GL1800Riders Forums banner

My choice for an easy steering head socket tool

4K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  rickathome 
#1 ·
Sears Craftsman socket 1-11/16, 12 point. $20.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10165_26151_00947784000P

A few points. It fits a bit loose. You need to carefully hold it down squarely, tip it a little and it will slip. I've gone only to 30 ft-lbs with it.

The Sears socket is JUST deep enough, others may not be. It does need to be 12 point, so it has points at 90 degree angles. It's 3/4 drive, you may have to also purchase an adapter.

Other alternatives are substantially more expensive or require fabrication.

#2 ·

A few points. It fits a bit loose. You need to carefully hold it down squarely, tip it a little and it will slip. I've gone only to 30 ft-lbs with it.

The Sears socket is JUST deep enough, others may not be. It does need to be 12 point, so it has points at 90 degree angles. It's 3/4 drive, you may have to also purchase an adapter.

i know a guy that makes some nice ones out of stainless steel that fit and work perfectly for $39 delivered to 50 states :joke:

#4 ·
I purchased one from HDL before Cycledude started offering them, or at least before I knew of Cycledude's fine offerings. I have a set of Cycledudes's bearing seating tools and they are excellent.

prs

#6 ·
My take.

Cycledude's tool is an excellent high quality piece that looks good and works exactly as Honda intended.

The Craftsman socket is cheaper, was immediately available two miles away from me, and worked fine for me. It fits "good enough".

If you're confident in your ability to fabricate tools, fabricating one yourself may be the cheapest alternative. Note that Fred (of video fame) dumped his own fabrication in favor of a manufactured tool, though. It's not that hard to make one, but it's not trivial, either.

Three good choices, depending on your personal druthers.

#8 ·
I got the entire set of tools Cycledude offers quite some time ago......Good stuff too.:thumbup:

#9 ·
My take.

Cycledude's tool is an excellent high quality piece that looks good and works exactly as Honda intended.

The Craftsman socket is cheaper, was immediately available two miles away from me, and worked fine for me. It fits "good enough".

If you're confident in your ability to fabricate tools, fabricating one yourself may be the cheapest alternative. Note that Fred (of video fame) dumped his own fabrication in favor of a manufactured tool, though. It's not that hard to make one, but it's not trivial, either.

Three good choices, depending on your personal druthers.
Tryker, THANKS for the good words, and your idea for making your own socket is a very good one ! :thumbup:

THANKS to everyone else that have bought tools from me, it is a fun little hobby that i enjoy, and the extra gas money is greatly appreciated ! :thumbup:

#10 ·
Big Wes said; "I got the entire set of tools Cycledude offers quite some time ago......Good stuff too.:thumbup: "

I wonder if the crystal ball may reveal a new additon to the set sooner or later, maybe a swingarm lock ring socket and hex tool.

prs

#13 ·
No .. you are looking in the right place. My video making is done just have 550 hours of videoing to edit down to about 8hrs. That part is overwelming for me and can't seem to get started on it. The swing arm tools will be here shortly. If there is interest in the eng removal tools, the proto types are made, and I just need to order them.

#15 ·
I you had purchased that socket in 6 point it would have never slipped.

Ive worn out more tools than the average man. About 40 years ago the "Senior" mechanic, who was 45 years older than me, gave me sage advice.

"Boy, don't waste your money on 12 point sockets, they slip and bust your knuckles"

#16 ·
I you had purchased that socket in 6 point it would have never slipped.

Ive worn out more tools than the average man. About 40 years ago the "Senior" mechanic, who was 45 years older than me, gave me sage advice.

"Boy, don't waste your money on 12 point sockets, they slip and bust your knuckles"
It has to be 12 point. The steering adjuster isn't a hex, it has 4 slots at 90 degrees from each other. The tips of the six point won't line up with the slots like the 12 point does.

#17 ·
No .. you are looking in the right place. My video making is done just have 550 hours of videoing to edit down to about 8hrs. That part is overwelming for me and can't seem to get started on it. The swing arm tools will be here shortly. If there is interest in the eng removal tools, the proto types are made, and I just need to order them.
Let me know when the swing arm tools are in, I will order a set. Question about the engine removal tools. Is there special tools to remove the engine from the bike? Or are you offering the tools needed to take the engine apart? Thanks.

#18 ·
Let me know when the swing arm tools are in, I will order a set. Question about the engine removal tools. Is there special tools to remove the engine from the bike? Or are you offering the tools needed to take the engine apart? Thanks.
There are 2 spanner lock nut sockets like the swing arm requires or the one needed for the steering head bearings. These are needed to remove and reinstall a motor on a GL1800.

#19 ·
There are 2 spanner lock nut sockets like the swing arm requires or the one needed for the steering head bearings. These are needed to remove and reinstall a motor on a GL1800.
Excellent, let me know when those are ready as well. Thanks.

#20 ·
The swing arm tools are now available.

The engine tools to pull a motor will have next week.

#21 ·

For future reference, here is another thread concerning this subject:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/show...-a-Steering-Stem-Socket-for-Less-than-5-Bucks!

#22 ·
I have the one from cycledude, it is a very well made part.

#24 ·
i know a guy that makes some nice ones out of stainless steel that fit and work perfectly for $39 delivered to 50 states :joke:
Have had mine a few years and used it a few times; well worth the money!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.