GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at my new winter home in Florida. My bike needed the oil changed and I didn't yet have the stuff to do it, so I took it to a local dealer and introduced myself. I made an appointment, and then dropped the bike off. Later that day I picked it up and went for a ride. I could smell a faint odor of burning oil and presumed the tech had spilled a bit on the exhaust. When I got home I could still smell burning oil, and noticed some droplets under the bike. I couldn't tell where it was coming from as it had blown all over the bottom of the bike. I called the dealer and had them come pick the bike up. It turns out that what I told them was the likely cause was just that...the o-ring on the filter! The fixed it, cleaned the bike up and returned it to me. I guess test runs after oil changes aren't done.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
which dealer was it, we need to know before we go there

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
750 Posts
that's a bummer but it sounds like they took good care of you. I just had the dealer do the first oil change on my diesel pickup and brought it home to my brand new house with new concrete and now have oil stain. had to take the truck back to them and they had to replace the bad oil filter. I know your feeling kaw kaw happens

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I think Honda should order Fred Harmon's Video's for all their Tech's and make them Mandatory viewing as well! JMHO>:)

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I remember once I took a car into a fast lube type of place to have the oil changed and all the easy fluids topped off and checked. After I got home I discovered my fluids were not topped off properly. I call my bank and had a stop payment put on the transaction and called them on what a crappy job they did. They actually wanted me to take it back so they could make everything right and verify the issue. I said no way. I didn’t have any confidence in their shop and took it somewhere else.

My neighbor had their oil plug fallout on a their Toyota after they had the oil changed once ..... what a nightmare.

End of story.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
In my business, we have over 110 gas and diesel engines. We do all of our own maintenance and most repairs. In some of the more serious issues, we take it to the dealers for repair. Both the JD and the GM dealer have been in business for over 50 years,....mistakes on repairs have been made by them in the 32 years I have been buying and bringing equipment to them,....mistakes are going to happen, I feel what's most important is how they deal with the mistake, and both have taken the correct steps to make things right.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am at my new winter home in Florida. My bike needed the oil changed and I didn't yet have the stuff to do it, so I took it to a local dealer and introduced myself. I made an appointment, and then dropped the bike off. Later that day I picked it up and went for a ride. I could smell a faint odor of burning oil and presumed the tech had spilled a bit on the exhaust. When I got home I could still smell burning oil, and noticed some droplets under the bike. I couldn't tell where it was coming from as it had blown all over the bottom of the bike. I called the dealer and had them come pick the bike up. It turns out that what I told them was the likely cause was just that...the o-ring on the filter! The fixed it, cleaned the bike up and returned it to me. I guess test runs after oil changes aren't done.

Maybe his mechanic used work on Harley's and thought all bikes should leak a little oil....:smile2:

Reactions: big1800scooter

·
Vendor
17,780 Posts
that's a bummer but it sounds like they took good care of you. I just had the dealer do the first oil change on my diesel pickup and brought it home to my brand new house with new concrete and now have oil stain. had to take the truck back to them and they had to replace the bad oil filter. I know your feeling kaw kaw happens
If that happened in a home garage, hopefully your floor gets either painted with an industrial epoxy, or sealed.

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
I would find a new dealer. No excuses for something so simple.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Anyone can get a bad part or make a mistake. You find out what a business is made of after a mistake or bad part. If they blow it off don't go back to them. On the other hand if they work to properly repair the problem then I say go back. When I was a operations manager I lived by the moto "Go beyond what is required". It sounds that the OPs dealer did what they could to make the OP whole.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
If that happened in a home garage, hopefully your floor gets either painted with an industrial epoxy, or sealed.
I often get oil and grease on my concrete floor. I clean what I can with brake cleaner and a paper towel. Yes, there are residual stains, it doesn't harm the concrete or the environment and it doesn't bother me. I do keep my garage and tools clean.

As to the OP's issue, I haven't seen the procedure for changing the DCT filter on the latest model Goldwing. There are some vehicles I have worked on where it is very difficult to insure that the o-ring or gasket is correctly orientated because of limited access and/or positioning of the filter. Sometimes a small application of a compatible grease between the o-ring and the filter will keep the o-ring in position.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I hate to sound like my Dad but ....anymore, the "mechanic" is actually a "tech" whatever that means....other than about $22 cheaper to the business. It's all about profit now. People who are skilled and CARE what they're doing(like) Fred, are a dying breed. It's the way of things, these days.
Now...GET OFFA MY LAWN!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a follow up. The dealership made the Technician that worked on my bike do the pick-up at my home. He seemed really sharp and apologetic. When I suggested it may be the o-ring as I have learned on this forum he immediately looked there. They brought the bike back to the shop, called me when it was done and on the way back to my house, all in a very short time. This is how a good place handles the inevitable occasional mistake. When I got the bike back it was all cleaned up underneath and you couldn't tell anything had happened. It would be difficult for me to be more critical because I have been known to make a mistake or two in my life. ;-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts