GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All:

I'd appreciate helpful suggestions on how to resolve this issue:

Pretty much stock 2001 GL1800A purchased end of June 2006 in St. Louis, with original Bridgestone tires. 3850 miles. Drove it home, kept the tire pressures at 41/41. Now, at 5800 miles the rear has developed a bulge along the right edge of the flat spot:

Bulge is about 5-6 inches long and 1/4 to 3/8" tall when cold, got much larger after a short run on the freeway (that's when I found it).

Took it to the local dealer, who I like and many here in SW Colorado do, too. I wasn't abusive or demanding to the local guys, just asking for help!

Answer: sorry. Honda dealer tech line says "been too long regardless of miles". Bridgestone says no warrantee as I'm not the original bike owner or purchaser of this tire (if it was a replacement). A tire with half its life used up (the dealer's term) and obviously some kind of manufacturing defect should not be solely left upon me to fix.

I'd like helpful productive advice on how to get a hold of someone farther up the chain that can help me, I'll start with Honda. Something like "you need to talk to your Honda XXX and you can find him by doing YYY or ZZZ." Or anything else that gets me towards my goal.

I don't expect Honda or Bridgestone to completely replace it & pay for the labor, just something more than "you're SOL". I'd be happy with meeting them halfway.

I have searched the archives and only seen a Honda rep in Tennesee's contact info. And yep, I'm not riding it anywhere until it's fixed. (And yep^2, I snagged a replacement tire to prepare for the worst, knowing the problems people are having with getting tires nowadays.)

Thanks in advance

·
Chard Member
12,960 Posts
I wouldn't guarantee it's a manufacturing defect! A person that rides less than 4,000 miles in 5 years probably could care less about air pressure in thier tires. :(

Who says the tire wasn't run low and the rider of that bike hit a pothole or even a simple gutter at a drive and damaged the tire! If you run a tire low and strike a object, you can break a cord in a tire.

I think the rep at Bridgestone was Kevin, but the last I heard they want all claims to go through suppliers/dealers.

Six years old, you need fresh rubber anyway. :wink: Just curious, what's the date code on the tire? It's the 4 numbers imbedded into the rubber after the DOT numbers.

Good Luck.......

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
lester said:
All:

I'd appreciate helpful suggestions on how to resolve this issue:

Pretty much stock 2001 GL1800A purchased end of June 2006 in St. Louis, with original Bridgestone tires. 3850 miles. Drove it home, kept the tire pressures at 41/41. Now, at 5800 miles the rear has developed a bulge along the right edge of the flat spot:

Bulge is about 5-6 inches long and 1/4 to 3/8" tall when cold, got much larger after a short run on the freeway (that's when I found it).

Took it to the local dealer, who I like and many here in SW Colorado do, too. I wasn't abusive or demanding to the local guys, just asking for help!

Answer: sorry. Honda dealer tech line says "been too long regardless of miles". Bridgestone says no warrantee as I'm not the original bike owner or purchaser of this tire (if it was a replacement). A tire with half its life used up (the dealer's term) and obviously some kind of manufacturing defect should not be solely left upon me to fix.

I'd like helpful productive advice on how to get a hold of someone farther up the chain that can help me, I'll start with Honda. Something like "you need to talk to your Honda XXX and you can find him by doing YYY or ZZZ." Or anything else that gets me towards my goal.

I don't expect Honda or Bridgestone to completely replace it & pay for the labor, just something more than "you're SOL". I'd be happy with meeting them halfway.

I have searched the archives and only seen a Honda rep in Tennesee's contact info. And yep, I'm not riding it anywhere until it's fixed. (And yep^2, I snagged a replacement tire to prepare for the worst, knowing the problems people are having with getting tires nowadays.)

Thanks in advance
Not trying to be a nit picker here but…
Get yourself a little piece of mind with a new tire. $180 (plus install) might save your life instead of bickering about a bump on your rear tire. Listen to what Red is telling you, it is a very probable scenario.

Van

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Just looking at the photo I have to wonder why the contact patch is so wide and so little tread remaining for having only 5800 miles.

While in no way do I claim to be a tire expert, that photo seems to suggest the tire was (a) not properly inflated and/or (b) was significantly overloaded for most of its life.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I found the warranty on http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/add ... ation.aspx

Here it is:

Who Gets The Warranty?
You are covered under the terms of this warranty: (a) if you are the authorized agent of the first retail purchaser of any new Bridgestone or Firestone motorcycle tire bearing the Bridgestone or Firestone name and Department of Transportation (DOT) assigned identification number, and (b) the tire is of a size equivalent to or greater than that specified for use by the vehicle manufacturer’s or Bridgestone / Firestone’s recommendations.

What Is Warranted And For How Long

If, before wearing down to 1/32nds of an inch of original tread depth (i.e., worn down to the top of the built-in indicators in the tread grooves), or 4 years from the date of manufacture (referenced by the last three or four digits of the DOT number), whichever occurs first, an examination by Bridgestone/Firestone, Inc. shows that any tire covered by this warranty has become unusable for any reason within the manufacturer’s control, such tire will be replaced with an equivalent new Bridgestone or Firestone tire on the basis set forth below. No tire will be considered for warranty adjustment for any reason after 7 years from the date of manufacture.
No-Charge Replacement

If, within the first 50% of original usable tread depth wear or 12 month from date of purchase (proof of purchase required), whichever occurs first a Bridgestone or Firestone motorcycle tire becomes unusable for conditions within the manufacturer’s control, the tire will be replaced free of charge. The cost of mounting, balancing, and other service charges, disposal fees, or applicable taxes are payable by the consumer.
Pro-Rated Replacement

If a Bridgestone or Firestone motorcycle tire is worn beyond the first 50 percent of original usable tread wear and becomes unusable for conditions within the manufacturer’s control, the tire will, be replaced with an equivalent new Bridgestone or Firestone tire on a pro-rated basis. You will be charged for the tread wear pro-rated by multiplying the current dealer-selling price of the tire (in effect at the time for adjustment) by 50%. The cost of mounting, balancing, and other service charges, disposal fees, or applicable taxes are payable by the consumer. A CASH REFUND WILL NOT BE OFFERED IN REPLACEMENT.

What This Limited Warranty Does Not Cover
A. Tires with less than 1/32nd of an inch of original tread depth remianing
B. Tires damaged due to road hazards, curbing or spinning
Including, without limitation, puncture, cut, impact break, bruise, bulge, snag, stone drill, etc.
C. Tires damaged by shipping company
D. Continued use while run flat or severely under inflated
E. Improper use or operation
Including, without limitation, improper inflation pressure, overload, use of an improper rim, vehicle misalignment, wheel unbalance, improper brake adjustment, worn suspension components, improper mounting or dismounting, misuse, misapplication, negligence, tire spinning, chemical contamination, fire or other externally generated heat, water or other material entrapped inside the tire during mounting, tire alteration, racing or use in competition.
F. Improper repair
G. Ride disturbance claims submitted after the first 1/32nd of original tread wear.
H. Conditions caused by aging, improper storage or weather after 4 years from date of manufacture
I. Claims for irregular wear
J. Costs of mounting, balancing, wheel removal and installation (unless otherwise specified) following prorated replacement or repairs of tires or tubes, and applicable federal, state and local taxes
K. Tires that have been re-treaded, re-grooved or modified in any fashion
L. Tires Used Outside of the U.S.A. or Canada
M. Adjustments on original equipment tires on new motorcycles. (See separate warranty material that came with motorcycle)
N. No tire will be considered for warranty adjustment for any reason after 7 years from the date of manufacture

Owner’s Responsibilities
A. Owner is responsible for maintaining tire pressure as recommended by motorcycle manufacturer
B. Owner must present to any authorized Bridgestone / Firestone motorcycle tire dealer or agent in the U.S.A. the tire for which you are seeking warranty consideration and proof of purchase if tire is a replacement tire. (Consult your telephone directory for the nearest authorized Bridgestone/ Firestone motorcycle tire dealer).
C. Owner must pay all applicable dealer service charges and taxes.
D. Owner must complete and sign the customer section of the Bridgestone/Firestone Limited Warranty Form.
E. Your motorcycle on which the tire was equipped must also be available for inspection by authorized dealer.
F. Tires accepted for warranty compensation become the property of Bridgestone/Firestone North American Tire, LLC.

Conditions And Exclusions

I. To the extent permitted by law, Bridgestone/Firestone North American Tire, LLC disclaims liability for any consequential damages, loss of time or loss of vehicle use or inconvenience.
II. No Bridgestone/Firestone North American Tire, LLC employee, dealer or representative has the authority to make any representation, promise or agreement which in any way varies from the terms and conditions of this warranty.
III. In accordance with Federal Law, this warranty has been designated as a “Limited Warranty.” Nothing in this warranty is intended to be a representation that tire failures cannot occur. This warranty is given by Bridgestone/Firestone North American Tire, LLC

Legal Rights

This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state and in Canada from province to province.
Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied, warranty lasts or the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above such limitations or exclusions may not apply to you.

Original Equipment Tire Limited Warranties

Bridgestone and Firestone tires are supplied as original equipment on many motorcycles. The original equipment warranty pertaining to such tires may be found in documents supplied with the motorcycles. Bridgestone / Firestone motorcycle dealers should honor the specific terms of those warranties, using normal Bridgestone / Firestone procedures.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
DT said:
Just looking at the photo I have to wonder why the contact patch is so wide and so little tread remaining for having only 5800 miles.

While in no way do I claim to be a tire expert, that photo seems to suggest the tire was (a) not properly inflated and/or (b) was significantly overloaded for most of its life.
Or selection "C": hole shots, burnouts or wheelies

Van

·
Registered
137 Posts
Short & simple... that tire has delaminated - change it.

It's too old to expect any reasonable warranty coverage, the mileage notwithstanding.

BTW, mine did exactly the same thing (same year GL1800, same tire) only at 9K miles... and the tread looked very similar. If that's supposed to be the original (OEM) tire... I'd venture it was run underinflated for some period of time.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I would NOT drive on old tires no matter how they looked.. If they are wore and have bubbles, get em off the bike, go buy a tire and put it on, Geesh !!

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Get the tire changed before you get hurt and forget about any warranty - a simple pot hole could of done this damage

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
And a simple pot hole could blow it out and hurt you !! 8)

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Buy a new set of Stones and get them on that bike right away. It's not worth the small cost of a new set to worry about what is wrong with the current set (and I wouldn't ride on them anyway).

DaleC

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
looks like a busted cord/belt to me 8) Definately needs to be replaced. 8)

·
Registered
696 Posts
tire

like they said above dont take a chance put new tire on now life is to short to ride on tires like that

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry folks, I was looking for help in contacting Honda and/or Bridgestone to help defray the cost of a new tire. Thanks to MotorCycleBoy with the Bridgestone warrantee, looks like I'll get nowhere with them. And thanks to Red & DT for pointing out probably the biggest hole in my assumption that it's a manufacturing defect.

I already stated that I wasn't riding the wing until the tire was replaced. I have other perfectly good bikes to ride until that happens, so I'm in no hurry.

If anyone has suggestions on who at Honda I can contact, please post here or PM me if you feel it's necessary.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
lester,

If you have a motorcycle tire shop around you, I would contact them. They deal with motorcycle tires all day and they may be the ones to help you.

Yes, tires only last a certain time. I had tires on a mini van start to severely weather check. That happens in Southern California. Sometimes they get too old before they wear out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Tire

Lester you goty a deal on the bike, now don't be such a tight ass, spend the money and get some new rubber.

Geez why are wingers sooooooooooooo stu...ed when it comes to things like this.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
the same thing happened to my 9 month old 6000 mile e3, the belt inside the tie broke, and caused a tear in the tread, Iput on a new tire and went riding, if you own a wing and ride a lot get used to puting new tires on every one or two years, there really is no such thing as a warranty on a m-c tire, they are there but try collecting.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with everyone, old tires. I change bike tires at 2-2.5 years, no matter the mileage.

Now, does anyone else think that we are seeing a lot of delaminated tires on 1800's?

·
Registered
227 Posts
you guys need to get out more often,I have put 3new backs and 2 new fronts on in a year.Also would suggest you learn to do your own tire change outs cause sometimes there aren't no dealers.You can spend the money you save on gas and tires.John

1 - 20 of 20 Posts