GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. I just changed my rear tire today. This is my first change on a wing. I found some interesting things out. To put my bike on the Larin lift I had to raise it to get the lift under it. I used a couple of 2X8 boards. I pulled the rear tire on one and put the other under the side stand. The jack slid right under. I placed the one arm under the foreward part of the double stand and the other arm on the tulsa belly pan. Up it went and I couldnt believe how stable it was. It felt more stable than my Valk interstate with the adapter. I had to raise it higher than I thought to get the wheel out. After removing the old stock dunlop 250 I decided to see how the wheel checked for balance without a tire. The wheel took about 1 0z of weight to balance it alone and it was about 90 degrees off from the valve stem. This was my chance to try my new Marc Parnes wheel balancer. This little balancer works great. I then proceeded to mount and balance my new avon 70 series tire. Getting the new tirew to squeeze up in the fender was kinda tight, but with some wiggling it went in and on with no trouble. Now for the road test and gps comparison. I reset my trip meter and the odometer on the gps to 0. I took a nice little ride. I set my cruise at 65 on the speedo. Gps said 64.7 to 65.3 with the variations of the cruise control. I would say that is as spot on accurate as you could get. I pulled back into my yard in the rain a while later. I had 38.5 miles showing on the trip meter. I pulled up the gps odo and it said 38.9 miles. I couldn't be happier. I would of put the front avon on today but it is raining now. I had 8900 miles on the stock 250 lops. The rear is about half worn and wearing excellent. The front is cupping quite badly and nearing the wear bars. All in all I havent been been disappointed with the 250's. I have run about 5 sets of the venoms on my valk state and been very happy with them. I sure like the feel of this 70 on my wing. That is my report. I hope you find it interesting.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I use a different method for changing rear tire, I lay a blanked along the right hand side of the bike, Lay the bike on the right side, Remove the five lug nuts, pull tire out.... Takes about 4 Min's with a electric lug nut remover (drill).

Front wheel with it on center stand and a small jack under front of engine.

JMHO 8)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts