GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While going thru town 15 mph I hear a siren.I approach an intersection with the light green.I looked ,to the left, then comming from my right was a fire truck .

It scared me so I stopped.The light was still green.The semi driver didn't see me stopped.At the last second he servered but still hit my rear end .

The impacted flipped me off the bike on my back and I hit hard on my head .In 10 seconds I was on my feet and I have no injurys . I had my helmet on.

I made a stupid mistake . Just wanted to share it.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Well, you lived through getting creamed by a semi - that ought to count for something. Glad you weren't hurt (apparently you're not). Moral to this story? Always check your rear view mirror in emergency situations and find a way to get the heck out of the way!

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
That is one of the reason why I never ride through highly congested areas with my feet on the highway pegs as I've seen so many other do. It never give you time to react quickly enough in situations like that.

I spend almost as much time looking at what's going on behind me as I do in front of me, especially at intersections.

Paul, you were very lucky. I'm glad you weren't hurt.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Paul,

Glad to hear you're all right!

Tell your wife you've been very, very good this year and that you'd like Santa to bring you a new helmet for Christmas. And I mean "very, very good" in the sense that you were wearing your helmet when Bobo the Situationally Challenged truck driver knocked you off your sled!

What damage was done to the bike?

Ride safe and...
Ride often!

-=Margarita Will=-

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
You didn't do anything stupid!!!!!!!!!...here in Calif..you are supposed to stop ( and pull over if you can) Whenever an emergency vehicle is coming...You did everything right by my book!!!>That idiot (professional truck driver) was in the wrong!! He wasn't paying attention to the road......Was he on a cell phone ? Why didn't he hear the siren ??? MOST of all WHY didin't he see you !!!!!!!!..I am glad to hear you survived !!!...THANK YOU HELMET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have to agree with goldwinghen3 It sounds like you did what you were supposed to do but the truck driver owes you a new Goldwing. Or at the very least a helmet, and any scratched tupperware. Glad your okay.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Blame the truck driver.

Typical knee jerk responses by mostly uneducated motoring public.

Bike stopped on a green light. Yea he heard and saw the emergency vehicle, but maybe the truck driver did not. Maybe biker should have checked rear view and made an different move when he saw the big truck.

Maybe the truck was following to close, who knows. This trucker missed completey squashing this biker, so he helped save this person more serious injury or death.

My point is how when there is an accident involving a class 8 truck, the majority of the public immediatly place blame on the truck driver. I have seen and heard of truck drivers placing themselves in dangers way by running off the road, using extreme braking manuavers to avoid hitting a car that has pulled some bone headed stunt. Sometimes the driver is injured or killed and the other person does not even know what he has caused and usually does not even stop.

Yes, I am a driver, an owner operator in fact. Are we perfect? Not by a long shot. I am approaching 30 years and 3 million miles of accident free driving, an old timer for sure. Just remember these company's are churning out drivers after a few weeks of schooling, these are people who have not driven anything bigger than the family sedan. They are given the keys to an 80k tractor trailer and told to hit the road. I don't believe some of them know the amount of destruction that truck will do within seconds of a bad decision or lapse of judgment.

Lastly, just remember that there are bad and or reckless drivers driving trucks,cars and yes even motorcycles. Don't be quick to judge before you get all the facts.

Sorry about getting on the soap box, but it's been a long day :D
And remember, about the only thing not brought by a truck is that little bundle of joy you call son, daughter .

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The driver told me he was lookin in his mirrors and was just tring to find where the emergency vehicle was.He was going to get out of its way like i was.

He said he didnt see me stopped.He said he was sorry and glad I wasnt hurt. I said,you wouldnt except me to stop while the light was green.ha ha
no problem it just plastic .

He didnt get a ticket.Just unsured clear distance .The bike is in the shop for an estament. Im going to get a new helmet .

I wasnt lookin in the mirror for traffic at all..Not good .I guess Im complacent. I need to be more alert . I need to stay in the country . :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.