. The group got split up due to the traffic and I had just one rider in front of me(to make matters worse he was a first timer with our group)When you ride with some of the same people you get to know their habits ect.. Anyway I was riding fairly close to the new rider as we both were accellerating to catch up with the group he came upon a SUV fast(later found out the SUV stopped suddenly and had no working brake lights) Believe me this happened FAST. I slammed on my brakes, the rider in front slammed his on,(the traffic was too heavy to move over left)and the right was a steep embancment. I remember thinking oh **** I hope he doesn't move over right into me. He didn't and I thanked him. We both stopped with a inch to spare.

Lesson learned 1-be extra careful with new riders,2-an SUV or a car can stop at anytime.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
laen said:
I remember thinking oh flip I hope he doesn't move over right into me. He didn't and I thanked him.
He was probably thinking the same thing. Did he thank you?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
'Got rear-ended once in freeway stop-and-go. I let off the brake and let the clutch out a bit just to roll forward and break the boardom. 'Didn't think anything of it. About then - thump! The lady felt bad - she was actually crying - and I was kind of pissed. She hit my right side with the left corner of her bumper like she was shifting lanes. Later, I felt bad. I indicated I was going forward. She should have looked more but was probably looking over her shoulder to make the lane change. Since then, I try to be more precise in stop-and-go traffic. If I start to go, I go; otherwise I sit still.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
kikker,
Not sure where you are from, but the issue has nothing to do with weather that I can see. I may have missed something.

Wi_Winger......glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Two summers ago my wife and I were going from one exit to another on an Interstate. We very seldom ride on Interstates unless we have to. Any way we got on the highway and only had to go about ten miles to our exit.

I saw a tractor trailer coming in the passing lane a little ways behind me. I held my speed 65mph and moved to the right side of the right lane. The truck passed us and as he did I looked over at the flat bed trailer he was pulling, it was full of all kinds of metal scrap.

Right after he passed us a piece of rail road track about twenty feet long fell off of the trailer and hit the road in front of us. The track hit the road and slid towards the center concrete barrier, hit the barrier and slid it the right lane just in front of us. I moved to the passing lane and just missed the rail road track. I think that was as close to getting hurt on a bike as I have ever been

Pap

·
Registered
33 Posts
side streets

this summer I was out on a city street three lanes going west in the outside lane. Saw a guy coming from a side street at the entrance to my street stopped and looking right at me. As I approached the side street he was sitting on and of course I had the right of way, he pulled right in front of me.
I locked up the brakes and guided the bike into the spot he had just vacated.
What makes this interesting to me other than the cussing I was doing, was this exact situation is talked about in motorcycle safety classes, one of which I had just taken.
1. Don't ever trust they see you.
2. Always try to have an exit point that is safe.
As to stuff falling off a truck, this same summer on the interstate a semi with a flat bed passed me doing over 80. One of his states flew off the trailer, he had to of known it, and came vaulting to me in my car. I thought for sure I was going to get spearchucked through the windshield, but managed to take a glancing blow. He neve stopped or slowed down

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Twice in the past year or so I've seen cars signaling for a right hand turn, actually START to make the turn, then swerve back and continue straight. The first time I was the second bike in a small group. We stopped at the stop sign and waited for traffic to clear. The car was approaching, turn signal on, at a reasonable speed for making the turn, and started to turn. The lead bike (a trike, actually) pulled out into the street, the rider looking down the street (where he was going) and away from the turning car just as the car straightened out and pulled in behind him. It wasn't real close - I think the cager saw the trike and was making whatever slight adjustment that may have been needed.

The second time was an identical situation, except that I was the lead bike. A middle-aged woman in an older LARGE Caddy (yeah, I know...) was coming from my left signaling and slowing for a right hand turn. She started to make the turn, but something told me to wait, and, sure enough, she swung back straight and laughed at me when I honked as she stumbled (yes, a car CAN stumble!) by in front of me.

So, when I'm waiting at a stop sign, whether I'm riding or driving, I grumble under my breath when someone turns without signaling, but, then, just as fast, I think "So what? I wouldn't believe their signal, anyway!" :?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts