GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cruise control on my 06 will not set. The fuse is okay. The cruise control power light will come on, but it will not set. I am going to take it to the dealer as soon as I can, but I am wondering if there is anything I am overlooking that is a quick fix. This just started yesterday. What could it be?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Broken or disconnected pull cable?

Trev.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Somewhere I heard that if a saddlebag or trunk is not fully latched, the cruise won't work. It would be nice if that were the problem... Logically, if one of your brake light switches is stuck, that could also be the problem.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Be sure and work the clutch lever several times in a row, and perhaps spray a little electrical contact cleaner in the clutch switch. Might as well do the front brake lever switch also. Sometimes these switches are the culprit.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Re: My cruise control has stopped working....fuse is okay.

Jan Kokochak said:
The cruise control on my 06 will not set. The fuse is okay. The cruise control power light will come on, but it will not set. I am going to take it to the dealer as soon as I can, but I am wondering if there is anything I am overlooking that is a quick fix. This just started yesterday. What could it be?
Jan,
There are three (3) cruise disconnect switches (clutch lever, ft brake lever, rear brake pedal); if any one is not re-setting your cruise won't engage. :wink:

If you put your head/ear close to either one and engage it and release it you should hear a distinct click each way on the clutch and two clicks (brake lts and cruise) on the brake lever and pedal.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I had the same problem. It was the switch on the front brake side. I slide the boot back, removed the one screw that held it in place, disconnected three wires and removed the switch, there was a nice little hole in the bottom to spray contact cleaner in the switch, you could see the contacts working thru that hole. I replaced it and it worked fine. But I did stop by the Honda shop and pick up a new switch, $10, and installed it and kept the other for a spare. BB. :D

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Jan,
If you were any where else I would say weather ( Temp ) Mine does that this time of the year but it will engage after several pushes of the button. When it is warm it is just a single push. I would go with a sticking switch first.

·
Registered
683 Posts
If your covering the clutch or brake lever, don't. While riding, try to set the cruise, if it will not, push out on the clutch and brake levers. Found this to be my problem.

·
Registered
359 Posts
cruise control

Do you have aftermarket levers?. If so some of them do not make contact with the switch causing the cruise to not engage. Does the cruise light light come on but it will not engage.? if so it is the switch.

·
Registered
826 Posts
If your brake lights are on, it's a switch or screw that needs adjusting. Had it happen to me within only a few thousand miles. It was the adjusting screw for front or rear brakes behind the side cover. Don't recall which.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Jan, When mine did the same, the rear brake switch just needed a minor adjustment. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am going to check the switches, but won't do any major stuff since the warranty should cover it. I just hate taking the bike into the dealer.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Jan Kokochak said:
I am going to check the switches, but won't do any major stuff since the warranty should cover it. I just hate taking the bike into the dealer.
WELL?.. Jan,
Inquiring minds want to know.
Which switch was it?
DC

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
sounds like it could be a faulty switch on the right handlebar

my 2001 was bad for 25,000 miles, in my case it was an intermitent problem, every time i took it to a dealer it would work perfect, i think they thought i was causing my own problem, after 25,000 miles it quit working completly so they put in a new switch and the problem never came back

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WEELLLLLLLLLLL! On the way to Brooksville today, the cruise worked fine. :shock: Still buzzing like hell, but working none the less. I checked all the switches and could clearly hear the double click. :?

·
Vendor
22,083 Posts
Jan Kokochak said:
WEELLLLLLLLLLL! On the way to Brooksville today, the cruise worked fine. :shock: Still buzzing like hell, but working none the less. I checked all the switches and could clearly hear the double click. :?
There is a real easy way to get rid of that buzzing noise. I even show how to do it in my new 2 disc update.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts