GL1800Riders Forums banner

My dad sometimes scuffs the top of my saddlebags while getting on. Solutions?

3K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  alwrmcusn 
#1 ·
My dad is 80 years old, not very flexible.......but loves to be a pillion on my new to me 2014 F6B.

He is going to end up scuffing the top of my luggage bags if he drags his foot across the top of them while getting on the back of the bike.

Any ideas on how to prevent damage?

#6 ·
Well, to be honest he's never scuffed my saddlebags yet but he's only been on my F6B twice and no scuffing but I've seen him do it many times on demo bikes, he has never done it on purpose but he's just not agile enough most times.

We went out for our second run today and I think that I might have come up with something that will work....we'll see. With the bike resting on its kickstand, I asked him to put his left foot on the left side peg, then got him to throw over his right leg and I helped guide his foot over the saddlebag.

Then I jumped on and pulled the bike off of its kickstand. Then to get him off of the bike I simply reversed the process. I put the kickstand down and eased the bike to the left until it touched down, then I slid off of the rider's seat, then I helped him get off the bike.

It's a bit awkward but it kinda works. As long as I'm not going to ruin my kickstand over time by doing this. He probably weighs around 190 lbs.

#5 ·
SORRY DAD …… TIME TO STAY HOME ! :surprise:>:):laugh: THEY ALSO MAKE VINLY WRAP TYPE STICKERS / DECALS THAT COULD USE AND DRESSE UP BIKE AT SAME TIME . TELL DAD HE CAN BUY FOR YOU "FOR XMAS " :wink2:

#8 ·
Well, to be honest he's never scuffed my saddlebags yet but he's only been on my F6B twice and no scuffing but I've seen him do it many times on demo bikes, he has never done it on purpose but he's just not agile enough most times.

We went out for our second run today and I think that I might have come up with something that will work....we'll see. With the bike resting on its kickstand, I asked him to put his left foot on the left side peg, then got him to throw over his right leg and I helped guide his foot over the saddlebag.

Then I jumped on and pulled the bike off of its kickstand. Then to get him off of the bike I simply reversed the process. I put the kickstand down and eased the bike to the left until it touched down, then I slid off of the rider's seat, then I helped him get off the bike.

It's a bit awkward but it kinda works. As long as I'm not going to ruin my kickstand over time by doing this. He probably weighs around 190 lbs.
Dude, that's nothing, I weigh 260 pounds and almost always mount my bike standing on the left foot peg, have been doing it for over twelve years... Your kickstand can handle it....

Oh, and FYI... minor pet peeve of mine. The person riding on the back of your bike is not referred to as "the pillion". They are your passenger, said to be "riding pillion". The pillion is the position. So, you would say "he loves to ride pillion..." instead of he "loves to be a pillion..." ; that is of course, assuming someone is not sitting on him! :wink2:

#9 ·
I have the matte White Paint

Being 70 does limit your mobilitiy somewhat and I am guilty of scuffing the top of the right saddle on my bike from time to time. I clean the scuff off with the same thing I clean the bike with which is Bike Spirit Cleaner & Polish and it always take the scuff off the white saddle and never leaves a mark.

#11 ·
Being 70 does limit your mobilitiy somewhat and I am guilty of scuffing the top of the right saddle on my bike from time to time. I clean the scuff off with the same thing I clean the bike with which is Bike Spirit Cleaner & Polish and it always take the scuff off the white saddle and never leaves a mark.

Thanks for chiming in!

That reminds me, I used to polish my bike with wax but it was a metal fuel tank and metal fenders. Can I use that same wax on all the plastic that's on my F6B?

#16 ·
just throw a bath towel over the tank with the long side hanging over both sides. Towel and Dad - easy on, easy off.

Reactions: Kenichi
#17 ·
No, I would not kick Dad off. You will remember these rides for the rest of your life.

Find Dad some boots/shoes with softer soles, which will not scuff if they hit the bike.

Personally, it my Dad would have ridden with me, I would have buffed, polished, and even re-painted! I would have kept my mouth shut!

#18 ·
Go to a window tinting shop and get "Clear Bra" installed on your bags. Never worry about a scuff mark again.

#19 ·
Like someone else said...........I can only wish my dad was alive to ride with me..................

How about a towel/blanket to place over the area affected when he climbs on to ride??

Ronnie

#21 ·
--

I've used clear bra on several bags to good results. In fact, I use it where the bugs hit to protect the paint, too.

--

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.