GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was negotiating a price for painting my entire bike my first thought was I would take it apart myself and bring all the parts to the body shop myself. I have done this with all my other bikes and figured it wouldn't be that bad with this one. I know when I do this that it's done right with no broken tabs and nothing is rushed to get done. My Honda dealer service rep strongly advised me to let them take it apart and bring the parts over themselves. I figured he was trying to squeeze money out of me so I studied my service manual and figured he might be right, they're more parts to this beast than meets the eye. I'm glad I let him do it! They took 82, yes 82 pieces off my bike to get painted! I wanted every single piece to match so they got them all. Overall the price was incredibly fair for the dis-assembly and reassembly and it will be nice to drop off a complete bike and pick one back up. They even drove 35 miles each way to pick up the bike for free since there was snow on the ground. I went yesterday to drop off my K&N filter and Ultimate King seat for them to install and they told me since the bike was broken down they would do this for free, that's great service right there! I know it won't take them long to install either of these items since the bike is broken down and they would have to put a seat on anyway but they still could have charged me for this. Here is what I saw yesterday.....my bike is 6 months old with 3,000 miles on it.......:thumbup:

I should have it back next week....I can't wait!!!

·
Banned
792 Posts
Be sure to put up the finished pictures. That seems like a good dealer to have around as they appear to have some good customer service. :thumbup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Damn that's one nekked bike. I know they got a lot of pcs but wouldn't have guessed 82. I wasn't real worried about paint but just noticed something dropped (maybe like sap)on bike and it etched the paint after I washed bike. This kinda sucks.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
If it needs any maintance air filter,Rear shock,front forks, fluid changes just to name a few would be a good time to have it done.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it needs any maintance air filter,Rear shock,front forks, fluid changes just to name a few would be a good time to have it done.
Bike has 3,000 miles on it so it should be good! Lol. That's why I'm having them drop the K&N filter in now for me.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Bike has 3,000 miles on it so it should be good! Lol. That's why I'm having them drop the K&N filter in now for me.

Ok i guess i should have read the whole thread.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What color was it originally and what color are you having it painted?
It was Gloss black originally. When I got it home from the dealer the paint was swirled and had fine scratches all over it. I originally thought it was the dealer but then started digging in to the paint issue and found the stock paint is pathetic on the new models with no clear coat what so ever. I couldn't even to stand to look at my brand new bike in the sun so paint it is. I am going all flat black with a matte clear coat, I am even having all the parts that were already flat black painted so everything is a perfect match. I have always loved the old school flat black look and this should resemble a Stealth bomber when it's all said and done. What's not getting painted is getting powder coated. This is the exact opposite of my last bike (M109R), I had everything on that bike chromed except the tires!

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
It was Gloss black originally. When I got it home from the dealer the paint was swirled and had fine scratches all over it. I originally thought it was the dealer but then started digging in to the paint issue and found the stock paint is pathetic on the new models with no clear coat what so ever. I couldn't even to stand to look at my brand new bike in the sun so paint it is. I am going all flat black with a matte clear coat, I am even having all the parts that were already flat black painted so everything is a perfect match. I have always loved the old school flat black look and this should resemble a Stealth bomber when it's all said and done. What's not getting painted is getting powder coated. This is the exact opposite of my last bike (M109R), I had everything on that bike chromed except the tires!
Can't wait to see pix!

I think forum member Wesexcellence has a beautiful bike. I'm sure yours will be too.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?349570-No-more-quot-Junk-in-the-Trunk-quot

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, his bike looks great! I am going for something similar for sure......I will add a few of my own touches , stay tuned!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Only bad thing about matte paint is if you get a scratch or mark in it, you can't polish it out. Your stuck with it until you re-paint.
that being said, I look forward to seeing the finished project.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is your dealer Twigg Cycles in Hagerstown by any chance? Your experience mirrors the sort I've enjoyed there over the years. A great place, IMO. But if not Twigg, please say who/where ... always good to know where the reliable shops are. Thanks.
No not Twigg but they are great! I bought my last bike from them and almost bought my F6B from them but I got a better price. When my bike is all done to my satisfaction and the price is as quoted I will definitely post who the dealer is. It would be putting the cart before the horse at this point.
Only bad thing about matte paint is if you get a scratch or mark in it, you can't polish it out. Your stuck with it until you re-paint.
that being said, I look forward to seeing the finished project.
I'm having 3 coats of clear put on to hopefully prevent that.
I'm curious to know what the total cost was.
When the invoice is paid I will post that as well. I have been negotiating for several months for a better price from these guys and they finally came down a good bit. The original quote in June was much higher than I am actually paying now. Once I know they honor the price I will let you know the total cost.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
No not Twigg but they are great! I bought my last bike from them and almost bought my F6B from them but I got a better price. When my bike is all done to my satisfaction and the price is as quoted I will definitely post who the dealer is. It would be putting the cart before the horse at this point.

I'm having 3 coats of clear put on to hopefully prevent that.

When the invoice is paid I will post that as well. I have been negotiating for several months for a better price from these guys and they finally came down a good bit. The original quote in June was much higher than I am actually paying now. Once I know they honor the price I will let you know the total cost.

Did you ever get a price from an automotive shop? Of course you would need to take the parts off. I don't think painting a bike is much different from painting a car and I would assume the car place would be less expensive.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you ever get a price from an automotive shop? Of course you would need to take the parts off. I don't think painting a bike is much different from painting a car and I would assume the car place would be less expensive.
Except there are 82 pieces being painted and I don't know this bike very well yet. Part of my cost is having the bike taken apart and put back together. Read the first post...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm sure your bike is going to look great when done. Looking forward to seeing pictures.

We just purchased a new F6B also.
Honda of Russelville (we purchased it from them) is taking it all apart and having everything painted Kandy Apple Red from House of Colors.
After it is painted then Cleared, all the parts are being sent to Mike Lamborne of MountainMan Art for Graphics and Air Brush on all panels. We will Clear everything again then send everything back to Honda of Russelvile for re-assembly. Rick is going to Fly out and ride it back the first weekend of May. Hopefully it will turn out as we vision it.

If anyone wants a new Wing or F6B painted a custom color try Honda of Russelville. They have been extremely nice to work with and the price was very reasonable.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Let me say this right from the get-go. I am not knocking your decision to re-paint your bike to your liking, but I have been following lots of threads about the piss poor quality of the paint on the F6B's. It's really sad that a person spends $20,000 on a motorcycle and then has numerous quality issues on the paint that requires a re-paint or warranty from Honda.
So many on this board rag about a Harley but you just can't compare the fit & finish of the two. The Harley wins hands down. Honda should be ashamed of themselves and a potential buyer should expect more for the price paid.
Flame suit on.

I am looking forward to seeing the completed pics which I'm sure will be great. :thumbup:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Let me say this right from the get-go. I am not knocking your decision to re-paint your bike to your liking, but I have been following lots of threads about the piss poor quality of the paint on the F6B's. It's really sad that a person spends $20,000 on a motorcycle and then has numerous quality issues on the paint that requires a re-paint or warranty from Honda.
So many on this board rag about a Harley but you just can't compare the fit & finish of the two. The Harley wins hands down. Honda should be ashamed of themselves and a potential buyer should expect more for the price paid.
Flame suit on.

OH BOY you did it now! Have to say that I agree with you, however I have no experience and have not heard anything about HD paints since the EPA is forcing everyone to apply water based paint. My stealer said the poor quality paint is due to EPA and they can not do anything about it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts