GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Vendor
22,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have developed a fix that will automatically extend the length of time that your turn signals will stay on and I have a prototype on my bike that has been working great. I was planning on making kits and selling them and making millions (or even billions) of dollars off the idea, but I have gotten bogged down with other projects and just don't have the time and energy to start manufacturing them.

So anyway, I am just going to reveal the design and let you guys have at it. It is really easy to make, as all you need is a 12 volt relay, some wire, and a diode.

The circuit works like this. The turn signal cancel unit uses a counter that counts down and cancels. You can reset the counter by simply applying a ground to the pink wire on the cancel unit. This is what happens whenever you push the turn signal a second time.

My added relay connects to the brake circuit and automatically resets the cancel unit (continuously) anytime the brakes are applied and the turn signals are on. The effectively prevents the counter from counting until the brakes are released. So if you approach a turn with the signals on, and apply the brakes, the cancel unit won't even start the countdown cancel until you release the brakes.

The automatic cancel function based on the angle sensor that senses handle bar movement is not affected, and the unit will still self cancel as it always has at the completion of a turn based on handle bar movement.

The diagram below is cut and pasted together from three diagrams of the brake and turn signals. You can see the relay I added and the wires for it.

The blue and pink wires for the cancel unit can be accessed up near the cancel unit by the steering stem. The brake wire can be accessed at the brake light relay and the gray wire from the flasher can be found in the left side panel at the flasher button circuit.

The relay will only energize when both the brake lights are on and the turn signals are flashing. The gray wire provides a pulsating ground to the pink wire that continually resets the circuit over and over as long as the relay is energized.

This design took me a month or two to perfect, and it works real well. I no longer have to hit my button a second time. Hope you enjoy it.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/image/72006525

·
Registered
624 Posts
Well, thanks for the Christmas present Fred.

This is not the first Christmas gift I have received which I didn't have sense enough to use, but it is by far the nicest. :D :D

Anyone care to extend Fred's gift and come over to my house and install it for me?

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
This way you can ride around with your blinker on and nobody will know were your going just like in Ballard ! (Seattle folks will know about this !) :oops:

·
Registered
585 Posts
I followed that diagram to a tee. The blinkers on the Wing didn't change but our Microwave oven started working again! Thanks Fred, MERRY CHRISTMAS. :D

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Thanks Fred, this is a great mod. I will install it when I get home at the same time I install some other mods I got from Lewis.

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
Fred you are assuming alot

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I just did this wiring and now my remote starter works!

Merry Christmas to you Fred. :D

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Not quite what I had in mind Fred..>>LOL

So let's see, the red wire goes to the blue wire. The yellow wire goes to the green and gray striped....Oh never mind....

Merry Christmas

Bulldog

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I followed the diagram and it lead me to a Karaoke bar......:shock:

thanks for the diagram Fred.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
BUT....I didn't get you anything.
Well, I do offer Best Wishes for the holidays and many thanks for all
the HARD EARNED knowledge you share.
Excellent Timing and Excellent taste in Gift selection!
My new 07 is disrobed and it will be very easy to do your turn signal mod.
and eliminate those nagging thoughts that rode with me since 2002.
"It's gonna turn off too soon, I just know it."
"Here I am, in heavy traffic, maneuvering for a quick turn, and I have to keep an eye on the "premature turn cancel"."
Well....not any more bucko :!: :!: :!: :) :) :)
DC

·
Vendor
22,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FYI, the real beauty of this mod is that it does not affect normal turn signal cancellation based on handle bar movement. Also, if simply doing a lane change on the interstate, the auto cancel distance will be the same as it always was, since you don't use the brakes when changing lanes.

The only time the cancel time-out distance will be increased, is when you apply the brakes, like you normally do when slowing for a turn. It works really well, and is a pretty seamless integration. I feel it really is worthwhile doing.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Fred "The Man" H. said:
I feel it really is worthwhile doing.
Well, then it was!

Merry Christmas to you and your family (including the pup.)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts