GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for your experience to help me. Opinions welcome!

I recently drove my new to me 01 Goldwing from NC to MN. Spend some time there and rode back. I found a few kinks to work out.

I’m 5’9” 190 and found two areas got particularly sore. My tailbone and the muscles just inside my shoulder blade. Oh and my nads kept feeling squished.

1. Stock seat with “1 inch” Walmart seatpad (helped a little). I feel like I need to move back a ways as I hate my knees bent forward and used highway pegs a lot. Plus I would like my feet to touch the ground behind my floorboards. Any suggestions on after market seats?

2. My handlebars are adjusted to the narrower of the two positions but moving me back I would really need them to come back. Are helibars my best option to do that?

I’m all, the bike rode like a champ and I’m ready to start making it mine but I’m not rich. What has been your experience?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Helibars!! Best money I’ve spent! But not cheap.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I'm not rich either, but a rider needs to be comfortable. I'm also 5'9 and 185 lbs (last time I checked :frown2:). I broke open the piggy bank and invested in the Helibars. They have greatly reduced the shoulder pain I was having when riding. LDcomfort shorts may help ease the pressure on the nads, but some of us have nads that are just too big. I'm okay with the stock seat.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Helibars :thumbup:

·
Registered
927 Posts
My vote’s for risers....1st REG risers, 2nd Rocky’s risers, 3rd MBL risers. You could buy a lot of gas for the difference in price!! It comes down to where you think your money is best spent. Anyone local with risers or helibars you could try, before making the investment?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My vote’s for risers....1st REG risers, 2nd Rocky’s risers, 3rd MBL risers. You could buy a lot of gas for the difference in price!! It comes down to where you think your money is best spent. Anyone local with risers or helibars you could try, before making the investment?
How far back can risers bring the bars? That would be my first choice and just fork out for the seat. I'm just thinking I could come back at least an inch now and probably a couple more with a seat that backs me up a bit.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I too have the Heli bars, but you may want to try the less expensive risers first, it may be enough for you. I would search for those that will move back as much as possible. I’m 5’10” (5’9”-aging) and 180ish. I can’t think of wanting to be back further in the seat than I am with stock. There are a lot of back rests used by wing riders. Maybe for you? I use a sheepskin on long rides to aid with comfort. Floor boards make reaching the ground a challenge, I don’t know what can help with that. But once you are underway you should be able to move your feet around on them more than pegs.

·
motorcycle cowboy
935 Posts
Reactions: blackstrom0

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm about your height and close to your weight. A set of MBL risers made a big difference for me, I don't get the shoulder knot.
The MBLs are the only ones I have any experience with so no idea about Rocky's (though I believe they have more adjustment than the MBLSs?) or the REGs tourist mentioned. Check them all out - a set of risers is about 10% the price of Helibars (which I have no doubt are worth the money) but for the price difference I'd at least give them a shot first.

I had my seat re-worked by Rich's Custom Seats in WA, and it helped a lot. I also have the Utopia backrest and love it. Rich cut it down to about half the original size and it's great.

I still wasn't 100% comfortable with the reworked Rich seat... I noticed a lot of the IBA guys run Beadrider seat covers and decided to give one a shot. A couple of weeks back I did a 6 day backroads tour in Oregon and it made a much bigger difference than I had expected. I'm officially a fan.

I think the final piece of the comfort puzzle for me is going to be a set of the Rivco highway pegs. My knees are the only thing that bothers me on a long day.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Helibars and Moto-Skiveez.

Because of Moto-Skiveez I canceled my Russel build date.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Helibars and Moto-Skiveez.

Because of Moto-Skiveez I canceled my Russel build date.
Moto-Skiveez - did you get an "adventure" model or a "cruiser" model? Apparently, they are built differently based on the ride you have...

Are they as comfortable as they claim to be?...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
I like the cruiser style best. They aren't a cure all for a really bad seat, but they can improve a marginal seat enough where you don't have any pain. The Goldwing seat is already big dish seat. Mine just needed a little help. I have a Versys with a Russell sport seat and they help it feel more like a Day-Long.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I put MBL wide risers on my '06 and they are working out really well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts