GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I went out to Rockies Gold this year, I used a 30K headset instead of my normal 20S. I was using it for 1) Music, 2) CB, 3) Phone 4) GPS.

I had things paired like this:
Primary phone pairing - 30K -> Freewire
Second phone pairing - 30K -> Zumo
Phone paired to Zumo for HFP
Phone paired to GROM on bike for A2DP which went to the headset via the Freewire.

During the trip the intercom was off.

Observations:
1) I found the 30K connected to the Freewire and the Zumo more reliably than my old 20S.

2) When the GPS interrupted my normal A2DP stream from the Freewire, it frequently had a break in the audio in the first fraction of a second. It was noticeable bot not a problem.

3) The connection to the Zumo was much quieter than the connection between my 20S and the Zumo

4) Battery life was good. I got over 12 hours a couple of times.

5) Sound quality was on par with the 20S. Not significantly better or worse (outside of the Zumo connection.)

Overall, I had no complaints with the 30K at all.

When I got back home, I put the second 30K on my wife's helmet and things got interesting. I used mesh between the helmets. I found like others that my GPS was interrrupting intercom conversations. I also found that the VOX was far too sensitive on her mic and I had wind noise much of the time. I then tried to pair my phone to the second pairing on the 30K and that caused a huge mess. When the phone produced audio, everything else went dead for 5+ minutes. Then either turning the headset off and on would reconnect stuff, or if I just waited it would reconnect on its own. Pairing to the Freewire and my phone does not seem to work well at all, but pairing to the Freewire and the Zumo works much better. At this point, when I'm using the 30K intercom, I think I'm going to disconnect the Zumo from the 30K, so it does not interrupt everything when it has an alert.

Currently I have paired the headset back to the zumo and have turned on mesh intercom with no problems when I don't have a passenger. Now to try it with a passenger. I have turned down the VOX sensitivity and if that is not adequate, I'll stretch a balloon over the mic and see if that helps. I have a couple of other settings to play with to see if I can at least somewhat optimize this setup. Right now, it is better than the 20S was, but it is not great when using it with the Freewire and a rider with mesh intercom. I did turn off bluetooth multitasking because I'm not using bluetooth intercom at this point.

I would give the headset a B rating without intercom use and it would drop to a C- with the intercom, but I do have more work to do.

BTW: the 30K is available as a refurbished unit from Sena with warranty for $200.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am wondering if anyone has tried the intercom system on the bike with a Freewire and 20S or 30K or anything for the rider, and have the passenger corded the old way. Can the passenger still communicate with rider, and hear the same audio as the rider??

I'm asking because I don't ride a passenger but if I wanted to I don't want to spend that money for something that would be very temporary.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Long time 30k user here, but just one long ride (a few days) with having it connected up to BT GPS - zumo 396 - at the same time.

I found the notifications from the zumo would interrupt my intercom with various 20s users. It's a chatty little thing by default, for example notifying you when the speed limit drops, and it would cut me out for all of 10-15 sec. Way too often, and too long.

However, it was NOT stepping on those that I was connected to by mesh. Weird.

I'm far from happy with the way it worked, but haven't made any real effort to rejiggle things. I'm riding more this weekend and will see what I learn. Again, a hyrid group with some 30k, some 20s, some 0.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I tested my own question. Sena has told people they need two Freewires to work for Driver and Passenger. Well on my 2005 that was built before Sena units and Freewires, I have like most Goldwings the Driver and Passenger audio connectors that in the day we plugged our J&M headset into and everything audio to include Intercom worked great. But we were tied to the bike with a helmet chord. In 2017, I bought the Freewire. I connected it to the bike and my 20S and everything worked for me. However, with the phone connected to the 20S there was difficulty in getting the Freewire connected to the headset every time with key on. So I unpaired the phone.

This morning I went out and plugged an older set of J&M headsets into the passenger audio chord. My grandson could hear music through the headset, he could hear me over the intercom. I could hear him but faintly, and being only 5 with a soft voice, I had to ask him to speak really loud and I could hear him. Bottom line is if you have a chorded helmet that can plug into the passenger connection. I don't see a problem that Sena people think we need to spend additional money for another system. I ride 99% of the time without a passenger and don't need to spend money for that 1%.

Oh! I don't know why but my GPS (TOM TOM) is connected to my 20S and with the Freewire everything works great. I don't understand why the phone doesn't work great in that configuration. But, I'm lucky because I can connect the phone to the GPS and read who is calling and I can call out using the screen on the GPS just like in my car and truck. The only thing I have to do when getting on the bike is turn on the 20S FIRST. Then get on and turn the key on and listen for both Freewire and GPS to connect then all is good.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sena versus J&M

Has anyone compared the SENA system to the J&M B/T system? :nerd:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts