GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed to buy eight new shims due to most of my valve clearances being on the low side of the tolerance (and one under the tolerance). So I went to the Honda dealer closest to me to get the shims. The parts guy pulled out two organizers full of generic brand shims and I thought, "Cool, he's got everything I need, so I can finish the job today."

I needed one 195, and he readily pulled one out of its little compartment. So, then I asked for two 208s, but he only had 205s and 210s. Next was three 212s, but he only had the 210s and 215s. The 220s they had, but not the 222s. They only had the shims in .05mm increments instead of the .025mm increments that Honda makes. Well, now this isn't going so good. The increments they have available would only move me from the low tolerance to the high tolerance. Phooey, I'm not going to be able to finish today after all.

Okay, now (finally) comes the interesting part. Since they only have some of the shims I need in the generic box, I'll still need to order the other shims from Honda, so I ask how much the two brands cost, thinking that if the Honda shims aren't too much more, I'll go with all Honda shims since the markings on those are much clearer. Answers the parts guy, "$7.99 each for the generic and $6.36 each for the Honda." Surprise! The Honda ones are less expensive.

So, the point of the whole thing in my mind is, "why does the dealer stock generic shims when the Honda shims are available in smaller increments, easier to read markings, and at a lower price?"

Just one of the little things that makes no sense.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Valve shims

When I did mine it was cheaper and more convienent to order them from our board sponser and just as fast to get them. The local dealers charge more plus two trips there to order and then pick em up.

·
Registered
552 Posts
It would make me wonder how many adjustments they really do, or is it they say they do if the parts aren't available.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
It would make me wonder how many adjustments they really do, or is it they say they do if the parts aren't available.
By fudging it and installing the shims that are "close"..
The "shop" working stock may be different than the parts counter.. Most shops will also mic & reuse removed shims..

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
There is something like 60 different shim sizes. It is ridiculous to pay the dealer the prices they ask for shims they never have.

You can get a whole shim kit from Pro cycle or maybe even Hal sells them, did not see them but might be hid someplace I cannot find them . Cost for the set I purchased I think was 80 bucks. Got enough shims for a long time.

It has like five shims of each size in the kit.

Kit

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
The Pro Cycle kit is a great value at about $90 for about 200 shims BUT it only comes in increments of 0.05mm. So if you don't like that much variance in your shim setting, you may need to buy some itermediate 0.025mm increments from Hal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts