GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share my experience from this past Monday riding my
'01. I was in a hurry to get my hair cut, (my stylist had to leave right after
my appointment), anyway, I was thinking about getting to Winchester, (22 miles away), as quick as I could and not about how slick the road was. It had been raining off and on all afternoon but I didn't see any puddles so I wasn't paying that much attention to the grip of my tires. I'm still a GL1800 newbie having only had it since June so I'm still enjoying twisting the grip, (I never twisted the grip so much/often on my 1200. I was getting on the interstate from an entrance ramp that had two merging lanes but I was following a very slow semi truck so I decided to give it a little more gas than usual and go around on the right. At about 45 mph, the rear tire broke loose and the back end was sliding about a foot
left to right. Fortunately for me I had presence of mind not to freak out
so I let off the gas and she, (my bike), came back straight. Things could have really gone bad had it been a little more slick or I had grabbed just a little more throttle. It's a good thing I pray every morning while I ride; I think I'm going to pray on my way home from work too! I think it's time to realize ya' just can't get too wild on a wet day or things could get very expensive. I plan on thinking a lot more about road conditions after my wet weather experience. I do think I will try a Metzler or an Avon and see if I get better wet traction- I just won't be goosing the throttle any more on wet days. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE! Don W.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
granpa in Cincy said:
I do think I will try a Metzler or an Avon and see if I get better wet traction-
I'd suggest Bridgestone instead
The radial Dunlops for the GL-1800 have much better traction than the bia ply Dunlops for the GL-1500, but I agree with Grandpa's recommendation to change to an Bridgestone.

·
Registered
791 Posts
[quote="dwitgoldwing" I think it's time to realize ya' just can't get too wild on a wet day or things could get very expensive. I plan on thinking a lot more about road conditions after my wet weather experience.[/quote]

Experience is a great teacher, if you survive the lesson :)

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Were the lanes near a truck stop? We have two entrance ramps in the area that you don't even want to do that when it's dry. It's terrible when it's wet. Diesel and water don't mix and there's always lots of diesel fuel to float on top of the water and these particular exits. You can often smell it on hot days with still winds....

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Don, often those on/off ramps are oil slicks.

Why do you guys suggest he not follow through with his plan to try either Avon or Metzeler when his chief complaint is regarding wet traction? I know for sure the Avons have spectacular traction wet or dry. I have seen some good number of posts blaming Metzeler for the wobbles, but they typically are praised for traction and handling. When new, my Dunnie E-3s had every bit as good traction as did the Bridgestons I had used, but they did have a personality change at about 4,000 miles as if the compound was harder deeper in the tread. Of the three brands of tires I have used; the Avons have provided the superior traction. I may try the revised front Bridgestone and Metzeler rear as reported by Wolf, but its hard to abandon such good service I have realized out of the Avons.

prs

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just put on a new set of E3s on and all I can say is I do not like them :!: :x They have poor traction in the rain and on fresh asphalt :!: They also gave my bike a very bad wobble from the first mile they were on :!: Will put on a new set of Stones next spring :!: The D250s that I replaced rode alot better :!: Also my bike didn't wobble at all with them at 15,000 miles! The E3s will be lucky to see 3,000 miles before I junk them! And yes I run 41 psi front and back.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
All things considered, a Dunlop would be my last choice if wet traction was a critical consideration. Sure, there are oily spots and spills, but I still want the one that will loose traction last. And Dunlops (E-3s included) are among the last choice for a tire I would make.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I think it might be prudent to be especially careful when the road is wet..
no matter what tires are on your bike... just a little oil on a wet/dry road can be detrimental to your well being...

cosmic

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
DonW, I suspect your traction problem was more the road surface than the tires. As many have noted above entrance/exit ramps to Interstates can be slick with stuff other than just wet pavement. We have to beware!

I am curious, you were hurrying to Winchester? Is that the one in VA or where?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I believe you would have the same results from any tire brand given the same conditions.

- you stated you are a new gl1800 rider
- you mentioned you weren't paying attention to the traction
- you accelerated around a slow moving vehicle in the wet

It appears you gave it too much throttle while not in a straight line which cause the rear tire to slide out.

I would suggest you do less praying and practice more. An ERC would help. You need to work on smooth operation of all controls to be a better rider.

glad you didn't panic, and kept the rubber side down.

·
Registered
95 Posts
E3's

Just made a 6100 mile trip on my E3's, rode 3 days in the rain in the mountains, no problems, only time they didn't grip was at a toll booth on a oil slick covered with water.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I agree with the road condition along with tire bite grip. Exit and on ramps
are sujected to alot of heavy braking and speedy starts while turning
sometimes. These ramps are usually too short to skid test the way
main lanes are. Just put a Bridgestone on the rear, happy so far.
Rookie first post..........

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
I really like the Bridgestones for the wet roads, they stick very well. I'm running a Avon on the back right now and it seems to stick very well on wet roads too, but there isn't any rear tire that the GL1800 can't spin on a wet road if you grab to much throttle....100 ftlbs plus of torque at the rear wheel will do that :lol:

·
Registered
657 Posts
What Cosmic, Harvey and thekid says...
Dennis

·
Registered
19,068 Posts
road conditions
abs saves lives

1 - 20 of 31 Posts