GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. my first alpin RF has about run its life and going to order another soon. Don't keep track of miles but guessing 25k or better on it.
"most" of my miles are back and forth to work via superslab at 75 miles a day so a bike tire gets costly. we make several long trips a year also into the twisties, this last year to the dragon and BRP where my front floor boards are ground down from dragging.
now the warning.
shortly after installing the Alpin, (bike on it's side and trashbag method) easy pleasy, within about a month i was leaving for work, and decided to get the mail on the way out of the driveway. now there is a lip of say 1-2" from my driveway up to the road, so pulling the bikes front wheel onto the road at a slight angle to get mail from the box. well when starting to pull away, when the back wheel hit the change in pavement elevation it threw me over into the mailbox. i had to get off the bike and unwedge the bike from under the mailbox, with a now new gash on my top case side and top.
so my warning is that with the runflat rear be very aware of the road surface at crawling speeds. it you have to get over a small curb or something similar to really get over it at a fast speed if possible.
my 02 as usual.
michael

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. Love my Alpin, but you have to remember the slight quirks. :cool:

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
OH YEAH, I know exactly what you're talking about. I have not dumped it, by I have felt the sudden change in pitch when you ride over things like that. My daughter's driveway has a change in pavement height too, and I try to avoid that at slow speeds.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Alpin and Yokohama Envigor both do it to some degree. YMMV

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
This is with any car tire, right? Not just the Alpin or any RF.
the more square the tire, the stiffer the sidewall, or the higher the pressure on a NRF the greater the tendency to want to be perpendicular to the surface. The Goodyear Triple Tread in a 205/60 configuration is the worst I have personally ridden. The Alpin has a little of this tendency, the Yokohama is a bit worse. After 100k on a car tire, you watch. Adjustments are automatic.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
This is with any car tire, right? Not just the Alpin or any RF.
Actually that is with any tire with a large, wide contact patch. The wider the contact patch the more careful you need to be when running over road irregularities at a less than 90 degree angle.

The difference between a MT and CT on the Wing is quite pronounced due to the significant difference in contact patch width. The flatness of the CT tire also makes navigating sloped surfaces at a perpendicular angle a bit more difficult. I was recently bitten by just that recently. Didn't realize how sloped the parking lot was until the bike was on its side. Fortunately there were plenty of my riding buddies around to witness. :oops:

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
it will definitely give ya a wake up call:shock::shock: worst thing you can do is fight it and jerk bars in other direction - when it wants to walk pretty much thats what its gonna do. just a matter of staying alert !! i wont go back to mc tire.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Am only on my 2nd CT. I'm guessing some are worse than others in that situation. I know my 1st which was a KumhoRF was scary and the present tire [MichelinRF] not so much. Just have to keep it in mind at slow speed manuvers.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Yup.
Just as 'water seeks its own level', a wide contact patch seeks the surface!

Great when you're flying down the slab; on a side-slope... not so much.

Glad that the lesson wasn't more costly - and thanks for the reminder. (I'm just getting ready to take Lucille on her Darkside Maiden Voyage.)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yep, that's the nature of the beast. And the primary quirk that dissuades some (most?) riders from going Darkside.

Because of that tendency I avoid slow maneuvers on irregular surfaces, especially two-up. On a trip through Denali Park (virtually all gravel road) three years ago, two-up... any time I pulled over to stop for some photos it was with a pretty good speed until I clamped on the brakes. :lol: Fortunately, I had warned my passenger ahead of time that the stops would be sudden and severe. :shock: But we survived. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts