GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just bought a brand new 2006 Goldwing and you can guess what's wrong. Low speed shimmy and left saddlebag shows it is not closed. What is with Honda not fixing these problems? I had these problems with my 2003 and still no fix. That is poor quality control.

Bill

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: My buddy just bought a new 2006 and you can guess what's

billwild said:
My buddy just bought a brand new 2006 Goldwing and you can guess what's wrong. Low speed shimmy and left saddlebag shows it is not closed. What is with Honda not fixing these problems? I had these problems with my 2003 and still no fix. That is poor quality control.

Bill
How come the dealer did not notice this :oops:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Saddle bag problem ---Dealers feel no problem//////just give it a tap and it makes the switch..I have the same problem...
As far as the wobble why fix it if they are selling out as fast as they make it and the goverment has made them do a recall...I hope all who have the problem with low speed wobble report the issue to the traffic safty board......Then and only than will issues like the wobbles, brake lock ups ect. be looked at and maybe a recall forced by the feds...

·
Registered
394 Posts
The saddlebag latch can be adjusted a little to get the switch to activate. It is just a matter of adjusting the rod. Not a big deal.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
my 02 was in about 5 times and the fix never worked, even with new assembly

the left bag didnt function

and the same thing on the 06, left bag sticks and wont open, and shows not closed many times

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I have two views on this. One is......people can set around and bitch about the front end shimmy problem that Honda will not fix and live with it. The other is that you can have tapered bearings installed (for about $200) that will cure the problem and enjoy the ride. Folks wake up! Honda is not going to do anything about this problem! If you want it fixed.....do it yourself. Just my 2 cents. :lol:

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Bash said:
I have two views on this. One is......people can set around and bitch about the front end shimmy problem that Honda will not fix and live with it. The other is that you can have tapered bearings installed (for about $200) that will cure the problem and enjoy the ride. Folks wake up! Honda is not going to do anything about this problem! If you want it fixed.....do it yourself. Just my 2 cents. :lol:
My hands do what the new bearings do. Mine has a slight low-speed wobble, but not that big a deal. I've had several bikes do the same thing in certain conditions (tires, speed, etc). Now, having a WOBBLE like Red had is an entirely different story. Important difference.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay Bash, so what your saying is the ball bearings will cure the wobble? I had the super brace installed and that helped a lot.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,753 Posts
Bash said:
I agree with you 100%. If you want to fix the wobble and move on and get past this issue so you can enjoy the bike, then you are going to have to fix this wobble issue yourself....Honda isn't going to do a thing about the decel wobble. All balls steering bearing and fork springs that can support the weight of the bike and rider makes a big difference with this machine.

This bike has a fairly steep steering rake to give a machine of this length and weight the quick handling that it has. That combined with front forks that are nearly bottomed out while riding this machine which steepens the steering rake a bit more is what is causing the decel wobble. I'll bet that any motorcycle that rides with it's forks nearly bottomed out will wobble on decel with your hands off of the handlebars, especially a 920lb motorcycle. This bike sinks 3 inches with just the average Wing rider sitting on the bike. Raise the front end up with some stronger fork springs that can support the weight of the bike and the rider and the wobble will be gone. BTW... Not all aftermarket fork springs are equal. I have measured a owners Wing that had a set of Progressive fork springs installed and with his 280lbs sitting on the bike his bike still sinks 3 inches....with a set of Traxxion springs his bike sinks 1 inch.

I have installed the full boat Traxxion upgrade on two Wings and have done two Wings with just the Traxxion fork springs kit along with All Balls steering bearings and all four bikes were cured of the decel wobble using the same tire that it wobble with before the upgrades. If you don't want to spend the money on upgrades than just keep your hands on the handlebars while you are slowing down....that cures the decel wobble too :lol:

·
Vendor
22,089 Posts
Most of the time when a saddlebag shows it is not closed, it is because the owner has not learned how to close them properly.

Put a hand opposite each latch mechanism and gently push on the door till you hear the latch "click". Don't slam the door or trunk, that will only cause damage and cracks. Close the door gently with firm pressure from the palm of your hand pushing against the door where the latches are.

G

·
0 Posts
Bash said:
Or a third choice.... The H-D Ultra Classic.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I am really sorry if someone is offended by what I am about to type, but it seems like there is an expectation out there that the Honda GL-1800 should be an absolute perfect bike in every way for every rider that buys one.

There ain't a bike on this planet that satisfies that expectation!

I, for one, feel that I received an excellent bike for the money I paid. No, it was not perfect for my every need or my every want. WHO CARES? I changed what I wanted to change and accepted what I didn't feel needed to be changed. I now ride my bike and am really happy with it. If you are not happy with your GL-1800, Ultra-Classic, Boss-Hog, or moped, then sell the sucker and get on with your life.

The manufacturer is not your mother so stop acting like a spoiled child. They should be brought to task for serious design flaws that have a significant risk of killing someone that has normal intellegence (idiots need not apply). If the GL-1800 is the POS that many make it out to be, then sales would dry up until mother Honda got its fecal matter in a single container.

There. I fell much better now. Have a nice day! :sun1:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Mark Rowell said:
I am really sorry if someone is offended by what I am about to type, but it seems like there is an expectation out there that the Honda GL-1800 should be an absolute perfect bike in every way for every rider that buys one.

I, for one, feel that I received an excellent bike for the money I paid. No, it was not perfect for my every need or my every want. WHO CARES? I changed what I wanted to change and accepted what I didn't feel needed to be changed. I now ride my bike and am really happy with it. If you are not happy with your GL-1800, Ultra-Classic, Boss-Hog, or moped, then sell the sucker and get on with your life.

The manufacturer is not your mother so stop acting like a spoiled child. They should be brought to task for serious design flaws that have a significant risk of killing someone that has normal intellegence (idiots need not apply). If the GL-1800 is the POS that many make it out to be, then sales would dry up until mother Honda got its fecal matter in a single container.

C'mon Mark... Stop beating around the bush... Tell us what you really think...

And, by the way... AMEN!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Wow you mean we can take our hands off the handle bars while slowing down to drink our coffee and eat our bacon & egg muffen...Hum it will only cost about what three grand?????????????????

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
BLK04WNG

Trading for a Harley only changes the frequency of the wobble.

Goldwing safe slow speed decel wobble. :lol:

Harley has a high speed tank slapping wobble that will wreck you ! :cry:

Ask me how I know ! :roll:

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
tjshelton said:
Mark Rowell said:

C'mon Mark... Stop beating around the bush... Tell us what you really think...

And, by the way... AMEN!
Ditto!

And I agree Honda is not our mother... but then later he said "mother Honda..."

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Okay Bash, so what your saying is the ball bearings will cure the wobble?
Has ball bearings now.....tapered roller bearing are the new type everyone is putting in. I think they're tapered.......I know they are roller and not ball.

It is pretty sad that they keep usingthe same crap design onthe saddlebag and won't re-design it or otherwise make it work properlyALL THE TIME!!!!!. My plastic keeper brokeon my left bag today. I just bought it in July, and have had numerous troubles with it since. Today it gave up the ghost. That is a POS design......sorry......I feel better now.
I'm going to get some cheese with my whine! :roll:

P

·
0 Posts
Amazing. I slam my saddle bags and trunk like they are made of steel and I've never had a problem. Heck, the way I treat them you'd think they were a good set up.
Maybe I just got lucky. :D

No leaks, no won't open or close, not even after the bike fell off the truck ramp and landed right on the left saddle bag. Makes me wonder if the factory has good molds and maybe one that's slightly off.

Pat

1 - 20 of 22 Posts